The Most Overrated Games that Aren't

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
/Definitely/ agree on Skyrim, as it's one of my absolute favorite games ever (possibly my absolute one, even). I get that the detractors are still a minority, but still, as far as the internet goes it seems to have been getting tons of flak lately (90% of the time it seems to be from long-time fans who stand by Morrowind as the absolute greatest RPG ever which...sorry folks, not seeing it).

The only other game that immediately jumps to my mind is Assassin's Creed 3, except that one I can at least understand where the detractors are coming from, plus I have some big gripes as well. There's hardly any stealth, the mission design is clumsy at best, and a lot of the side-missions are just pure filler. But I loved the setting and the combat and the Aquilla and hunting and (to a lesser extent) the story and the homestead. Basically the positives just outweighed the negatives for me.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Except that that just makes it a twist for the sake of a twist. Sure, if you didn't know it was coming and assumed all those white dots were "enemies" you might get a shock, but if you did have prior knowledge, or you replayed it, that scequence becomes utterly meaningless. It holds no power beyond the initial surprise shock.
inu-kun said:
And what's the difference between that and any twist? Every twist has less impact after the first time. It's like seeing the Sixth Sense and complaining the twist was obvious.
Feel the need to quote both of you to tell you that the second time I played the game, the scene worked a thousand times better for me. Not quite sure why, but I suspect at least part of it is because I don't think there was supposed to be a twist to begin with. From the start, it was declared that what you're about to do is morally wrong and absolutely horrific, and that notion doesn't get "twisted" in the slightest, it just gets escalated:
First you're murdering armed but unassuming soldiers, then you're murdering soldiers who are just running for their lives and finally you're murdering innocent civilians.
By the time that happens, it's already obvious this wasn't going to be just a normal military shooter, so I fail to see the twist.

Noontide

Nov 26, 2014
I'm not a sports fan by any means but I enjoy a lot of sports games, including Madden despite the fact that I'm not American and don't give two shits about handegg. I understand that it sucks they keep rehashing the same game (though you can make this argument against a lot of series like most Nintendo properties, fighting games, Musou games) but I feel like sports games get undue hate because they're associated with a very casual audience, most of their detractors don't and have never played them.

Halo is great. It gets pooped on by PC gamers and yes it would have been better if it was developed for PC from the beginning but that's the point, they made a really good FPS while under console limitations and it worked.

Skyrim gets a lot of undeserved flak. I've played every Elder Scrolls game and I started with Morrowind and I can still say with confidence that it's Bethesda's best effort. It's the only Bethesda game (with modding capabilities) that I consider playable and enjoyable without actually modding it at all.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:
Also agree with Skyrim.

It's really stupid too because when it first came out, almost EVERYONE was singing its praises. Talking about how great it was for RPing and how much it improved Oblivion's/Morrowind's combat and etc.

And then after a while, everyone just started to hate it.

The same thing happened with Oblivion too.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I was gonna be all snarky and say, "None", since the entire notion, either way, is subjective. But then I realized two things:

1) OP is asking for our OPINIONS, so chiming in with a subjective answer is warranted

2) I'm on The Escapist. The home for droves of posters that love to ***** about quality games that are popular.

As such, I'm just gonna go ahead and list one of the tried-and-true examples of a damn fine game series that routinely saw posters on this forum proclaim it "is terrible and overrated."

Half-Life

For a time, during the 2008 to 2011 era, there was almost never any less than two threads a day titled some variant of "Half-Life sucks, why do you like it?".

Honestly, they were GG thread levels of overly abundant.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
inu-kun said:
While there are some valid complaints about Spec Ops, I can't stand people who obviously played the game because they heard it's a deconstruction and then say "it's obvious what will happen in the phosperous scene", the whole point is that someone who hasn't heard of the game won't expect the outcome, don't act like some know it all pricks.
Except that that just makes it a twist for the sake of a twist. Sure, if you didn't know it was coming and assumed all those white dots were "enemies" you might get a shock, but if you did have prior knowledge, or you replayed it, that scequence becomes utterly meaningless. It holds no power beyond the initial surprise shock.
Not sure what you mean by that, I mean it is sort of a major turning point in the plot. Myself, I knew about the twist before hand and I'd still say, narrative-wise, it works just fine.

