The most disappointing characters

Right E O

Mar 19, 2010
Gotta agree with all of the Tim Burton's Willy Wonka hate. Although I wouldn't qualify it as disappointing considering I thought remaking that movie was a disaster from the get go.
I'll also agree with the Walking Dead Tv show being disappointing in general. Especially the governor, what a waste of possibility.

The one I haven't seen yet is Fire Emblem Awakening. People talked up that game like it was gods gift to writing, but all I got was a shippy mess of characters I don't care about. Because apparently romantic side quests with the writing style of a bad fan fiction belong in a strategy game. Who knew.

I have seen the opposite of this though, with Zant from Twilight Princess. Thought he would be a boring Zelda villain, he wound up being my favorite in the series.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Can I make a blanket statement and just say "every character from Dishonored?" As much as I loved the gameplay, and the world that the developers built, the characters themselves - and as a result, pretty much the entire story - was hugely disappointing.

My biggest peeve with it was probably The Outsider, though. There was so much potential to that, but it amounts to absolutely nothing, save a cheap explanation for the supernatural powers you get. I spent most of my playtime wondering when The Outsider would become meaningful, and when he didn't, I was incredibly upset.

I also have a problem with the idea of giving a character such a well-developed backstory, and then not giving them a voice. Corvo as a protagonist could have been interesting. Instead, he just feels sadly underdeveloped, like all the others multiplied by a hundred. :sadface:

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To me I guess that would be Bane from The Dark Knight Rises. Aside from his jolly like matter (don't you DARE bring up that character reference to his personality! I already I had a heated arguement with a mate who loved his psychotic personality) he was a fearful and capable foe for the Batman. With that in mind when the twist reveal, I was very dissapointed especially when he got taken out like a chump!

InfinityX

Jul 14, 2013
Hero of Lime said:
Definitely Demise from Zelda: Skyward Sword. He is practically the Satan of the Zelda universe, yet he was out shined in the villain department by Ghirahim who was just his lackey. His battle is fairly easy, and you grow to hate him because of the lame "Imprisoned" boss fights with his other form, not because he's a compelling baddie. He doesn't even show his true self till the last 20 minutes of the game.

Now, his legacy is interesting, his "curse" sets the rest of the franchise in motion, but as a character, he's pretty lame.
I agree with you, I thought the "Imprisoned" boss fight (If you could even call it a boss fight) were very boring and unimaginative. the Final fight with Demise felt Rushed IMO.

I'm probably going to get lots of people that will disagree with me, but Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2. He could of been an amazing villain, one of the best, but instead Gearbox F'ed up the story and there are so many plot holes, and his personality is a mess to what it could of been. While I understand He is a crazy nut for power, I was hoping for an actual intelligent villain that I wanted to hate. Instead we got this Loudmouth character that pops out of nowhere, GIVES ADVICE TO THE PLAYERS, and for some reason, never treated the players as an actual threat.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Ultimecia from Final Fantasy 8.
I actually loved that game, but she was just a terribly explained villain.

If you go into the fluff, it turns out that she is pretty much a victim trapped in a time-loop she inadvertently created: She was being hunted by the SeeD organization that knew that there was a sorceress in the future they had to defeat. To fight them she had to wage a war against the entire world, and when even that didn't work, she decided to use a time-machine to destroy the SeeD organization in the past. When even THAT didn't work, she decided to mush together the time-stream as a last ditch effort to avoid destruction. However, doing that allowed our protagonists to get to her and defeat her, and when they returned to their time they solidified the idea of future SeeD's having to fight Ultimecia (and also stopping by in another timeline to give Edea and Cid the idea of creating the SeeD organization on the first place), thus closing the time loop. In other words, the SeeD organization would have never tried to kill her, or even came into existence, if she hadn't used the time machine to get rid of them in the past, meaning that Ultimecia was practically trapped in the time-loop from the very beginning with no way out.

How much is this tragic backstory is told in the game? Exactly none.

