The Mandate Kickstarter Combines FTL with XCOM

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'm starting to get the feeling that FTL created a new sub-genre of strategy game[footnote]FTL itself also fits in as a roguelike, but then Doom and Wolfenstein both got classed as "action" back in the day, too. Yes, that used to be a real genre, not just something that whoever designed the Google Play store should get fired for using instead of something more descriptive.[/footnote], the starship management simulator. I mean, first there was FTL, now there's Star Command for iOS, Android, and (in the near future) PC, and now this thing is coming down the pipes, too.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
This is a bit too ambitious for the small amount they seem to be asking for, that said, I will keep an eye on this one.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Interesting design choice they've made there, mixing up the Imperial and the Soviet aesthetic. With this attention to detail, that's another hilarious post in the ru_klukva community waiting to happen.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Yeah, this game looks cool. I may back it.

500,000? I think they can do it for that. To start they are using Unity3D, one of the cheapest engines out there to use.

I reckon it'll smash its goal once more people know of it. Gotta love a game that's customizable too. And we all love some X-Com style gaming, well most of us.

Yeah, good luck to the Mandate team.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
It's a neat concept but while it's possible to make a game like that for $500k, I don't trust a relatively unknown team to deliver.

Still, if it makes it to release they can probably expect my money at that time - just not before.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
Kicktracker is saying this game will just make it to about 50k shy. Which reminds me of what it was saying around this time with Elite Dangerous, which was successful in the end.

I'll pledge.