The many accents on the island known as Ireland...

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Evilbunny said:
I think the guy from the lucky charms commercials is really annoying. So, whatever he's got.
Actually he sounds Corkish to me.... but maybe that's just me.
Also I've only ever heard of them from friends abroad. Strangely enough, you wouldn't see anything about lucky charms over here~

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
coxafloppin said:
I live in Belfast.

It nots the worse accent in Ireland, Its the worse accent IN THE WORLD
Ill second that. My step mum is from belfast, And we go over once a year. The accent is fun at first, But when you've got a well spoken Manchester accent, You feel like the outsider, AND after about a week the belfast accent REALLY grates the skin.

I can do a Southern irish accent, But i'd never do it in ireland, They'd murder me.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
I've always found the Northern accents hard to understand.Had a neighbour from Donegal for a while.Nice bloke but couldn't understand half of what he was saying to me

The worst though is the Northside Cork City accent(and this is coming from a Corkman).It just sounds horrible to me

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm not actually Irish, but I am going there next summer. It should be intriguing to see if I can distinguish the accents from one another.

Canadians have a pretty good ear for dialects. If anyone is from the Ottawa Valley, I can immediately distinguish them from a Toronto inhabitant.

Still, it'll be an interesting trip.

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I'm not actually Irish, but I am going there next summer. It should be intriguing to see if I can distinguish the accents from one another.

Canadians have a pretty good ear for dialects. If anyone is from the Ottawa Valley, I can immediately distinguish them from a Toronto inhabitant.

Still, it'll be an interesting trip.
Ah I'm going to ottawa next month! Any dogey accent-traits to look out for?

Also I must add of course Canadians would have good ears for CANADIAN dialects. Just like over here we can pretty much tell a lot about a person by how they say "boi". Still, north, south east and west all have distinct differences. See if you can catch them all xD

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ZeLunarian said:
Ah I'm going to ottawa next month! Any dogey accent-traits to look out for?

Also I must add of course Canadians would have good ears for CANADIAN dialects. Just like over here we can pretty much tell a lot about a person by how they say "boi". Still, north, south east and west all have distinct differences. See if you can catch them all xD
Well, if your going to Ottawa, you might get side tracked by a couple of Gatineau crossovers. Honestly, it is amazing how much changes as soon as you cross over into Hull. Their french accents are completely different from people living in Shawville, where they just speak what I call Franglish.

There's a lot of diversity in Ottawa, so you pretty much get a mix of everything. Its pretty easy to follow along, if you pay attention.

Up further, around Renfrew and Pembroke, everyone talks the same though. True born Valley accent. A little Scottish influence, but I find its pretty distinct from anything in the city.

Have a fun trip.

Duskwaith

Sep 20, 2008
Im from Belfast but i am told i sound totally different to anyone from here. My accent is more smoother

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Oh good God. Do not lump the Republic of Ireland with Northern Ireland. I know there's this whole duo-nationality thing because we're big whinges here but, truth be told, we suck something shocking compared to down south. It's a lovely place in the rest of Ireland but you see Northern Ireland? Gee whiz. Anyway, it's just our accents that are the God-awful one, proper Irish accents (for the most part) are lovely.
Apparently mine's posh but, of course, posh for a Belfast, Northern Irish accent. And aye; the dialect is completely made up of slang, even I can't understand it half of the time. I mean, I've had more than enough people honk their horns at me and as they drive off, they say, "Harggahaghblaag, yeeeeoooo!"

Er. Orite?

MrMuttonChops

Jan 5, 2011
I'm from Carlow Lad! But I actually don't seem to have any accent unless I'm putting it on. Yeah don't come here it's full of scumbags