The most spine-chilling, bricks-shatting moment in gaming

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Raddra said:
The mannequin room in Silent Hill 3. it took me about 10 minutes just to work up the nerve to walk into the room.
I see your mannequin room and I raise you one mirror room:

Shit scared the HELL out of me when I played it. The video makes it look tame but when you aren't expecting it and you can't move for fear... it's just terrible.

In fact Silent Hill 3... hands down scariest game I have ever completed. Amnesia was so scary I haven't even gone back to it since...

solidsnake101023 said:
Also i would add this as well.
Urgh! Any of those moments in SH4 were truly awful. You KNEW there would be something on the other side of the peep hole but you just HAD to look. Like the hole in the wall to Eileen's place too. Damn that game!

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
The empty wheelchair that flies down the stairs in the opening of Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Not because it's that scary, but the fact that the game can get you into such a mindset that an empty wheelchair can make you jump out your seat is pretty impressive to me.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Storage in amnesia.
Its pitch black and you are likley to be eaten by a grunt.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
GethBall said:
OT: I know i've had one of those scared shitless moments but I just cant remember the games they were in.
Same here. You know you've seen something scary when your mind subconsciously blocks you from remembering to protect your sanity xD

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Wait. People think Ravenholm was actually scary? I thought it was just a self-perpetuating joke all these years.

Really, people? Really?
<youtube=qCFdpOMiCzs>

It doesn't help that I heard someone make more or less that exact sound when they got injured.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
JCBFGD said:
DoPo said:
OT: that one level in Thief 3. If you've played it, you know it.
Gah! Thanks, now I won't be able to sleep. Fuck the Shalebridge Cradle...great level. There were a few bits in the first two Thief games that made me jump and scream out loud (prompting laughter from my parents, who played them when they first came out).
God the Thief games.. the abandoned mines always got me, having to sprint away from zombies.

Worst part is when you lean over someone to check their dead and the suddenly shoot up.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
The hospital in F.E.A.R Extraction Point for me. Nothing is more nerve racking for me than an empty, dark hospital with all kinds of weird shit going on and you're all by yourself.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Killer7, the Heaven Smiles, I still gett nervous when I hear them laugh D:
Half Life 2, Ravenholm (espacially the first 2 times when I played it).

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Bioshock... the bit in the dentists where you get to the other side of the room, the ligts go out and come back on... scares the hell out of me...! Then I jumped out of my skin when I turn around and there is a dude right there!!!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
The sounds in System Shock 2, just the sounds of The Many. The absolute scariest experience I've had gaming was playing SS2 in the dark wearing headphones, low on health, all my weapons deteriorated to hell, I can hear a midwife somewhere nearby, aaaand the cat jumps in my lap for a pat. Always lock the cat outside when playing System Shock 2.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Skoldpadda said:
That moment when you read the news that EA or Activision has bought your favourite developing team.
On that note I hope Insomniac remain independent. Or sony gets them.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
DoPo said:

Something I just discovered the other day is that you can
Crush the wolf inside the observatory doors if you time the button press right, then the elevator thing immediately arrives right after. You also get some bonus experience for thinking on your feet. I thought it was a nice touch.

My most awe-inspiring moment was in KotOR2 when I realized that
Kreia was Master Arran Kae, and Handmaiden's Mother. Jesus Christ.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Say what you will about the rest of the game, Fable 2 has one of the most underhandedly effective jump-scares I've ever experienced in any form of media.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I'll just answer with the entirety of Doom 3, I had to download the torch mod, I just had to... I wouldn't say it scared me, I just disliked playing the game so cautiously and I'd be a liar if I said it didn't make me jolt on a few occasions.

Iron Criterion said:
Doom 64 was terrifying at the time, and the soundtrack created such an atmosphere; I was afraid to move on at times.

For example this is still creepy to this day.
That is one creepy (and atmospheric) track.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
WaReloaded said:
I'll just answer with the entirety of Doom 3, I had to download the torch mod, I just had to... I wouldn't say it scared me, I just disliked playing the game so cautiously and I'd be a liar if I said it didn't make me jolt on a few occasions.

Iron Criterion said:
Doom 64 was terrifying at the time, and the soundtrack created such an atmosphere; I was afraid to move on at times.

Yeah. I like Doom 3 but for me Doom64 managed to capture the balance between genuine scares and action very well; whereas the former title was considerably slower.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
The many,many moments in Bioshock where you would pick up something useful (plasmid, weapon, or tonic) and an enemy would pop out of nowhere to "greet" you. Every single time this happens I jump up. It wasn't until my eighth playthrough that I finally got the balls to keep my cool.

Out of all the moments in the game, the part in the Medical Facility where you pick up a tonic and the room fills up with smoke is the scariest part of all. I almost shat myself when I turned around to find the crazy bastard behind me.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Iron Criterion said:
WaReloaded said:

Iron Criterion said:

Yeah. I like Doom 3 but for me Doom64 managed to capture the balance between genuine scares and action very well; whereas the former title was considerably slower.
I never managed to complete Doom 64, unfortunately, I only managed to beat the first 10 levels (roughly) as I'd hired it for a weekend from a local store.

Here's to hoping the upcoming Doom game is a perfect amalgamation of classic Doom and Doom 3.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
WaReloaded said:
Iron Criterion said:
WaReloaded said:

Iron Criterion said:

I never managed to complete Doom 64, unfortunately, I only managed to beat the first 10 levels (roughly) as I'd hired it for a weekend from a local store.

Here's to hoping the upcoming Doom game is a perfect amalgamation of classic Doom and Doom 3.
I found a video of a Doom 3 mod that I don't know if you are aware of. It's basically Doom 2 with Doom 3's engine.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Iron Criterion said:
WaReloaded said:
Iron Criterion said:
WaReloaded said:

Iron Criterion said:

I found a video of a Doom 3 mod that I don't know if you are aware of. It's basically Doom 2 with Doom 3's engine.
Thank you very much for the link, the mod/s looked quite good, maybe I'll check them out myself? Could have used a few more enemies though.