The most memorable way a boss has owned you.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
I literally cannot believe no-one has said the Tower Knight yet.
I will honestly never forget the first fight with the Tower Knight.
Goddamn...

youngnutter

EQ Prexus Hamster (Retired)
Apr 16, 2009
Everquest. When Kerafyrm awoke. Then rampaged through multiple game zones killing players and NPCs. Only happened once per game server. A unique experience for an MMO.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
RE4
The twin chainsaw women (that's what i know them as), they're both in a pit with other weaker enemies coming in over the course of the fight. I was running around in a circle stopping momentarily to fire my shotgun. Then, all of a sudden a chainsaw came out of nowhere jammed in Leon's neck and then took his head clean off!
They each have a lot of health, so I count them as a boss. :>

Morrowind GOTY
Almalexia, the first time I tried to fight her she knocked me down and two-shotted me.

Champions of Norrath
Innoruuk, the last boss, he stun-locked and two-shotted me.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Most recently: Gears of War 3 - Horde Mode.

Boss: Lambent Berserker

I hate this thing. It takes so much time and effort and caution to bring one down, not made any easier by the horde Boomers, Grinders, and Kantus that back it up. Once we finally trimmed the entire wave down to just the boss, we focused our entire efforts on the Berserker.

It had splattered a few of our team mates, all of whom bought themselves back in the game, and was heavily injured leaking immulsion all over the place. Finally we managed to wear it down and kill it.

So we all cheered heartily over our victory over the asshole Berserker, and we all crowded around it's body and meleed it over and over to assert our victory over it.

Then.

It's body exploded.

And killed every single one of us....

So we had to fight the damn thing again. -_-

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I remember when I first fought the Penetrator from Demon's Souls, the guy killed me through impaling me on his sword, and then throwing me into a statue, which broke into pieces upon impact.

All I could really say after witnessing that was

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
In MetalGearSolid3, In the fight with The End (Old-ass sniper) You can sneak up on him and hold him at gunpoint for him to drop his dogtags while hes lying in the grass looking for you. If you are REALLY terrible, he can sneak up on YOU.

There i was, crawling through the grass, first person view, squinting up at the cliff i THOUGHT he was at, when I get immobilized. Cant move, Cant turn, and his gruff voice comes in right behind me(After nothing but Gunshots and silence for ten minutes, this was horrifying). Im lying there with a facefull of grass, as he tells me how it was fun while it lasted or some such, and then he executes me.

Luckily, he uses a Tranq-rifle. So 'executing' me consists of putting me to sleep, deciding its not my time, and giving me a cutscene of him hauling me back one screen to try again.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Panzervaughn said:
In MetalGearSolid3, In the fight with The End (Old-ass sniper) You can sneak up on him and hold him at gunpoint for him to drop his dogtags while hes lying in the grass looking for you. If you are REALLY terrible, he can sneak up on YOU.

There i was, crawling through the grass, first person view, squinting up at the cliff i THOUGHT he was at, when I get immobilized. Cant move, Cant turn, and his gruff voice comes in right behind me(After nothing but Gunshots and silence for ten minutes, this was horrifying). Im lying there with a facefull of grass, as he tells me how it was fun while it lasted or some such, and then he executes me.

Luckily, he uses a Tranq-rifle. So 'executing' me consists of putting me to sleep, deciding its not my time, and giving me a cutscene of him hauling me back one screen to try again.
He can do that? Wow. Luckily I'm almost always on the move during that fight. ( I kind of have to be considering that I need to use the MK22 to get his Mosin Nagant.)

Also I don't remember him dropping dog tags. Are you sure you're not thinking about MGS2?

Davidm4

Aug 4, 2011
ffx Dark Magus Sisters always had first turn and one shot me. After a certain point I didn't know how to get any stronger so it was impossible for me.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Vaar said:
Playing Kingdom Hearts long before I had played any other final fantasies, and trying out the platinum match.

My first question was who the guy with the ridiculously long sword was, second question was how did I die so quickly
So, it was Cloud, right?

