The mark of the Chemist

Miffmoff

Aug 31, 2009
We must have all done something stupid in the chemistry lab.

I have two examples
*Picking up a crucible after I'd made some glass in said crucible, I wanted a closer look and only realised after about ten seconds that it was really, really hot.
* Inhaling concentrated ammonia during a silver halide test, that was the most painful experience in my entire life.

So, what "accidents" have you had in the Chemistry lab?

May 23, 2010
Taking chemistry. I didn't do anything stupid, it was just a really painful class, due to the horrendous teacher. If it wasn't for him I'm sure I'd love chemistry.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
Nothing exciting in Chemistry, but in Biology I remember that I decided to cook some animal bits on a hot plate.

At least the rest of class smelled good.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
We were making salts, so we neutralised acids and then evaporated them (and I know I probably just made some Chemistry student cry just now). I had used too much acid, hence the solution was too acidic but I hadn't noticed. So we were burning off the solution to get at the salty centre, and I walked downwind of it. I actually recoiled in the pain. I have never had a smell punch me in the face before.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
My meth lab once blew up! Haha, jokes aside, I haven't taken high level chemistry classes in school, and after school I'm mostly into programming although chemistry always amused me.

So, I didn't have a chance to fuck up anything that could actually hurt you - no acid, no hot anything, and so on. So, no mark of the chemist for me. Although I've got my share of burns and cuts in robotics.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I spilled various chemicals on myself every time I did a lab in my AP Chemistry class. The worst was the 12-molar hydrochloric acid I spilled on my hand. That was not fun.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Picked up a glass beaker with tongs, only to discover that they were the sort where you squeeze to let go... not squeeze to grip.

*Smash*

*Fizz*

"MCCOULL!"

That was an exaggeration, but they don't let me hold stuff anymore. And I had to clean it up.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Taking chemistry. I didn't do anything stupid, it was just a really painful class, due to the horrendous teacher. If it wasn't for him I'm sure I'd love chemistry.
Yeah, what is it about chemistry teachers, I think there must be come requirement for them all to be absolute social retards so can't teach to save their lives.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
No accidents here, as I haven't taken Chemistry nor do I plan to take it in the future.

But, uh... the closest thing I've got to an accident involving scientific equipment was a rather fun lesson playing about with a soldering iron. I burnt my thumb a little, and singed one of my hairs. But nothing major.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
LiberalSquirrel said:
I spilled various chemicals on myself every time I did a lab in my AP Chemistry class.\
The A.P. Chemistry that you can take in my school is actually an Online Course.

I'm taking Honors, so is there anything I should be warned about?

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
Miffmoff said:
* Inhaling concentrated ammonia during a silver halide test, that was the most painful experience in my entire life.
Different experiment, same result. My lab partner caught the measuring cylinder of NH3 with his sleeve and it went all over the desk. I immediately grabbed some blue-roll to mop it up before we all choked on it and managed to breathe in sharply as I was leaning over the puddle. The entire inside of my head was on fire for the next two days. Fun!

-Nick

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I once got hydrochloric acid (1 molar if you want to know) and didn't know for about five minutes.

Mazar_Nomoid

Jun 30, 2010
Nothing really since I was cool with the teacher and she made the class fun.
But there was that time when we didn't measure right since we used the flask and not the cylinder thing to measure and she got mad....I guess that was stupid.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
zHellas said:
LiberalSquirrel said:
I spilled various chemicals on myself every time I did a lab in my AP Chemistry class.\
The A.P. Chemistry that you can take in my school is actually an Online Course.

I'm taking Honors, so is there anything I should be warned about?
Well, you won't have to worry about chemical spills with an online course, at least. There's some tough stuff in Chemistry, so... study. A lot. Especially if you're bad at Chemistry like I am (I managed to get a 5 on the AP test despite my very Physics-oriented, non-Chemistry friendly brain). And memorize the polyatomic ions now.

That's about all I got- it's been a couple of years since I took the class. Good luck!

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
I got concentrated nitric acid on my hands... It turns them yellow, so I thought it was iodine. Whilst washing my hands, I realised we hadn't been using iodine, and I was turning the acid into a solution that could burn my skin. Ridiculously fucking painful, and I advise against it.

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
T-Bone24 said:
We were making salts, so we neutralised acids and then evaporated them (and I know I probably just made some Chemistry student cry just now). I had used too much acid, hence the solution was too acidic but I hadn't noticed. So we were burning off the solution to get at the salty centre, and I walked downwind of it. I actually recoiled in the pain. I have never had a smell punch me in the face before.
You are right, I did just cry a little bit :p

Anyway, I've had a round bottomed flask explode once; but luckily it exploded in the other direction. Note to self: Always check round bottomed flasks for cracks before performing a distillation

Also synthesized a perfume precursor in organic chem, and it would not come off my hands for so long. Atleast it smelt somewhat good.