The Matrix Online Closing Down

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Matrix Online Closing Down

After four years of operation, The Matrix Online [http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/] is cutting the hard line.

In a farewell message posted on the official Sony Online Entertainment [http://forums.station.sony.com/mxo/posts/list.m?topic_id=36300028715] will pull the plug on the sci-fi MMOG on July 31. "It has been a good run. Where many games have fizzled out before or shortly after launch, by August we will have lived on in our home at SOE for more than 4 years," he wrote. "To this day, I have never worked with a community as dedicated as The Matrix Online community."

Perhaps inspired by the blaze-of-glory finish [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89783-Tabula-Rasa-Going-Out-In-A-Blaze-Of-Glory] of Tabula Rasa, the Matrix Online team is promising a big "end of the world" finish for its players. "It won't be quite the same as having over 100 developers in the game as Agents like when we ended beta, but we have 4 years of tricks up our sleeve," Myers continued. "It'll be a chance to revisit all the things that make MxO the memorable experience it is. And how could we pull the plug without crushing everyone's RSI just one more time?"

An FAQ [http://forums.station.sony.com/mxo/posts/list.m?topic_id=36300028716] following the announcement says Sony will stop billing for the game effective June 1 and that anyone with a multi-month subscription or game time card that extends past that date will have the balance refunded. The Matrix Online forums will remain available for a brief period after the game ends, with a specific closure date to be revealed later.

"I have a lot of fond memories from my years working on MxO. We've had a good time in the Machines' little playground and will be sad to see it end," Myers wrote. "I hope everyone enjoys the last few months of playing The Matrix Online. See you on the other side."

via: Warcry [http://www.warcry.com/news/view/92021-Matrix-Online-To-Shut-Down-End-of-July]

Lothros Andastar

Dec 3, 2008
And yet you have Games like EvE online just growing and growing.

Making a Good MMO is not hard. Devs are just getting Lazy, knowing they can take all their money then just cut the game after 3 or 4 years.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, are they going to allow unpaid private servers to operate?

That strikes me as the biggest risk in MMO's, what do you do when the owner's have had enough but you want to keep playing? It seems odd that they should just pack up and expect everyone to forget about it, imagine if Id tried to stop everyone in the world playing Quake?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I thought this had happened an age ago. I am pleasantly suprised, though I never played it. it was a interesting idea with lots of promise.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Awwww. :(

I really liked the concept of the Matrix Online and I thought it had a hell of a lot of potential. It closing down makes me a sad panda, but I can only hope the developers can focus on possibly making some new Matrix console games.....come on, the players want it! :D

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I never got into this MMO.

But it is sad to know the amount of work that went into it, just to see it all end.

It is the average MMOs that make the Good MMOs Good. Always remember that.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
I feel sad not knowing this game existed and now it's dead. Aw well, hopefully their "Big finish" will be truly spectacular.
This.

I would have played this game.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I checked if the game is still alive some time ago, and I was tempted to buy it... But then I saw crappy gameplay videos and I changed my mind. Good thing, I guess.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I didn't know this game existed, but it sounded like it had potential. Shame I won't get to try it at some stage...

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
This is the main reason why I think MMO's are pointless. They get shut down. I don't think it's right or fair to the playerbase who want to continue playing. SOE should offer some kind of private server software that fans can purchase to host their own servers and continue playing.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
I feel sad not knowing this game existed and now it's dead. Aw well, hopefully their "Big finish" will be truly spectacular.
I wish I had known of this games existance before...

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Not surprised, this was one of those "good idea, poorly executed" games. Shame really, the source material had such potential.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Wait they're closing down a game based on the mid 90's zeitgeist of computer hackers and ravers? That...that just doesn't make sense.

Honestly I know nothing about this game, it could be great, but its whole premise and aesthetic is tied to a movie franchise that had, in most people's estimation, one good entry. And even that felt very 1999. I'm honestly surprised it's hung on for this long.