The moral behind Skyrim's two factions

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
Stormcloaks: Nationalism, anger against foreign rule, fighting against the incompetence of the current ruling administration. If you support the Stormcloaks, you are basically saying "The Thalmor suck, the Empire is weak, Skyrim should be ruled by it's people and no one else".

Imperial: Law, Order, Solidarity. Supporters of the Empire believe the best way to face the dragon menace (and the Thalmor) is to hold to the tradition and strength of the Empire. Anyone who tries to break away is just weakening the whole for everyone.

Neither side is really wrong, and both have their downsides. The Stormcloaks are a bit too keen on the "Skyrim for the Nords" thing, and the Empire in it's current state is weak and too willing to acquiesce to the Thalmor, which is what got them into this situation in the first place.
No, the Stormcloaks are flat out wrong. The war started when the Empire agreed to the treaty and the Stormcloaks threw their toys out of the pram. The Empire does not support the Thalmor, and even General Tullius will tell you that the signing of the treaty was a tactical defeat and is necessary if the Empire ever has hope of holding Tamriel again. If they didn't sign it, everyone and their dog would be under Thalmor control or dead. The Empire don't plan to be friends with the Thalmor - they plan to gain strength and strike again.

The Stormcloaks on the other hand completely misunderstand this, go mental and say "SKYRIM IS FOR THE NORDS".

Eh. I can't see how anyone could logically support the Stormcloaks. Emotionally maybe, but logically? Not at all. Especially when they are in favour of racial discrimination and borderline slavery.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Jandau said:
Honestly, there is no justification for joining the Stormcloaks other than "My character is a racist and/or moron"...
I feel that way about the Empire.

Lets look at their negatives:
-Abondoned Hammerfell, and half of their main military power (Other half being Skyrim. High Rock is their mages, but Cyrodiil itself got raped in the great war. By isolating their military power, they are basically asking for the Thalmor to kill them.
-Draining Skyrim's resources to maintain a failing empire with little authority that, whilst they may want to rise up against the Thalmor eventually, are currently the Thalmor's ***** well and truly. If the Thalmor want something done, the empire will do it. No question. If they don't, they get annihilation. Skyrim would be better off on its own, as it would have all its resources for itself rather than spread among a failing empire.
-Many of their secrets and plans have indefinitely been stolen by Thalmor. You don't honestly believe the Thalmor only take prisoners of those who worship Talos? No, they too would be preparing for a new war - they aren't so short sighted as to not see it coming - and would be taking numerous people that they believe hold information that they would need to win that war. Empire's secrets belong to the Thalmor.
-Cultural Genocide. Sure, they may be forced into doing it, but the empire is destroying all Talos culture, or keeping it that well hidden that it might as well not matter. If the empire doesn't act out against Talos worship, the Thalmor will go to war with them. As such, they hide all the Talos worship they can, punish those they can't, and let the Thalmor find their hidden Talos worshippers and kill them.
-Would lead to incompetent rule of Skyrim. When the war is over, who will lead Skyrim? General Tullius? I sure hope not. Elisif? She doesn't even know how to run her own hold, let alone an entire nation, and she is the obvious choice for the Moot Jarls to elect. Some politician bought in by the Empire? Further ruin the trust you have with the Nords by destroying more of their traditions, go on. There most likely will not be a good ruler of Skyrim once the war is over if the Imperials win. The only option would be for someone like Bulgraaf to take the throne, but you can see Elisif has her eyes on it, and who's to say what will happen if she doesn't get her way? Lets hope her advisors can still keep her in check.

