The Mandalorian Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
OTOH, they turned Boba from a little ***** who gets taken down by a nearly blind man to a fairly competent bounty hunter when we actually see him do shit on screen.

If that's the price to pay for a voice retcon, yeah, I'm fine with that.
I think Temuera Morrison is too old, too short and too heavy set to play a character that's supposed to be younger, taller and lither. Guy doesn't even have a neck. The Maori accent is distracting. And of course after Jango and Mando and I don't know how many other knockoffs Boba has lost his luster. Boba Fett was special not because of whatever he achieved in the movies - he just stood out as someone cool and distinct from the other million background aliens and robots.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
It was a great entrance for Luke. We wanted to see him post episode 6 when he was making his new Jedi Order. It was so good seeing someone in clad black while holding a green saber.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I think Temuera Morrison is too old, too short and too heavy set to play a character that's supposed to be younger, taller and lither. Guy doesn't even have a neck. The Maori accent is distracting. And of course after Jango and Mando and I don't know how many other knockoffs Boba has lost his luster. Boba Fett was special not because of whatever he achieved in the movies - he just stood out as someone cool and distinct from the other million background aliens and robots.
I knew there was something off about this Boba, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.
I thought it was the suit under the armor, but if he’s shorter and bulkier than OG Boba that might be what I’m picking up.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I knew there was something off about this Boba, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.
I thought it was the suit under the armor, but if he’s shorter and bulkier than OG Boba that might be what I’m picking up.
Morrison is about 4 inches shorter than OG Boba. He's also about 3 inches shorter than Pedro Pascal/Mando. Nothing you couldn't sort with Tom Cruise brand boxes, but one reason why he might look "off". To me it's that and the fact that Morrison looks too bulky for Boba, and moves like he's 60 because the actor is 59.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That was my problem with him though. He was "cool" and that was it, and it was because he had cool looking armor and apparently had issues bringing bounties back alive(unless Vader was fucking with him with the "No Disintegrations" crack). So seeing him mentioned up until now was pretty much a joke to me and now I can be happy there's some action to back up the rep, not just "Hey, dude has some cool looking gear".

Anyway, Ep 16 was pretty good. One of my few complaints was that after gideon grabbed a gun after he's been detained nobody even mentioned the idea of just killing the fucker. At this point, you know his word means garbage and he's already shown not watching him closely is a bad idea. One can only imagine he'll pull a grievous and escape custody in season 3 at some point.

Also, the whole thing about the Dark Saber was interesting. I didn't remember that bit of lore in Clone Wars(was it in Clone Wars) but yeah, I can see how this is gonna be awkward for everyone, especially how Mando was clearly "Seriously?" about the rule. I was almost hoping he'd tell her "I won't tell anyone. I promise".

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
To be fair, it is also mentioned that Boba is a pure clone (or whatever they called it) and thus develops like a normal person and not a Caminoan growth accelerated clone.
I can't really keep their whole cloning rules straight, to be honest. They made a plot point that the clones are starting to have issues because they're "Stretching the available genetic code too far" or something and while I'm not an expert on cloning, it feels like a really arbitrary handwave. You're copying a gene sample. Hypothetically you should be able to do this indefinitely but they can't for reasons.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Don't you know that cloning is just like cooking? Every time you want to make a new clone you need to take a pinch of DNA and add to the bio-stew you've got brewing. For every pinch you've got a little less DNA to use and suddenly it is as empty as my pepper mill and then it just tastes bland. If Windu hadn't chopped Jango's head off they could regularly have milked him for more DNA spice (what's this analogy again?) and made an endless line of tasty Clone dishes.
Yeah, I mean, Cloning is what the Kaminons(?) DO, apparently and they knew that they'd be taking very large orders for years, if not decades. You'd think "We're running low on Jango DNA" wouldn't ever be an issue, because I'd hate to think their entire clone army is dependent on Jango just sticking around Kamino to keep giving blood samples forever.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've just started watching this show. Episode 4, Sanctuary, was so bad it almost makes me want to stop right here. The plot was incredibly hokey and the acting was terrible. I thought he was supposed to be some sort of emotionally distant lone wolf type, but he's telling some random farm woman his life story and almost lets her take off his helmet after, like, one scene together? Ok.

