The Lying Excuse of Development Time

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I remember in Wasteland 2 where you used a prisoner to fulfill a quest to move onto the next section. The Warden threatened you to make sure you bring him back. It did not matter if you brought him back, he pretty much said nothing

I remember in F:NV that there was a food shortage going on. Funnily enough, there was a Vault nearby with modified plants that could be used as food. Could you use this as a possible solution? No. Yes, I know this is not technically a cRPG but it's targeted at Obsidian who is responsible for many of the little things that they never thought about while making their games. Like, if you going to complain about the storytelling of other studios, make sure yours don't have glaring plot holes in them. I can say that they write better than Bethsheda but that isnt saying much

If I remember the issues I had with Baulder's Gate, Fallout and Pillars of Eternity not keeping track of story events, I'll write it here. I have complained about them before but on V1 of this site

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I remember in Wasteland 2 where you used a prisoner to fulfill a quest to move onto the next section. The Warden threatened you to make sure you bring him back. It did not matter if you brought him back, he pretty much said nothing
Did other quests take what you did into account or were they all like that?

I remember in F:NV that there was a food shortage going on. Funnily enough, there was a Vault nearby with modified plants that could be used as food. Could you use this as a possible solution? No. Yes, I know this is not technically a cRPG but it's targeted at Obsidian who is responsible for many of the little things that they never thought about while making their games. Like, if you going to complain about the storytelling of other studios, make sure yours don't have glaring plot holes in them. I can say that they write better than Bethsheda but that isnt saying much
I would consider it a CRPG, but its also known to have a lengthy summary of the events and what happened after you finished the game. Having a quest or two broken isn't uncommon, especially since Obsidian never gets enough time to finish its games.

If I remember the issues I had with Baulder's Gate, Fallout and Pillars of Eternity not keeping track of story events, I write it here. I have complained about them before but on V1 of this site
I mean, these sound more like bugs then intended story outcomes.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The truth of the matter is just that games get announced prematurely and released prematurely. Announcing games with a trailer when their development is barely past the planning phase might be an economic necessity, but it's also an artistic absurdity. In an ideal world, a games development would only be announced once there's a playable alpha.

And I'm well aware that even at that point there's still a chance the entire thing will be thrown out and started all over from scratch somewhere along the line but at least at that point the "game" is more than just a handful of pre rendered scenes that really only constitute a declaration of an intention of an artistic interpretation of a proof of concept of what may or may not be translated into a game at some point in the future, passed of as a binding announcement.

And so it circles back to bad management. There are exceptions to the rule on the first statement as well. This video gets into that regarding FROM’s process -

Of course, it goes without saying that this approach wouldn’t work for everyone because then it would become a trend and ultimately normalcy.

Reactions: BrawlMan