Now, the common complaints against the Stormcloaks:
-They're Racist Nazi's.
Really? Last I checked they weren't killing a cultural sect en mass for little reason, that was the Empire and the Thalmor. No, they are merely very cautious of other nations - with good reason. Morrowind is being invaded by the Argonians, The Thalmor are trying to destroy their culture and eventually them, and the other races would end up burdening Skyrim after the war, with them running to her from their own wars in places like Morrowind. In addition, they are only nationalist against non humans, seeing as all humans on Tamriel came from Skyrim they are all their brothers and sisters in a sense. He also does not go out and try to kill the other races unless they are at war with him, he will just not lend them his aid, preferring to keep his resources for the war and let them take care of their own problems.
-Ulfric is in it for Ulfric.
Which is why he turns down being instantly crowned king of Skyrim, and says to let the Moot decide, all the time sounding like he knows it might not go his way, despite his advisors confidence. Yes, there is a pretty good chance it will go his way, but that is not bad. He is a good leader. Look at the Stormcloaks, they managed to get half of Skyrim on their side thanks to his leadership. He is charismatic and confident, and a good warrior. He would be a better commander in a war against the Thalmor than anyone else due to his ability to rally the Nords to his call, and his physical and mental warrior prowess. His voice also gives him an advantage over the normal warrior.
-Ulfric's Dossier implies he is a Thalmor spy.
No. It implies he was captured and manipulated by the Thalmor, and was then further manipulated into attacking Markarth after his release. It also implies that he no longer responds to them, and they do not want him to win the war (Or the empire), as either way it would be bad for them. They know he is not their pawn, if he was they would get him to win the war so that they would control Skyrim. What Ulfric's dossier implies is that he has an understanding of how the Thalmor interrogate and manipulate, and will have a greater hatred for them than most, whilst still being willing to listen to them (Even though he is so racist he would go all genocidal on their ass like Hitler >.>) but being far more cautious about it thanks to his experience of them manipulating them.

What would Stormcloak victory mean:
-United Skyrim [Moot would elect high King/Queen. In the end whoever was elected would be trusted by other Jarls, possible exception Elisif]
-Lead by one of Skyrim's own, likely Ulfric [Leader trusted by people, competent enough to win a civil war, capable of winning people's loyalty]
-Possible alliance with Hammerfell, combining the main military mights of the old empire together into one force. [Might possibly lead to rebellion in High Rock, leaving the mages of the old Empire to join in with Skyrim and Hammerfell]
-Skyrim would be supporting herself and not her failing allies. [Resources conserved for allies in just as strong a position or self, dependent on how things play out]
-Weakened Skyrim and Empire Military
-Talos worship allowed, Talos blessing may be bestowed more often to others. [Talos does have a blessing, and is real. Glitch in game makes his blessing out to be 0% bonus. This is a display error. Actual bonus is 20%. Would not affect non-Thu'um warriors, but Talos is god of Courage and Honour or something. That would affect them, and give them strength]
-Thalmor kicked out of Skyrim, unable to manipulate her leaders or people.
-Cyrodiil almost certain to fall. [Thalmor attack near certain. Cyrodiil will fall, Skyrim and Hammerfell and possibly High Rock will remain strong]

Empire Victory:
-United Skyrim [Jarls would all be united by the empire. If Moot is called, all will be happy with new leader, possible exception Elisif if it is not her]
-Leadership likely of poor quality [Elisif is the worst choice of a leader, but any Imperial as a leader will get Skyrim hostile against them as it is not their way]
-Alliance with Hammerfell out of the question [Hammerfell is at war with the Thalmor, whilst Skyrim would be sucking up to them with the rest of the Empire. High Rock highly unlikely to rebel]
-Skyrim's resources sent to failing Cyrodiil in attempt to revive.
-Weakened Skyrim and Empire Military
-Talos worship slowly ratted out until only small pockets of isolated worshippers remain. [Thalmor goal of removing Talos worship complete, no warrior gaining bonus from worshipping Talos nor any confidence or comfort from such. Any who do eventually found by Thalmor and taken away]
-Thalmor now have firm hold on Skyrim and her leaders [Skyrim held by WG-C, Thalmor have right to do pretty much anything they want in Skyrim]
-Cyrodiil stabilised, but greatly weakened and relying heavily on Skyim and High Rock, draining their resources. [Near perfect time for Thalmor to attack after a few years, when all nations are weakened by supporting Cyrodiil]

All round, I can only foresee things being worse if the Empire wins, both for Skyrim and for Tamriel as a whole. I'm not being racist or moronic, but I am looking at a large picture and at how things could play out beyond the simple 'Ulfric is nationalist, empire is not' sort of outlook.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
SirDoom said:
Really though, I didn't put much thought into the decision. The Thalmor really pissed me off though, so I decided to pick whichever side was more directly opposed to them. Which just so happened to be the stormcloaks.
They...they really aren't >_>. Give it time, there are tons of great journals in game to steal.
Obvious Ninja said:
SecretNegative said:
Jandau said:
Well, from similar such threads, most Stormcloak supporters go with the "Imperials tried to kill me" argument, which would imply you should join the Nazis in WW2 if you get nearly executed by the USA over a misunderstanding and later pardoned.
This isn't a "misunderstanding and later pardoned", this is, they captured me, realised that I wasn't a Sotrmcloak, but decied "Nah, we'll kill him anyway for teh lulz".
One person did, and someone else disagreed with her. They didn't all vote on that or anything, it was just one crazy *****.
And then the next guy you meet says torturing is necessary.

