The most mundane/inane thing you were amazed in a game

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
[HEADING=2]So you like Super Smash Brothers, do you?[/HEADING]

I thought that was so cool!

Edit: Just saw I was ninja'd.

Ray De Ation

Jun 5, 2009
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Oh hey, I can steal things from the shop. Neat.
Whenever I go back, however...
The shopkeeper zaps me with a laser and changes my name permanently to "THIEF"! It's that kind of little thing that convinces you the game devs love their job, and also provides you with a half-a-dozen neuroses all of your own.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
mireko said:
You can smoke in Vanquish! You can smoke!

Also, in Disgaea, there's an enemy with a horse wiener.

You can steal it and use it as a weapon.
The smoking serves a purpose, actually. Apparently, Russian robots of the future use thermal sensors, 'cause they'll target a lit cigarette over a fleshy human.

Also, yes, the fake horse wiener was amazing...LY POWERFUL!

I forget its exact stats, but I remember it being high enough that I stuck Laharl with it.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Not as much blew my mind, but more, made me facepalm.

The superman as a baby discovery easter egg in Dragon age random traveling event thing...

/facepalm

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
I don't know if this is real, but I swear my character in Saints Row 2 sang "Final Countdown". It was awesome.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Theres one level in Metro 2033 where you are first introduced to ghosts, theres a few cool things in the level.

One that blew my mind though was the ghost train passing you, it was like a 3D silhouette with two headlights. I just found that the effect was impressive, I hadn't really anything like it. The fact that you could only see it if your light was on it only made it cooler.

Lemmibl

Jan 27, 2009
I was always impressed that you couldn't open chests in Minecraft if there was a block on top of it. (Cause you can't open the lid!)

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The grass in Halo Combat Evolved. All my previous games to that point had been computer RTS's like age of Emires, or low graphics FPS's with very bland textures. I get out of the crashed pod in Halo, walk across the bridge, and look down at the world below, it was breathtaking, following the curve of the ring up into the sky above my head. Then I'm told to hide from the Covenant, duck behind a bush, look down and see individual grass blades each blade of grass rendered individually. Amazing.

Also the idle conversations the Germans would have in Medal Of Honour Frontline you would eavesdrop in on before they knew you were there. I remember chuckling a few times.

EDIT: Also in Predator Concrete Jungle one of the controller buttons was assigned to spring out your wrist blades, with the proper "shhhhhhick" sound when you pressed it, it was third person so you saw the blades come out. I spent ages just pressing the button "shhick" out "shhick" in "shhick" out "shhick"... well, you get the picture.

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
Vivace-Vivian said:
You can pick up forks in Oblivion. FORKS.
Yeah, but you can't pick up pillows.

I was the Great Pillow Thief of Morrowind, so when I found out I couldn't steal pillows in Oblivion, I was quite upset.

So instead of pillows, I just collected bones and gathered a pile around my dark shrine.

I hope pillows return in TeS 5.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
Mafia 2, cars pulling to the side of the road and people getting out. You don't see that in GTA.

Or all the random things you can find Npc's doing in RD:R

Or maybe most of all if a game has something where if you stare at an npc long enough they will say something too you, or ask if you're okay.

On Halo if you stood around with Sgt.Major Johnson long enough he would start singing War, eventually ending with the lyrics "Press the pause button...idiot!"

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
pyrosaw said:
I don't know if this is real, but I swear my character in Saints Row 2 sang "Final Countdown". It was awesome.
It is real, and it is totally awesome. Just another reason to love that game, not that it needed one.

I, uh... I sang along too. Loudly.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
The lighting effects in Dead Space 2. I can literally spend half an hour playing around with light sources and seeing how they play across the environment and Isaac's suit. Also, there's those little pink squeaky mice you can find scattered throughout the game, which squeak whenever you step on them or make them bump into something with kinesis, and may in fact be the most delightful things I've ever encountered in my life.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Echer123 said:
Ragdoll physics. I wasn't amazed, but amazingly entertained.
Yes. The euphoria ragdoll in GTA is so awesome, especially when people try and grab things, or shoot their gun during ragdoll, and end up shooting their own foot.

Other than ragdoll, on Chromehounds when you died you'd respawned as a tiny foot solider with a machine gun, you did little to no damage but it was fun to be able to do something other than waiting, and you actually feel quite badass as you stand next to a huge ass mech shooting bullets at it, doing no damage whatsoever and only delaying your own death.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Demon Souls
Your arrows do less damage with distance.
I freakin cam a little bit.
(cus i always play games where the opposite happens, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!)

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Vivace-Vivian said:
You can pick up forks in Oblivion. FORKS.
Fuck that, Morrowind had a quest to kill a creature with a CURSED FORK.
It took AGES. Unless you just beat it down til it was mostly dead and then finished it off with the fork, that worked pretty well too...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I swear I dound indinana jones in a fridge in fallout New vegas

I like how your companions talk when you point a gun in their face

Cass: "are you drunk!?" "Am I going to have to take that away from you?"

Boone: "how about I point a gun in your face? see how you like it?"

Raul: "I wouln't mind this so much boss, if it werent for that manical gleam in your eye"

Veronica: "why do we always hurt the one we care about the most?"

Arcade: "uhhhhhhh.....whats up?"

really Im a sucker for little details

Azulito

Jan 1, 2009
In Metal Gear Solid 2 near the end, I got a codec call telling me how I shouldn't sit too close to the TV which I was actually doing so my initial response was along the lines of "WTF?!?!? D:"