The Microtransactor!

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
dragongit said:
EA's next marketing strategy? Buying every magazine for your gun. There are now no longer any random ammo loot. You are free of course to focus on melee weapons... that they sell for a premium at their store. Want to use fists? You have to buy that ability in the collectors edition DLC. Want to progress to level 2? Sorry but thats barred with a gate, that requires this specific key for the low low price of 9.99 or your regional equivalent.

You are of course expected to pay the usual hourly fee so your 360, PS3, or equivalent doesn't simply shred your disc and burn it to ash. To finish your transaction, please link your bank account directly to EA.
Your avatar is from Fallout 3. Where you had to pay $15 for the real ending. I really feel like Bethesda might do something like this first.
Fallout New Vegas was worse. The vanilla ending of the game is just so disappointing but every one of its DLC is worth it and the last one is the true ending to game, but it's obsidian and Bethesda so I can't say I'm as reluctant to throw them some extra cash as I am as at EA, even if it is for Visceral.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Scorpid said:
Frostbite3789 said:
dragongit said:
EA's next marketing strategy? Buying every magazine for your gun. There are now no longer any random ammo loot. You are free of course to focus on melee weapons... that they sell for a premium at their store. Want to use fists? You have to buy that ability in the collectors edition DLC. Want to progress to level 2? Sorry but thats barred with a gate, that requires this specific key for the low low price of 9.99 or your regional equivalent.

You are of course expected to pay the usual hourly fee so your 360, PS3, or equivalent doesn't simply shred your disc and burn it to ash. To finish your transaction, please link your bank account directly to EA.
Your avatar is from Fallout 3. Where you had to pay $15 for the real ending. I really feel like Bethesda might do something like this first.
Fallout New Vegas was worse. The vanilla ending of the game is just so disappointing but every one of its DLC is worth it and the last one is the true ending to game, but it's obsidian and Bethesda so I can't say I'm as reluctant to throw them some extra cash as I am as at EA, even if it is for Visceral.
I just happened to choose a generic avatar from the site's stock. Bethesda has yet to come to the same level as EA does when it comes to nickle and diming it's customers.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Sorta off topic, but the idea of free roaming in a space battleship graveyard sounds kinda cool. Wish they made the whole game like that.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Pah, the Microtransactor clearly has several glowing weak spots; it should be more than easy enough to take down!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Arakasi said:
Odd train of thought....
EA ATM
EATM
-EAT 'EM
-EA ?
You can also get EAT ME from that. That's the appropriate response to all this microtransaction bollocks.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
dragongit said:

The fun part is, the CEO of EA actually made a speech singing the praises of the business model you're describing

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
That was as a result of fan feedback though. People wanted a new ending and were very vocal about it. Doesn't excuse the terrible original ending, but as far as I know it was not a pre-calculated money grubbing tactic.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
dragongit said:

The fun part is, the CEO of EA actually made a speech singing the praises of the business model you're describing

Should I be laughing or crying? That is spooky, I didn't even know about this speech on microtransactions.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
dragongit said:
Should I be laughing or crying? That is spooky, I didn't even know about this speech on microtransactions.
It's quite the speech. You kinda have to admire that level of shamelessly audacious evil.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
WHY is this such a ridiculous issue for people. Hell, I praised the microtransactions in Dead Space 3 because it's so innocuous that you can completely ignore it. Don't want to spend time searching for parts? (Which to me partly defeats the purpose of Dead Space) Then just spend a buck and get a bunch of items. Simple as that. Feel like playing the damn game and earning your reward? Then don't use microtransactions.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
dashiz94 said:
WHY is this such a ridiculous issue for people. Hell, I praised the microtransactions in Dead Space 3 because it's so innocuous that you can completely ignore it. Don't want to spend time searching for parts? (Which to me partly defeats the purpose of Dead Space) Then just spend a buck and get a bunch of items. Simple as that. Feel like playing the damn game and earning your reward? Then don't use microtransactions.
Maybe. But perhaps in the next game, because people still bought it, EA or their stockholders will take that as a sign that microtransactions are a good thing. And then in Dead Space 4, you won't be able to get anything but the most basic guns without shelling out a little extra.

"Don't like, don't use" is not really a valid counter to a change that people don't like - especially if it's likely to become more prominent in the next game.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
dragongit said:
It's quite the speech. You kinda have to admire that level of shamelessly audacious evil.
I especially liked the evil background music from Star Wars in it XD. Evil it is, when did he say this, was it quite recent?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for the comic, has been some weeks since I liked one of your works.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
dragongit said:
Two things I'd like to point out. One, yes, it is shamlessly how evil and greedy this asshole is.

Secondly, I didn't realize your user name until after the second reply. I read the message and I go "miracle of sound? that sounds like that section on Escapist". Shows how absolutely perceptive I am.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
dragongit said:
Two things I'd like to point out. One, yes, it is shamlessly how evil and greedy this asshole is.

Secondly, I didn't realize your user name until after the second reply. I read the message and I go "miracle of sound? that sounds like that section on Escapist". Shows how absolutely perceptive I am.
Lol, well there ya go :D

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Grey Carter said:
That's alright. I still like you anyway.
Yay! Fuzzy feelings all around!

[youtube]NwrKKbaClME[/youtube]

seems i am failing at youtube tags, heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwrKKbaClME

I must say tough. I only post here and there because I think your work is good, complain (stating my reasons) because I care!!

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
dashiz94 said:
Maybe. But perhaps in the next game, because people still bought it, EA or their stockholders will take that as a sign that microtransactions are a good thing. And then in Dead Space 4, you won't be able to get anything but the most basic guns without shelling out a little extra.

"Don't like, don't use" is not really a valid counter to a change that people don't like - especially if it's likely to become more prominent in the next game.
I have an idea, how about crossing that bridge when we get to it?

My god, just because micro transactions mayy be successful in this game, that doesn't mean they will be thrown in willy nilly into freaking everything.

I mean, these transactions are for lazy people who don't want to work their ass off finding parts. That doesn't mean they will be used next to block core features.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Scorpid said:
Don't see Erin trembling at a mans feet too often. That's just kind of weird
But to be fair, Erin is not the sort to give in to microtransactions when there are the options to shoot it or run away from it. Clutch on the other hand is just gullible enough to cave if it gives him the chance to be the hero for at least a panel or two.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
VanQQisH said:
Please, for the love of God and all that is holy. DON'T GIVE THEM ANY FUNNY IDEAS!

If EA thought for even a microsecond that this could work, they would use it. You know they can't help themselves.
If someone doesn't give them one, where else is EA going to get an idea?