Then the commander is fine with letting entire cities of people be massacred because he doesn't respect their decision to be neutral.

About the only cool people in either major faction are that random soldiers and the imperial second in command.

Otherwise its like 99% trolls and villains.

The Mighty Pepper said:
Finally, I hate Ulfric. He was a power-hungry, intolerant, short-sighted ass hole.
And I hate him.
So. Much.

OH! Imperials have cooler looking armour too! And aren't HORRIBLY racist. Only a little racist... I can live with that.
Imperials came across as boyscouts in terms of the random NPC. Non-ranking stormcloaks usually did too.

The moment you threw an NPC name on a stormcloak they became super duper racist.

But yes, Ulfric is a taint stain. Next to Black-Briar he's the most obnoxious character I've met.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
SillyBear said:
No, the Stormcloaks are flat out wrong. The war started when the Empire agreed to the treaty and the Stormcloaks threw their toys out of the pram. The Empire does not support the Thalmor, and even General Tullius will tell you that the signing of the treaty was a tactical defeat and is necessary if the Empire ever has hope of holding Tamriel again. If they didn't sign it, everyone and their dog would be under Thalmor control or dead. The Empire don't plan to be friends with the Thalmor - they plan to gain strength and strike again.

The Stormcloaks on the other hand completely misunderstand this, go mental and say "SKYRIM IS FOR THE NORDS".

Eh. I can't see how anyone could logically support the Stormcloaks. Emotionally maybe, but logically? Not at all. Especially when they are in favour of racial discrimination and borderline slavery.
1. See my above post
2. No, they would have stood a chance at winning if Cyrodiil hadn't of signed the WG-C. The only territory that would have lost was Cyrodiil. Skyrim was still fresh and untouched by the war, and one of the Empire's two powerhouses, Hammerfell, whilst at the time half occupied, would after the signing manage to absolutely devastate the Thalmor and kick them out of Hammerfell, and High Rock I've got no clue what happened to, but we hear nothing about what happened to them in the great war, so it can't have been to bad.
3. The Empire may not directly support the Thalmor, but it is a 'tactical defeat' to do whatever they ask at the moment. Hence, they are controlled by the Thalmor if not necessarily supporting them.
4. Yes, SOME of the Stormcloaks are overenthusiastic about Skyrim for the Nords, but they don't actively fight anyone who they aren't at war with. Dark elves aren't fought and slaughtered for being in Skyrim, no, they are just left without support if they get into trouble, as they are not Nords.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can logically support the empire. It would be like if Britain was invaded by... China, conquered, and then they signed a treaty saying them and all of their allies would give up Christianity and let the Chinese do whatever they wanted in their territories, never mind that America - the military powerhouse of the world - had not yet been touched by this, but the president went ahead and said 'Ok, we'll support Britain. Everyone stop worshipping God, and let the Thalmor do what they want'. I'm pretty sure things would seem very different to anyone in America, yet this is very similar to what has happened to Skyrim.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
SillyBear said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Stormcloaks: Nationalism, anger against foreign rule, fighting against the incompetence of the current ruling administration. If you support the Stormcloaks, you are basically saying "The Thalmor suck, the Empire is weak, Skyrim should be ruled by it's people and no one else".

Imperial: Law, Order, Solidarity. Supporters of the Empire believe the best way to face the dragon menace (and the Thalmor) is to hold to the tradition and strength of the Empire. Anyone who tries to break away is just weakening the whole for everyone.

Neither side is really wrong, and both have their downsides. The Stormcloaks are a bit too keen on the "Skyrim for the Nords" thing, and the Empire in it's current state is weak and too willing to acquiesce to the Thalmor, which is what got them into this situation in the first place.

So tell me how they are suppose to gain their strength when they lost 80% of their own provinces. They only have Skyrim and High Rock and Skyrim is already weaken by the civil war. Also your so called "right" Empire SHOULD have stay in the fight. Hammerfell did when the Empire gave them up to please the Elves. So yeah, the Empire IS serving the elves against their own will. They may not like it, but they are helping the Thalmor out.

They are only looking out for themselves, and if the Thalmor declare they want something from the Empire, the Empire are going to let them have it. Because I don't see the Empire even that strong any more. They lost to the Thalmor at full strength. How are they goign to win now when its just them, Skyrim and High rock? No one else is going to come to the Empire aid since the Empire basically said "Screw you guys" when the elves came in.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Oh, a fantasy politics thread, excellent. I choose to back Stannis, he's the only would-be king with any sense of objective justice and rule...