She just appears to want to compress time because she is eeeeeeeevil and she just gives horrible villain-monologues when you fight her. You actually have to piece together all the backstory from small clues and half-sentences throughout the game, but by the time you do that you have been already disappointed by this horribly dressed stock villainess...

|Sith|Eldarion

Nov 14, 2011
Don't get me wrong. I love Baldur's Gate 2. But there was one character that annoyed me to no end.

Bodhi. She's set up as an immensely powerful vampire that you can't defeat on your own, and when you finally march into her lair again and kick down the door, she just acts like a vampire with a bunch of hitpoints. The most powerful undead short of being a Demi-Lich, one with the divine soul of The Lord of Murder, is stymied by negative plane protection. Fantastic. And even if you fight her without it, she barely has enough time to drain one party member before the rest of your party steamrolls her minions, so the only trick is to make sure the party member tanking her isn't you.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Shinji Ikari as of Evangelion 3.33 was a huge disappointment, much like the movie itself.

At the end of 2.22, we see Shinji (who has now harnessed Spiral Energy, row row fight the powa) bring an unpowered Eva back to life on willpower alone in order to save Rei. Not because anybody told him to, not because anybody forced him to, not because he had no other choice, but because he wanted to. This is an enormous step for his character, one we haven't really seen in any canon incarnation of Evangelion yet. His willpower is so strong that Unit-01 goes into fucking god mode and nearly causes the third impact, before being struck by a spear which was thrown by Kaworu. So what did they do with this character? Show us the adventures of the new heroic Shinji to see what Evangelion would be like with a shred of positivity in it? Deconstruct shonen-esque heroics as seen in TTGL or DBZ to stick it to all those "Shinji becomes badass" fanfiction writers? No, they retcon the events of 2.22's finale and don't explain a single fucking thing.

At the start of 3.33, Shinji and Unit-01 are in a box, in space. Why? It isn't explained. Rei is also dead, despite the fact that we clearly see her getting saved at the end of 2.22 with zero foreshadowing that this wouldn't be the case. Why? This isn't explained either. Also, the "near third impact" happened, despite the fact that we see the halo above Unit-01's head (which signifiy an impact event) disappear at the end of 2.22 and no explosion was seen. Why? This isn't fucking explained either, and let's not forget that many major characters were within a mile of the retconned-into-occuring impact event when it happened. They must have all fallen into a plot hole the size of Giant Naked Rei before the explosion occured.

Anyway, Shinji is back to the same way he was in EOE and the last third of NGE. An almost lifeless corpse, a shadow of his already-pathetic former self. And the rabbit hole continues going deeper until he more-or-less IS a lifeless corpse that just happens to be capable of walking. We already fucking did this you guys, I thought the Rebuild of Evangelion was supposed to be something new. Well, I guess you could call this a new low for Shinji, but that doesn't make his character development here even remotely interesting. This is what annoys me most about all the people who work at Strawman Incorporated who cry "you just wanted more of the same!" every time I explain my disgust for the newest Evangelion movie.

While we're at it, can I just say EVERYONE in Evangelion 3.33? Major characters who work with Wille are reduced to a bunch of fucking assholes with zero depth and character development. Gendo Ikari is still doing his "still according to plan" shtick, another example of wasted potential. Mari is still a fanservice character who contributes nothing besides cat smiles and tits. Her and Asuka are still 14 years old for some fucking reason, and the unexplained "curse of the Eva" excuse couldn't be weaker. Hurray for cheap pandering.

What a fucking mess this movie was.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
TheGrueHunter said:
Zant from Twilight Princess. He appears to be an intimidating foe, but then when you get to actually confront him he suddenly starts acting like a giggling lunatic clown with no explanation whatsoever for this abrupt personality shift. I can't ever take him seriously as a villain anymore.
The explanation was that he was only ever a childish pawn drunk on power, and finally cracked the shits and threw a tantrum after Link/Midna continued to thwart him. It was still ridiculously overplayed though, which was a shame. Zant was cool.

For me, the most disappointing character would have to be Super Shredder from Turtles 2:
Drinks the mutagen, turns super buff, then immediately brings the pier down on top of him without even landing a single punch (on a turtle that is). WEAK!