The Monty Python Appreciation Thread

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
I showed a friend of mine, who hadn't seen a single episode of Monty Python until now, the episodes "A Book At Bedtime" and "E.Henry Tripshaw's Disease" yesterday. She just thought it was alright. Laughed a few times, smiled mostly. It's okay to not like Monty Python, I guess.

Now, I can imagine a large quantity of the escapists are grown up with Python and/or big fans. I just wanted to start this thread to see what the community actually thinks of what is in mine and many other's opinions, the greatest comedy show ever made.

Questions: Which is your favorite episode/sketch? Your favorite quote? Film?

Which one is your favorite Python? (Extra points for whoever takes this test: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=mpflyingcircus Post results!)

Personally, my favourite has always been Palin, but the test and most my friends agree that Idle is most like me. And here follows funny:

(I suppose a Poll would have come in handy here, but oh well.)

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
My fav is Palin too, but the quiz says i'm more of Terry Gilliam. Guess because i'm into drawing.

My fav sketch is the The funniest joke in the world

Also, to show that the guys & gals of MontyPython were kinda the same ppl in RealLife[tm] and before the camera, see the Graham Chapman funeral (he died with 48):

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I got Graham Chapman.
Hm. I would sort of like to smoke a pipe if it wasn't for the whole nicotine thing.
I do love this sketch. One of the not as well-known classics.

Oh, yeah. And the argument clinic. That one's just priceless.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Biggus Dickus. Oh man, I had a riot when I saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
There are so many. Especially in their movies but, lets not be too predictable. So I chose Four Yorkshiremen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Damn, someone already posted the Argument Clinic sketch. That one is pure genius, makes me laugh like an idiot every time I watch it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Speakercone said:
gotta be the argument sketch. Easily my favourite.

Hang on a minute. That's not an argument clinic, it's a debating society!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Though, they are aware of it themselves, and thus:

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
"All right stop that, STOP THAT! This thread has become silly. It started off as a nice appreciation thread, but now it's just gotten silly! I am warning this thread NOT TO BECOME SILLY AGAIN. Carry on."

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
All of it, I suppose.

Favorite Lines:

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

"Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?!"

"She turned me into a newt!" "...A newt?" "...Well, I... got better."

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
My favs are Palin and Chapman, definitely. But I like them all in a way, of course. I obsessively watched the whole Flying Circus and all films more times than it's healthy.

One of my favourite sketches (not already mentioned):

From movies, I think Life of Brian is my favourite.

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
Fave python? Got to say Terry Jones. Favourite movie being Holy Grail.

And favourite sketch... I got to say the ministry of silly walks. Because politics.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Cant believe no one has posted up this yet, its so utterly bizzare that its bordering on genius.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
If you haven't already you need to check out "How to Irritate People" from 1968. Its true Python humour and will give you a few giggles. It actually created the idea for the dead parrot sketch (in this version its a used car) but for the best sketch you should YouTube for the Airline Pilots piece.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I give to you (the original) "The Parrot Sketch"... and the moment I knew I'd marry my then-girlfriend when she couldn't breathe through 3/4 of it.