The most cynical thing you can think of.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
altnameJag said:
Also, selling 9 million copies of a videogame and having that not be enough. I mean, holy shit.
This one irks me a lot more than I'd like. 9 million...(well, okay, it was 7 million it later turned out, but still!) 7 million copies sold...that means the game made over 400 million dollars. Are they going to tell me their game's development + advertising was so expensive that making over 400 million on a single game was "disappointing"? I call bullshit. And if it's not bullshit, then they REALLY need to take a look at how they run their business, as apparently they see "hemorrhaging hundreds of millions on an ultimately uncertain product's development" as "standard business practices".

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
If you wish to be a part of any group larger than a couple hundred your presence or participation in that group, or lack therof, is minimal enough to to make a difference whether you take part or not. This applies to protests, rallies, voting, arguments, and so on. Unless you can affect large numbers of people en masse at once, like by being famous with a massive fanbase, you won't really make a difference.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
sanquin said:
altnameJag said:
Also, selling 9 million copies of a videogame and having that not be enough. I mean, holy shit.
This one irks me a lot more than I'd like. 9 million...(well, okay, it was 7 million it later turned out, but still!) 7 million copies sold...that means the game made over 400 million dollars. Are they going to tell me their game's development + advertising was so expensive that making over 400 million on a single game was "disappointing"? I call bullshit. And if it's not bullshit, then they REALLY need to take a look at how they run their business, as apparently they see "hemorrhaging hundreds of millions on an ultimately uncertain product's development" as "standard business practices".
Yeah, if that's not bullshit, it certainly needs to be bullshit.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
That there is no afterlife, when you die, what happens after is just blackness, and silence, and nothingness.
Meh, that doesn't feel...cynical.
Cynicism would be that church leaders know their Religion is bullshit, there is no afterlife, and have tricked countless generations of scared people into giving up money, power, influence, freedom and ultimately their lives for a brief, fleeting belief in an afterlife so that they, the church leaders, could have better, more decadent lives on Earth with the resources of the huddled massess.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
That all it would take to set back civilization for a decade is to bring down the internet and mobile phone networks for a month and most of the Western world would either start displaying signs of acute withdrawal, and those that aren't afflicted are too old to fix a society on the fasttrack to crumbling into disrepair.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That the threat of nuclear war is soon upon us, and that all life as we know it will swiftly end in a fiery inferno and nuclear fallout. Top that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CrazyGirl17 said:
That the threat of nuclear war is soon upon us, and that all life as we know it will swiftly end in a fiery inferno and nuclear fallout. Top that.
Mutually assured destruction is very difficult because only the most careless, nihilistic, "fuck the world/fuck humanity" kind of person would do it. Trump is far from nihilistic.

A Meteor will not have such hesitations.

The Super Volcano in California will not have such hesitations.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
The only reason why automation and AI development is moving so fast is so that the 1% doesn't need us to work for them anymore and they can finally send in the drones to wipe us out.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
21st century helicopter parenting is increasing child mortality rates in the first world by manifesting in the form of anti-vaxxer hysteria

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The Internet in general and social media in particular are fostering a perpetual indignation machine in which narrative triumphs over reality, dogma masquerades as "conversation", achievable goals fall a distant second to remaining in a constant state of foaming-at-the-mouth outrage, and action is dissipated by fatigue and ever-diminishing attention spans.

And those who pick the flesh from the vulnerable for their own benefit are largely perfectly happy with this state of affairs; as long as those who yell and scream remain behind the fence, they barely bother them at all.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
CyanCat47 said:
21st century helicopter parenting is increasing child mortality rates in the first world by manifesting in the form of anti-vaxxer hysteria
My cousin had a kid a few years ago, and she was big into the anti-vax scene. My grandma, who grew up in the 30s sat her down and basically put the fear of God in her with stories of class mates and cousins dying of influenza, whooping cough and polio.
My cousin didn't believer her, believing instead that after generations of vaccines in the population that those specific diseases didn't exist anymore, and her new-born was risk free.
Within a year the baby had a horrible case of whooping cough, was hospitalized, etc...made a recovery, got vaccinated, and will celebrate her 9th birthday this year.
and the two kids since her have all been vaccinated.

People forget that children died regularly from diseases before vaccinations. Families had 7-9 kids in the hopes a few lived to adulthood.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Kyrian007 said:
There's a whole lot of cynicism in the 10 commandments. "No other god but me" really, how self serving is that? "No graven idols," that's basically "see above motherfuckers." Same with #3 & blasphemy. "Remember the Sabbath" nice wording there, make sure to keep it vague so we can co-opt other religion's holy days. "Honor Mother and Father..." ok, DO that one... unless they are douchbags. And the rest, way to try and take credit for social contract norms that had been around since before the time of Hammurabi. So ONE out of 10 isn't completely self-serving. Whoever sent those down is a total dick.
Don't shoot the messenger man, Moses had to work overtime for 40 days to get them, couldn't even go home at night, only to discover that when the update was finally finished people had already moved on to the latest fad diety

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
The people likely to bring it about are incentivised to do so while they are in power, because while they are in power they get a spot in the bunkers. How's that?

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Silentpony said:
CyanCat47 said:
My cousin had a kid a few years ago, and she was big into the anti-vax scene. My grandma, who grew up in the 30s sat her down and basically put the fear of God in her with stories of class mates and cousins dying of influenza, whooping cough and polio.
My cousin didn't believer her, believing instead that after generations of vaccines in the population that those specific diseases didn't exist anymore, and her new-born was risk free.
Within a year the baby had a horrible case of whooping cough, was hospitalized, etc...made a recovery, got vaccinated, and will celebrate her 9th birthday this year.
and the two kids since her have all been vaccinated.

People forget that children died regularly from diseases before vaccinations. Families had 7-9 kids in the hopes a few lived to adulthood.
I wouldn't have survived past the age of 5 without vaccines. To say that infuriate me would be an understatement

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Kyrian007 said:
There's a whole lot of cynicism in the 10 commandments. "No other god but me" really, how self serving is that? "No graven idols," that's basically "see above motherfuckers." Same with #3 & blasphemy. "Remember the Sabbath" nice wording there, make sure to keep it vague so we can co-opt other religion's holy days. "Honor Mother and Father..." ok, DO that one... unless they are douchbags. And the rest, way to try and take credit for social contract norms that had been around since before the time of Hammurabi. So ONE out of 10 isn't completely self-serving. Whoever sent those down is a total dick.
The other stupid thing about the ten commandments is that, almost immediately, the (I wanna say) council (but I cant remember if that's the right term) added another 500ish more laws. You know the ones - Kosher, anti-homosexual, menstrual washing (despite being in a desert) that don't really have much to do with the first ten, but sure made sure that the Israelites acted a certain way.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
The notion that since helping others makes you feel good; that feeling is the only reason you actually help others.