I'm interested, what is this Platinum Match thing, and what happened? (I've never played Kingdom Hearts, and didn't know it was Final Fantasy.)

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
I remember something collectible falling out of guys, To get it out of grunts you had to Knife-threaten them until they shook out their pockets,

and with the End you had to sneak up on him twice, once to get the dogtags, and again to get some item, I dont remember if it was a weapon or camo. But he had a tendancy to Shake it out, and then also shake out a live grenade then hop up and bolt away.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
binnsyboy said:
Vaar said:
Playing Kingdom Hearts long before I had played any other final fantasies, and trying out the platinum match.

My first question was who the guy with the ridiculously long sword was, second question was how did I die so quickly
So, it was Cloud, right?

I'm interested, what is this Platinum Match thing, and what happened? (I've never played Kingdom Hearts, and didn't know it was Final Fantasy.)
Actually he was talking about Sephiroth, the main villain of FF7.

Kingdom Hearts is an Action RPG that combines Final Fantasy characters and Disney characters/worlds, along with original characters. So technically its not really final Fantasy. Vaar probably meant that he hadn't play other final fantasy games, so he had no idea who Sephiroth was.

The Platinum match is part of Hercules' world Olympus Coliseum. In that world you can participate in various tournaments for prizes and exp. The Platinum Match is a match that opens near the end of the game, and has Sephiroth as a boss fight(and in fact, is the only fight in the match). However, by the time you can challenge him, your character will probably be under leveled. Two, maybe even one strike from his sword, and you die.

At least that's what I think he meant. I know that's what happened to me.

OT: Its already been said, but to me it has to be the Mysterious Figure from Birth By Sleep. My God, that fight was brutal. Just look at what this guy!

First off, this guy is super fast, and is dual wielding laser sword blades that are similar to that of hand clocks. He has no speaking lines whatsoever, and makes no noise during the fight except for the sound effects of his attacks. His appearance is that of a guy wearing a black cloak. With that out of the way, here is what he can do:

He can make 4 clones of himself that use some of his moves, and they all attack you at once! They can all do about 3 of his other moves along with constantly hitting you with the sword combo. The clones all have a time limit, and they all die with 1 hit from any attack. However, if you decide to try and outrun the clones and dodge every single attack from their sword combo, if you get hit on the VERY LAST attack from a sword, your character gets stunned, and is unable to move.

He has a regular sword combo that must hit you at least 10 times easily.

He has an X shaped attack that is easily dodgeable and noticeable (provided you aren't running from his clones and whatnot), and is a perfect time to attack him.

He has a Tornado attack that scatters your Commands(essentially all your special and magic attacks) around the field. If you want them, you have to hurry and pick them up again. Another of his attacks easy to see through and perfect to damage him.

If you attack him with your Keyblade, he can turn back time! Not even joking. He rewinds time(including the music) to heal whatever HP he lost, teleports behind you, gets ready for an attack, lets time continue, and then attacks.

If you attack him with your Commands, he might just use Restore Barrier halfway through, which heals him when he blocks an attack! Yup, good job giving him back his health/not taking away as much as you would have thought.

He can turn his two clock hand laser sword things into a lance, and if he hits you, will keep hitting you in the air with it, bouncing back and forth with super speed.

He can summon laser orbs and just walks around very slowly. There are 5 waves or so, and each wave has 5 Lasers shoot from the orbs that look a bit like clock hands. Easily blocked or dodged, but God help you if you try to attack him, as he might attack you. This means you have the lasers AND his normal attack pattern to deal with.

He can use Raging Storm, which basically envelops him in a fire tornado and he runs around the field teleporting 6 times before stopping, so that means he is somewhat damageable on the last one..