Oh wait, it's about Skyrim...have barely played it enough to come to a decent conclusion about the politics involved. Can I just back the giants? Imagine a thousand mammoths running the Thalmor the fuck over.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Well, Stormcloaks are a bunch of fucking racists and Imperials want Skyrim for the ability to rage war on the surrounding provinces. Both of their agendas are equally stupid and equally evil.

And Skyrim doesn't want to recognize that I am now the second in command of either faction so every guard EVERYWHERE talks down to me. Or that I'm the best Assassin Thief Werewolf anywhere and rule all the guilds and no one wants to recognize it. Skyrim's gaping flaw is the ability to do anything while the decisions being made don't really matter or affect the world around you.

OH, YOUR A THANE, WELL WE WON'T RECOGNIZE YOU FOR ANY GOOD ACT OR ANY GREAT FEAT, ONLY IF YOU STEAL OR DO A BAD ACT WILL I NOTICE!

Skyrim, your a RPG that only allows the illusion of actual choice while the choices don't impact the world like in a table top game like D&D.

Leoforce

Dec 15, 2011
I didn't get a chance to get to see the Civil war missions during my time with it but I do have a comment in regard to the opening, where you are asked to join with the Legion or the Stormcloaks in escaping the burning remains of a town.

In my mind, it's pretty difficult to try and go with the people who were going to kill you about 5 seconds ago, especially since there is no guarantee that they'll let you go after. (Although in this case I'd have to assume that they do; I chose to go with the stormcloak fellow.) That's like a death-row inmate being asked to help reinforce the guards in the event of a riot. It just seems irrational.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
SillyBear said:

You don't have to support someone to completely give in to their demands. The last time the Thalmor made an open bid for Empire territory in Hammerfell, the Empire actually withdrew support and let them have in, in the process hanging the people of Hammerfell out to dry. And while I'm sure the Empire has no intention of just handing over territory, it doesn't change the fact that it's happened before. The Stormcloaks believe that they shouldn't have to pay homage to an Emperor who won't defend them, and even supports the removal one of the most basic tenants of the Empire's foundation. It's a well-known fact that the Nords are proud to a fault, and many of them very well may have preferred fighting to the death for their home and culture rather than give in to foreign influence. Talos was a Nord, and most of the Emperors have been Nords as well. They have arguably the largest hand in the formation, and preservation of the Empire, and they feel alienated by its current state.

As for the whole "The Empire is biding it's time, waiting", how long is long enough? The Thalmor are already making moves on many of it's territories, and even in Skyrim they are marching around like they own the place. What if the Empire never recovers, and just keeps placating the Thalmor till there is nothing left? They already nearly broke their own strength trying to retake their own capital! The Stormcloaks want action now, and they feel that they can make a difference. Can they? That's really up to the Dragonborn. But I feel its right to give people a chance to make their own decisions, especially when their "authority figures" are too distant and weak to actually make a difference.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Leoforce said:
I didn't get a chance to get to see the Civil war missions during my time with it but I do have a comment in regard to the opening, where you are asked to join with the Legion or the Stormcloaks in escaping the burning remains of a town.

In my mind, it's pretty difficult to try and go with the people who were going to kill you about 5 seconds ago, especially since there is no guarantee that they'll let you go after. (Although in this case I'd have to assume that they do; I chose to go with the stormcloak fellow.) That's like a death-row inmate being asked to help reinforce the guards in the event of a riot. It just seems irrational.
From what I've seen, most people who head towards the Imperials in the opening do so because they're the first option they see. That's what happened with me, anyway; I was more concerned with the giant goddamned lizard bearing down on me than the ideology of the guy who was offering to evacuate me from the presence of said giant goddamned lizard.

That's probably the reason that the game doesn't establish your characters entire alignment in the war based off of that one choice. It's just there to color your perception of the conflict a bit before being sent to see more of it for yourself.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Imperials. Lets face it: an empire divided is easy prey for the Dominion... and the Thalmor are assholes. Who wants the Tamriel-wide Aylied empire to rise again? I sure as hell don't!
And plus, the Stormcloaks are short-sited bigots. Yes, I want Talos worship to be reinstated just as much as the next guy, but the Dominion will do much, much worse if the Empire crumbles even more.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
I won't delve into all the background RP stuff for my character, but suffice to say, I built the character somewhat backwards as I explored. I wanted to RP the sort of person who would, to coin a phrase, Platinum Skyrim. Someone who would stand shoulder to shoulder with the Companions and save the world alongside the College one second, and the next be gutting fools and committing countless sins in the name of the Dark Mother or any bloody Daedra willing to give him power the next. What kind of man would do all of this?