Also, the plot where you take a bunch of country bumpkins and train them up in a day to fight off an army of well equipped bandits/soldiers/mercenaries/whatever with sticks has never and will never be a good plot, stop using it!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've just started watching this show. Episode 4, Sanctuary, was so bad it almost makes me want to stop right here. The plot was incredibly hokey and the acting was terrible. I thought he was supposed to be some sort of emotionally distant lone wolf type, but he's telling some random farm woman his life story and almost lets her take off his helmet after, like, one scene together? Ok.

Also, the plot where you take a bunch of country bumpkins and train them up in a day to fight off an army of well equipped bandits/soldiers/mercenaries/whatever with sticks has never and will never be a good plot, stop using it!
Yeah, the "Training the peaceful villagers" plot is a cliche but I appreciated the twist that the bandits had the equivalent of a tank with them, one the villagers were not at all capable of damaging by themselves(and even Mando and Cara had a hard time with). I mean, if they can make an AT-ST of all things into a credible threat, that's a point in it's favor.

And remember, this "Emotionally distant lone wolf" type also got himself in a universe of shit by rescuing Baby Yoda from the Empire, despite the fact he could have just walked away with the Beskar(and notably the empire held up their end of the bargain on that). It hints he's not as detached as he likes to act like he is.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yeah, the "Training the peaceful villagers" plot is a cliche but I appreciated the twist that the bandits had the equivalent of a tank with them, one the villagers were not at all capable of damaging by themselves(and even Mando and Cara had a hard time with). I mean, if they can make an AT-ST of all things into a credible threat, that's a point in it's favor.

And remember, this "Emotionally distant lone wolf" type also got himself in a universe of shit by rescuing Baby Yoda from the Empire, despite the fact he could have just walked away with the Beskar(and notably the empire held up their end of the bargain on that). It hints he's not as detached as he likes to act like he is.
Yeah, it hints. He also gave part of his earnings to orphans. Those are both miles away from "suddenly I'm seriously considering settling down with this one-step-above-extra farm woman who brought me food and is really quite pushy on how to raise a baby yoda." That is just so out of character from what we've seen in the previous 3 episodes, and makes him look really desperate and lame.

Also, honestly I was hoping baby yoda would have been dumped off somewhere already, and we could have had more fun bounty hunting action without that extra baggage.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, it hints. He also gave part of his earnings to orphans. Those are both miles away from "suddenly I'm seriously considering settling down with this one-step-above-extra farm woman who brought me food and is really quite pushy on how to raise a baby yoda." That is just so out of character from what we've seen in the previous 3 episodes, and makes him look really desperate and lame.

Also, honestly I was hoping baby yoda would have been dumped off somewhere already, and we could have had more fun bounty hunting action without that extra baggage.
I honestly didn't notice him being that interested, to be fair. Especially being so coy about why he can't take his helmet off. Though ironically he still shows more range in that helmet then Cara "Eternal Smirk" Dune does with her face.

It becomes his arc for a while to play single dad to baby yoda....while doing bounty hunting missions to pay the rent/ship repair money.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Season 2 episode 1 was kind of dumb. The best plan they could come up with was to bury land mines and try to bomb the dragon?

The whole time I was wondering why they didn't strap the bombs to a bantha and feed it to the dragon and then they did it anyway after the dumb plan failed! If they would have thought of doing that from the start they could have saved a lot of time, effort, and lives. But I guess there wouldn't have been much drama then.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Season 2 episode 1 was kind of dumb. The best plan they could come up with was to bury land mines and try to bomb the dragon?

The whole time I was wondering why they didn't strap the bombs to a bantha and feed it to the dragon and then they did it anyway after the dumb plan failed! If they would have thought of doing that from the start they could have saved a lot of time, effort, and lives. But I guess there wouldn't have been much drama then.
It was an extended reference to Knights of the Old Republic 1, which did the exact same thing with a krayt dragon.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This is why I hate references. Best scene in the season two was Boba Fett getting slammed through a table

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Uh, did you miss the scene where the Tuskens tried feeding a bantha to the Krayt dragon which was clearly wise to their shit because it ate the Tusken and left the bantha alone?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Uh, did you miss the scene where the Tuskens tried feeding a bantha to the Krayt dragon which was clearly wise to their shit because it ate the Tusken and left the bantha alone?
Didn't Mando get eaten with a bunch of explosives wrapped around him?