The worst attack by far is his Collision Magnet, dubbed Rape Rope by the fandom. The Mysterious Figure, jumps up in the air, and hits you with a rope. The rope has decent range, and if you're not careful you can accidentally run into it. This rope forces you up, and when it does so, will almost always bring you to critical health. You will then fall down, unable to move as you do so. You can't air dash out of the way, and when you land, your character does a small delay as he/she try to balance themselves. Almost always AS SOON AS YOU LAND he attacks. There is hardly any time to do anything. But the worst part? He can do Collision Magnet 3 times in a row! So if he wants to, he can do this move again, and you will die, and you will have had no way to escape or dodge. And when he summons the clones and you are running for your life? He can do it then too.

Seems bad so far right? But wait! This is only half the fight!

Because he moves around so sparatically, and his moveset occurs at random, you will have been using the lock on feature to determine where he is at all times. Well guess what? He turns invisible. No, I'm serious, the bastard can turn invisible. This means you can't lock on to him and see which attack he is going to use. Well, you may catch a glimpse, but damn you if you don't move fast enough. He eventually becomes visible again, but you don't have much time to damage him.

He can now use the Doom Spell as well, and the timer gets shorter every time he uses it, so if he catches you about 3 times, you die.

He also gains the Mega Flare spell, which sends a ball of flame to the field. It explodes, causing very heavy damage.

Next up is Meteor, and he can send about 3 of them your way. The don't track you, but they are big.

He can now combine his attacks; this means he can now attack during his Laser Orbs. Or maybe running around the field with Raging Storm while all his clones attack you.

And what do you get for beating him? He disappears, reappears to your character, walks away without saying ANYTHING, and you get a keyblade. For American/Europe audiences, he is the last secret boss in the game, meaning that you will have nothing to use it on except for multiplayer and the Mirage Arena if you're bored/still have stuff to do there. But generally, you will probably save this guy for last.

And bear in mind that while he is a secret boss, if you unlock him in any of the 3 characters various story modes, he will be unlocked for the other characters as well. This means if you are aiming for 100% completion(or are on standard mode and are trying to unlock the secret ending) and you missed a treasure chest that is in the world he's on, you're screwed since to get that treasure chest means you have to beat him.

He was nerfed in the Special Edition in Japan, but jeez this guy was too much. Still haven't beaten him with one of the characters...

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
binnsyboy said:
Vaar said:

So, it was Cloud, right?

Kingdom Hearts is "Squenix and Disney worlds meshed together" You run around on disney planets as an androgenous preteen with too many shoving Firaga's into peoples faces.

"Plantinum match" was the final battle in the Colluseum world (Disney-hercules) Other matches had you fighting giant ice golems, or waves and waves of guys. The Platinum Match pits you 1V1 against Sephiroth. All his abilities are designed to keep you running like a screaming child.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Marx, the final boss of Kirby Super Star. He has an attack that you really shouldn't ever get hit by unless you're careless, where he splits in two and leaves behind a black hole. Dunno if I was lazy or what but it sucked me in.

The hole teleports you to another dimension where you have just enough time to admire the pretty flashing lights filling the screen before INSTANT DEATH.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
The most memorable way a boss has owned me? Hm. Well, I can't even remember who the boss was... but it was from FFX, if I remember correctly. An optional boss, and one of those horrible, horrible underwater fights where my party was restricted to people that I never used. But I finally killed the thing... and I rejoiced so much... only for the boss to have a post-death explosion that killed my entire party.

Game over.

Ugh.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
The7Sins said:
Jinpachi Mishima will always have a special place in gaming Hell for his constant cheep tactics. For instance I get to him and the announcer says "Round 1 Start." Before I even have a chance to get... (le snip)
Heihachi is easily beatable, he almost always starts with two high attacks. Block him twice, then attack high. Jin owns him with a spin kick. Just don't try to attack more than once each time. Keep doing this, perfect win.

Having said that, for me it's Nancy in Tekken 6 (she's a pre-boss). In fact you don't have to beat her, you lose and the game continues, which in a way makes it harder as you only get one chance.

You're fight her (she's a big, multi legged robot) on an arena with a glass floor. She has this move where she just cuts a round hole under you with a laser. You fall, you dead. You're supposed to sidestep, but I just can't manage.

This is the ONLY trophy on T6 I don't have!!! (that an the one you get for getting all tropies) UGH!