Vigormortis said:
I was gonna be all snarky and say, "None", since the entire notion, either way, is subjective. But then I realized two things:

1) OP is asking for our OPINIONS, so chiming in with a subjective answer is warranted
THANK YOU.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Casual Shinji said:
Pyrian said:
Casual Shinji said:
It holds no power beyond the initial surprise shock.
A surprise isn't surprising when it's not a surprise? I'm surprised!
Well, when it's just a surprise and nothing else, then it holds little value, yes.
Why? I'm not sure how much value you're expecting to get out of this, or how much you feel you need to. Shock value is still value, and in this case I don't think there was any particular shortage. It was notoriously powerful to those who hit it cold, whether you personally think that counts as "little value" or not.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Gonna chime in on the Spec Ops train here, but it is waay more criticised than it really deserves. It's not overated, it's gameplay is pretty average though and it does rely mostly on it's story. But that story is quite good. Yes, you're forced to do the WP section, narrative wise you had to do something terrible. But every other section where in which you can make a potentially terrible decision is entirely left up to you, and with no hints you can choose to follow down the decaying mind of the protagonist, or you can try and be a better person. Also;
Zhukov said:
"What's that you say game, mindlessly blowing people away from a position of remote invulnerability is kind of fucked up? Gosh, thank god I have you to tell me that game, never would have figured it out otherwise. It's not like I realised that while playing CoD4, or hell, while watching actual gun-cam footage."
What's that Apocalypse Now? War is bad? What's that Crash? Racism is bad? What's that Reqium for a Dream? Addiction is bad?

Fictional stories have always made statements, whether they be good or bad. A story shouldn't be given shit because it's message is something that most people should know. Everyone knows it's bad, and this is just exploring how bad it could be.

Other games that I wont go into much detail with:

Skyrim - Morrowind is nigh unplayable without mods, and it's nice that the race I choose gives me slight bonuses in some areas and not make it so that if I'm anyone other than race x I will be unable to do action y.

The Last of Us - It's a solid game with a few issues that are overlooked because the story is very well done. Not the most original, but very well done.

ceyan

Oct 13, 2014
You guys really need to revisit what you're talking about here. A blog post and every 20th person shitting on a game does not make it have a general opinion of overrated. Skyrim, Last of Us, and Bioware Infinite (to use some examples from the second page) were all well recieved, had far more favorable than unfavorable comments, and are still discussed regularly in a positive light. Spec Ops is a good example of what I think you're trying to work out though.

If you're going to start saying a few detractors or random forum people talking shit counts well let me know when you find a game that isn't on that list.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
For me, Bioshock: Infinite. I wanted to like the original Bioshock a lot more then I ended up doing, but Bioshock: Infinite is one of those games where I love the atmosphere and the plot grabbed me(noticing on the foreshadowing on the second play-through made it better, in my opinion). While certainly not without it's own issues(Abuse of the Timey Whimey ball, for one), I still get a hankering to replay the game again just to visit Columbia again. I replayed the game a couple months after my initial play-through in the wake of the backlash, and I still can't see it as "overrated".

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
ceyan said:
You guys really need to revisit what you're talking about here. A blog post and every 20th person shitting on a game does not make it have a general opinion of overrated. Skyrim, Last of Us, and Bioware Infinite (to use some examples from the second page) were all well recieved, had far more favorable than unfavorable comments, and are still discussed regularly in a positive light. Spec Ops is a good example of what I think you're trying to work out though.

If you're going to start saying a few detractors or random forum people talking shit counts well let me know when you find a game that isn't on that list.
Not in my experience. I can't even mention Skyrim anywhere anymore without tons of "Blech that game sucks" or "Morrowind was SOOOO much better" comments. Heck, just go read the comments on that Top RPG list that was posted on this very site recently. On one forum it's gotten so bad that I've just stopped bringing it up altogether. And that same forum isn't kind to The Last of Us, either. Yes, I agree they're still a minority (just look at the user ratings on all the various websites) but the internet has the power to make the vocal minority obnoxiously loud to the point where that's the only thing many of us hear anymore.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
RealRT said:
The same thing happened with Oblivion too.
Now Oblivion I can understand though. Because no one knew about the stupid level scaling until it was too late... Skyrim though had no such thing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Gladion said:
Feel the need to quote both of you to tell you that the second time I played the game, the scene worked a thousand times better for me. Not quite sure why, but I suspect at least part of it is because I don't think there was supposed to be a twist to begin with. From the start, it was declared that what you're about to do is morally wrong and absolutely horrific, and that notion doesn't get "twisted" in the slightest, it just gets escalated:
First you're murdering armed but unassuming soldiers, then you're murdering soldiers who are just running for their lives and finally you're murdering innocent civilians.
By the time that happens, it's already obvious this wasn't going to be just a normal military shooter, so I fail to see the twist.
I can see what you're getting at, since the whole game is about a situation spiraling horrifically out of control. The thing with the WP scene is that you're obviously meant to be in the dark about it. Your character certainly is and it is presented in a way that the player should be as well.
So that once the smoke clears that feeling of satisfaction at what you thought were enemy troops turns to shock when you realize you've burned a bunch of innocent civilians to death.