One with a plan. And an obsession to make Khan from the second Star Trek movie feel he should step in and talk him down.

He's an Imperial with long roots in Cyrodil, who headed north expressly BECAUSE Cyrodil was overrun by the Thalmor. He hates them. Loathes them. And at the time he ran, all he wanted was to try and start fresh, to find where he belonged in a world he no longer recognized.

Then, bam. Dragonborn. Chosen champion. Powers unlike any other. That sort of thing can... twist a man's thoughts.

Suddenly, the Thalmor didn't seem like such a big threat. Especially to someone well-read, a sort of scholar as it were. One who had read up on minor details, like the limited fertility of mer. They may live longer than anyone else, but their numbers are as limited as anyone's. The trick wasn't to beat them in open war, per say. It was to make them spread so thin, so rapidly, that casualties were inevitable. Sommerset Isle can't repopulate losses on multiple battlegrounds THAT quickly.

The issue is, you had to get THEM to initially come to YOU. For example, as one observer above noted- and it's easy to note this as well, looking over the maps -Skyrim's main sources of commerce come from sea traffic, mainly from regions on the northern end of the country. Any assault would need to begin to the north; spies in Cyrodil or enemies in neighboring countries east and west of Skyrim could easily report the movements of a massive army, crossing through Morrowind would just mean having to avoid an entirely DIFFERENT battleground and set of enemies, and by hitting the north you could in one stroke kill their economic strengths and hit three centers of power; Solitude, Dawnstar, and Winterhold, which while the city itself is in shambles, the College of Winterhold would still be a threat worth eliminating early.

Which would mean a very large fleet of boats, undoubtedly laden with Thalmor, trained in both magic and the more earthly combattive arts. Easy prey for, oh, perhaps a fire-breathing dragon? Or for a well-entrenched series of Destruction-magic trained agents along the coast, backed by the old classic, the fireship (for those unaware, a ship laden with combustible materials; send it towards an enemy ship, light it, dive off, and watch the fun)?

Losses on that scale would demand reaction. The removal of forces from other areas, where the Thalmor already are not exactly having a perfect run of it. Moving forces north out of Cyrodil, thinning the numbers in a country that still holds them ill will for the occupation and the lose in the Great War. But most of all? It would send a message to those who didn't care for the Thalmor; they are not invincible. They are beatable. And now, they have a fair few ships fewer trained soldiers to send your way.

It would be the kind of chaos the Thalmor wouldn't want; a unified Skyrim not merely holding its own, but unleashing some rather brutal secret weapons on the field. A dragon torching their ships and soldiers would just be part of it; how about summoning spirits of ancient heroes to the field? Or a spectral assassin tag-teaming with an agent of Nocturnal, sneaking into a Thalmor camp and assassinating a general near Skyrim's borders? Anyone want to bet the Thieves Guild wouldn't mind accepting a few firebug jobs on Thalmor property south of Skyrim for the right ammount of coin?

But it all hinges on one factor; the Thalmor have to get angry and come to Skyrim looking for a fight. That won't happen if the Empire puts down the rebellion.

And that, in effect, is why my character sides with Ulfric. Not for a free Skyrim. But for what a free Skyrim in the hands of a Talos-worshipper would mean. What he could MAKE it mean. People might die. Many people. But you see, the Thalmor... they task him. They task him, and the Dragonborn shall have them. He'll draw them out and make them fight on foreign soil against forces they can't hope to stand against. He'll use every contact, every power, every artifact he bartered his soul away for to make them come to Skyrim, and lose. And then, perhaps, when he has shown them to be weak, when he has pulled their forces further from the other provinces, he will leave Skyrim in Stormcloak hands, rally whosoever he can with whatever promises they need, and turn south. After all, tragically, the Emperor DID recently pass on. And it would be a pity for there to be no proper leader on the throne who could rally Cyrodil in these dark times. Perhaps it's time for another Dragonborn to ride south from Skyrim to stake his claim on the Empire... and from there, Sommerset Isle wouldn't seem so far away.

tl;dr: My Dragonborn doesn't care about a free Skyrim. Or, perhaps, he cares in an abstract way. But it is a means to an end, the first stage of a much bigger plan. Alduin? Oh, he was a threat, and needed to be removed. But in this Dragonborn's eyes, he's got much bigger fish to fry; an entire Isle in need of being clensed in fire, an Empire without an Emperor, and a massive stockpile of salt to be used on every inch of land the Altmeri Dominion calls home. The Stormcloaks just... help him get there.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Talos has a terrible blessing, I don't understand why anyone but the dragonborn would ever pray to him.