But I actually knew beforehand what was going to happen, because it was pretty impossible to avoid certain spoilers for this game once it got critical acclaim. So when I got to that scene all I could think was...
'Well, here's where I kill the civilians and feel shocked'.
Not helped by the fact that you're forced to do it, taking away any sense of personal involvement that might add some emotion. It's like being strapped to a rail in a haunted house knowing in advance when and where the ghost is going to pop out. And beyond that it doesn't do much except go 'DUN-DUN-DUUUUUN!!!'

The scene way later on...
where you're surrounded by an angry mob who just lynched one of your team mates and are seconds away from doing the same to you is way more effective, and holds that on consecutive playthroughs. And that's because not only is it very morally ambiguous, but it gives you a choice in how to handle it that works in tandem with the game's primary mechanics. When I first played that scene I just reluctantly shot a couple of people in the crowd. Then I realized I could've easily aimed my gun upward and given warning shots overhead to scatter them, and I felt kind of shitty as a result.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dirty Hipsters said:
The Halo franchise.

Show me another multiplayer game where you can play 4 player split screen online from a single account. Can't do it? No, didn't think so.

Halo is one of the best multiplayer party games because you can get 4 people on a single console playing against other players from around the world. It's fucking great and it's something no other game does.
.... Uh CoD?

I guess that might as well be my entry. Contrary to popular belief (well obviously its just my opinion), CoD's gameplay doesn't actually suck, its just gotten stale. Eat bacon for a year and you'll end up regurgitating everything once you see some delicious deep fried pork.

FateWitch13

Mar 10, 2013
Dragon Age 2.

A lot of people seem to hate this game. Dragon Age: Origins was about this whole world which was evolving and changing. Dragon Age 2 was about the individual journey of Hawke and her friends. So, obviously two different experiences. But different shouldn't be coded as bad. Dragon Age 2 is an amazing game. It is not some long, massive arching story that ends with that fight you've been leading up to this whole time. It is smaller stage. It is about the various things in life that shape us, twist us, torture us, delight us. There really are three "main plots" in Dragon Age 2 and this is what seems to bother people the most. I think it is more realistic for character development. I think the way it progressed made Hawke a more real character than The Warden. The lack of travel to a bunch of places can be read as a problem but it's more of a sandbox style game than an open world. It's different and bold. It tried something new.

More games should take chances with their sequels.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
MGS 4-I know there was a critical disonnance when that game came out, and there are some severe flaws in that game (e.g. retcons, some really uninspired twists) but I still found it to be a fantastic experience. I thought the presentation of the game when it came out to be mind blowing. There are moments in the story that still to this day make me tear up (e.g. this is good isn't it?). It took out all the bullshit mechanics in 3 and refined them (e.g. such as the food system) and got away with all the menu iventory bullshit that came with the original camoflauge by introducing the octo-cam suit. I thought having the option of sneaking past an active battle field or choosing to side with the local rebels was awesome and made the environment feel vibrant and alive like never before in an MGS game. And while that was kind of dropped half way through, the second of half that game was also great (e.g. return to shadow moses, Ray vs Rex, the walk through the microwave hallway)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Dryzdale said:
elvor0 said:
Never thought about saying a Final Fantasy game, but now you mention it; I'll see your 7 and raise to 10. Unless I'm going senile, 7 still appears in quite a few "best" games lists, either ever or for original PS etc. however I think people generally give more shit to 10 than it deserves, and especially more than they give to 7. For example: I hate when people complain about blitzball in 10, you literally are made to play 1 game in the story; that's it, if you don't like it just ignore it. Also, bear in mind 10 came out about 1 year after the PS2, the graphics/aesthetic are still some of my favourites of the series and it was the last FF game that made me care about pretty much all the primary characters; haven't played the MMO games, 12 I cared about 3/4 characters and 13 is just horrible in every way, in my opinion.
Well, while FF7 does still top best of lists, outside of that /most/ discussion I see, especially here, is just complaining that it's an emo broodfest.

Now, while I do really like 10, I've never seen anyone say it's "overrated", just that they didn't like it. People don't rave about it in the same way that people /apparently/ "rave" about FF7, which leads to the notion that that is overrated.

Obviously that laughing scene gets unnecessary flak, but people who don't like it generally don't like it because they didn't like the linearity (didn't bother me, the world was far less open, but it was chock full of stuff to do and all felt very organic, UNLIKE FF13), or didn't like the characters. Which I can get behind, I'll argue the purpose of the characters, but not about whether or not they liked them /as/ characters and if you don't like the "linearity", that's fair enough. FFX is devisive enough that it's fair to see it as differing tastes between people rather than butting heads over things they remember wrong or make up like people do over FF7.

Yes, 13 is horrible in every way, NOTHING about it works properly. Even the fact that it looks pretty is lost by the fact that you can never touch it, for it lies outside the tube. It's kind of amusing that the Eidolons come down and attack the party when they start trying to DEVIATE FROM THE PATH, like the in universe will of Square Enix slapping you in the face, telling you to get back on the path and stop asking questions.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Eh. The term overrated is stupid. You like something differently to what you percieve to be the mainstream/majority's average view of it? Cool. That sounds like every other opinion ever, the only difference is scale and personal involvement. Given anything, I'm going to rate some things higher or lower than you, or an average of any collective of you. Calling it overrated when I pin it lower betrays that I think mine is the right view, and that yours is the wrong, even when we're talking about subjective judgement and personal taste, which is stupid. Unless you think they are genuinely misinformed or mislead, then there really is no reason for this, because there's no reason you should be objectively right.

Then making a judgement on not being overrated in response is extra silly. I mean, in the sense that I don't really believe in the term, it's true, in that I don't think anything is really overrated, at least when we're talking about things that have actually been experienced (A lot of things are popular because they're popular). But in the sense that someone else is wrong for saying that something is overrated usually suggests that their opinion of the game, and it's worth is wrong, and we're back at the same pissing match. Barring the obvious exception of you think that their estimation of the majority opinion is wrong.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Call of Duty.

Everyone says its over rated, and it continually out sells every other title in the industry almost annually.

Overall I think the people that slam Call of Duty the hardest are people that are simply just not good at it. Far as what the game attempts to do, it does it better than anything else on the market and its spawned more clone games trying to get a piece of its action than World of Warcraft has spawned clone MMO's trying to do the same.

Overall, Call of Duty is consistently hammered as overrated, and consistently outperforms every single title released to market in total overall sales.

Now granted it is the "McDonalds" of gaming content, and just because its edible and acceptably tasty doesn't mean its specifically good...but, it is probably the largest example of a serialized title that is consistently held up as the greatest example of being over rated, which consistently out earns everything else produced by the same industry.

Captcha answer: Winning...and yes, apparently Activision still is.

VincentMm

Feb 13, 2009
elvor0 said:
Suprised that FF7 hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll go: FF7. You rarely ever see FF7 mentioned for praise, other than in specific Final Fantasy threads (now addmitedly I do like FF7, but it's a way from being one of my /favourites/), instead, when it is mentioned it's just people ragging on it being overrated for bizarre reasons that defy what the game actually was.

It's become Flanderized far past the point of rational, to point where even Square Enix remember it wrong. People who've played it, remember it wrong and people who play it now, are determined to percieve things that were never there.

A primary point of contention is that it's an emo brood fest, which is a flat out lie. None of the characters brood, except perhaps Sephiroth when he's in that library. Cloud is not a grumpy loner and does actually have a laugh with his friends who he trusts to the ends of the earth and sees as brothers in arms. He's cold at some points, but that's quite the opposite of emo, he is supposed to be a professional mercenary, wherin he "lies" about his past in order for people to percieve him as cool and himself trustworthy. Even if Cloud does at one point brood, it would be completely justified due to his character suffering from delusions and PTSD.

Ironically it's right before FF8, which really was a broodfest, Squalls brooding was part of the plot, as was teenage angst. Even with that in mind, FF7 broke from tropes before it and was actually quite revolutionary at the time, people have /copied/ it, which somehow makes it retroactively generic.

Now I'm not necessarilly praising the game here and you're welcome to have not liked/enjoyed it, just make sure it's for the right reasons and you haven't been sucked in by the hatedom and Advent Children.
I don't think I've ever seen anybody put it better.
FF7 came out of nowhere, was hailed as the greatest achievement of modern games, had so much hype built around it and has come to represent some kind of holy grail.
Now I love the game, it's still my favourite game of all time and I replay it about once a year, but even I know it's not this mythical exhibit of perfection.
I think that people who loved it at the time but never revisited it have created that magical aura around it and set it up to disappoint new players, which is really very sad because if they'd gone in with no expectations I'm sure they'd have loved it too.