Stormcloaks stands for tradition, racism, violence and freedom.
Empire stands for unity and diplomacy.

As I oppose traditions, violence and racism, I, obviously, joined the Empire.

Azdron

Nov 21, 2010
so here's my two cents. Its heavily implied that not only is the empire forced to pay tribute to the elves and allow them a fully functioning information network within the lands they own. so they are also better off the fewer provinces they have.

(large parts of the redguard territory were going to be handed over till they threw the empire and the elves out)

what people don't seem to realize is that the empire has been conquered. Thats it, stick a fork in that imperial cause he's done.

They aren't going to fight the aldmeri dominion, they cant fight the aldmeri dominion. They are now FORCED to work FOR the aldmeri dominion. That is what is happening right fucking now.

The empire of talos is not going to save anyone. Now its up to everyone else to rescue them. every territory that CAN gain independence MUST. They HAVE to deny the imperials as much land and resources as possible. In so doing they deny the thalmor those resources and intel on their inner workings. the thalmor own the empire now, and everything the empire owns, they own. In a sense all the other factions have to split up from the main body, reform around it in secret and then take it back. sort of like a white blood cell.

As an aside, I prefer the temporary victory of racism and backward thinking vs dedicated actual genocide. The thalmore want to kill us all. No exceptions. Did you ever see the storm cloaks leading away dark elves in chains to be executed for not being nords?. Speaking of racism anybody ever roll a nord in oblivion? That shit cut both ways.

TL DR: The thalmor are like gangrene and the empire is an infected limb. the longer its attached to you the worse it gets. just gotta chop it off and get a new one.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Vrach said:
Also, what exactly does being conquered by the Altmeri Dominion entail? They already have the White Gold Concordat to impose their own beliefs and opinions on the Empire, what else could they do? They're not the exterminating kind and they're already lording over the land, so I fail to see what more harm would come of that anyway.
It's been addressed by others, but they actually are the exterminating kind. Malborn tells you about secret massacres in Valenwood, and that's to their ally/cousins the Bosmer. Also the Altmer believe they are descended from depowered Aedra, whereas men are a creation of from death of Lorkhan, who was responsible for stealing their power to create the Mundus (and in a strict sense it's probably true, as this is a fundamentally magical world). Elves hate humans for stealing their divinity, some of the hardliners believe if you killed all the human races off it might restore their birthright. As others have said the previous Ayleid rulers were remarkably cruel to humans.

No matter where you stand, Stormcloak or Imperial, the Thalmor are the true enemy.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
It boils down to this

The Empire wants to keep Skyrim under control so they can resist the Thalmor eventually, many of the Stormcloak Nords would gladly give their service to the Empire as long as the Treaty wasn't enforced in their land.

It's ironic, the Nords worship Tiber Septim/Talos (the first Emperor) as a god, yet the Imperials have to ban the worship of their founder in order survive under the Thalmor

Some of the Stormcloak Nords are racist but not all (Rolof himself says "you don't have to be a Nord to fight for Skyrim" and that line means a lot to me). Ulfric himself being mildly racist.

Both sides want to beat the Thalmor. The Thalmor are the only truly immoral.

EDIT: Kind of interesting how the post before mine ends similarly.

Also just pointing out that the Empire never cracked down on Daedra worship, even when Oblivion was opened by the Mythic Dawn.

Audric Perger

Dec 21, 2011
Look, both sides are morally bankrupt when you look at them objectively. The Stormcloaks are pretty racist and violent, but so are the Imperials who are forcibly occupying their homeland. Neither side are all good or all bad so there's no way anyone can say that they are fighting for justice or good. So the way I look at it is, are you in favor of violent occupations of another peoples homeland because you think it will somehow make things better? A very clear line can be drawn between this conflict and the Iraq war. Yes bad things are happening in that country, but does that give you the right to march in a ruin peoples lives because you don't like the way they run things? I don't think so. If you think that you can run someone else's country better than the people living there then you can go home and fuck yourself you controlling prick. The Imperials have no right to control Skyrim and I could not join the Stormcloacks fast enough. Yeah sure they're not perfect, but it's not like the Imperials even have a right to be there in the first place.