The most versatile medieval melee weapon is the halberd

The Afrodactyl

Jul 19, 2010
The halberd, despite being delicious in all of it's utilty, is a jack-of-all trades.

Knower of all, master of **** all.

BaronFelX

Mar 18, 2010
This isn't the "best" weapon, but most versatile. I don't think a polearm, designed to function with the support of dozens or hundreds of other polearm bearers, can be considered most versatile.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Blaster395 said:
Del-Toro said:
Considering that most medieval soldiers wielded them primarily with swords being the the domain of nobility, and usually then as a sidearm, kind of like a pistol to a modern soldier, with the halberd being the service rifle, that's not too hard to believe.
Actualy, the main weapon used has changed over time.
Romans had the Gladius, a short sword.
Vikings used axes and swords
Swords were more common for a time
Then by the 1400's you were either a knight, archer, or anti-knight guy. That means you used a pike. These were used commonly up until about 1700's, when rifles with bayonets were more effective.
Romans- Spear and javelin. Short sword as sidearm.
Vikings- again spear and javelin plus axe. Sword if wealthy. Plus they didnt supply armies with weapons at all, every man took what he could afford to own.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Yeah, i remember how my history teacher told about that.
Back at that time the cavalry was unbelievably powerful. And then came these, that raped all the cavalry dead. The halberd had great reach and pulled a person off a horse asap. And If you're wearing a load of armor, try getting up. Seriously, the armor was really, really heavy.

I think there was some sort of battle even, when for the first time, a bunch of footmen beat a bunch of heavily armored horsemen, using these weapons. But my memory might be shitty.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Each medieval weapon had a specific purpose for a particular purpose, halberds were anti-cavalry if I remember correctly, but were bad to use in cramped conditions because they were very long. Soldiers usually carried 2 or 3 melee weapons, that is where the idea of a side-arm came from.

The type of armour also affected how well your weapon did, for example, chainmail stopped slashing weapons - large swords, but was bad against stabbing weapons - the Roman gladius, If a person was using a large, slow, slashing sword your best strategy would be using a quick, small stabbing sword to strike first, but small swords were suicide against a knight on horseback, or a polearm. Hence multiple weapons.

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Mongol composite bow? Theres a reason why the mongols were unstopable. On horseback it was nothing less than yon olde drive by.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Owlslayer said:
Back at that time the cavalry was unbelievably powerful. And then came these, that raped all the cavalry dead. The halberd had great reach and pulled a person off a horse asap. And If you're wearing a load of armor, try getting up. Seriously, the armor was really, really heavy.

I think there was some sort of battle even, when for the first time, a bunch of footmen beat a bunch of heavily armored horsemen, using these weapons. But my memory might be shitty.
You might be thinking of the battle of Crecy, where the British Longbowmen were the first people ever to stop a full french cavalry charge. At that time the French cavalry was one of the most renowned in Europe for being general badasses, and it was a tremendous upheaval of power. But you are right that polearms were anti-cavalry weapons, and devastating at their job, but they made sub-standard anti-infantry weapons, and stopped you from fighting with a shield.

EDIT: Oops, someone posted a link to a battle in which French Cavalry get butchered by the Flemish about 50 years before Crecy (Battle of Golden Spurs). I read about Crecy a while ago, so maybe it was the first time a French Cavalry charge were beaten by archers, or the first time their actual charge was stopped in its tracks, and retreated. Either way I got schooled, but the sentiment is the same.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Owlslayer said:

You might be thinking of the battle of Crecy, where the British Longbowmen were the first people ever to stop a full french cavalry charge. At that time the French cavalry was one of the most renowned in Europe for being general badasses, and it was a tremendous upheaval of power. But you are right that polearms were anti-cavalry weapons, and devastating at their job, but they made sub-standard anti-infantry weapons, and stopped you from fighting with a shield.
No, i think it was some other battle, on a smaller scale. Though i know the battle you're talking about. I think they used heavier arrow-points so longbow+aim upwards+gravity= arrow straight trough heavy armor. Or some thing like that.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
You know what's versatile? A rifle.

I can shoot you in the head, or if I'm feeling particularly malicious, the cock.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Assuming equal levels of armor on body and a 1 on 1 scenario.The halberd loses out against spears because it is more cumbersome. It loses out against swords, maces, flails, axes and other one-handed weapons because the off hand can be used exclusively for defense. It may be equal or better than a two-handed axe, because it's basically the same thing, only without the spear tip. It wins out against pikes, because pikes are more cumbersome. It wins against most cavalry because it's a polearm and does this better than other polearms because of the hook. So, uh, most versatile? No. Or, if we go by your method of counting, a rock is the most versatile thing because you can hit a man with any part of a rock and still cause damage.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Depends on the make and length, naturally (otherwise, the simple spear would be the more versatile choice), but you're more-or-less correct. It's a weapon that can function like a spear, poleax, club, and staff.

If they all came with their own detachable knives, they'd be the perfect melee weapon.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
green_dude said:
Halberds are cannon fodder weapons, in a one on one I think a sword would be much better.
That's what the long, pointy end of a polearm is for, keeping a sword-wielder from getting close.

And when they do get close, depending on the halberd, it basically turns into a sword vs. staff battle.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Each medieval weapon had a specific purpose for a particular purpose, halberds were anti-cavalry if I remember correctly, but were bad to use in cramped conditions because they were very long. Soldiers usually carried 2 or 3 melee weapons, that is where the idea of a side-arm came from.
You're thinking of a pike, which is technically a different weapon. Halberds were only about 5-6 feet long and would not be as effective against charging horsemen. Halberds were used more like two-handed axes, but with the added benefit of range, power, and a more versatile head.

Owlslayer said:
Owlslayer said:

No, i think it was some other battle, on a smaller scale. Though i know the battle you're talking about. I think they used heavier arrow-points so longbow+aim upwards+gravity= arrow straight trough heavy armor. Or some thing like that.
It might be the Battle of the Golden Spurs. Flemish footmen with spears and clubs called goedendags defeated the French heavy cavalry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Golden_Spurs

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
DeadSp8s said:
the halberd is a specialized weapon.
They're metal-reinforced staves with the capacity of axes, spears, and staves. They're effective formation, anti-cavalry, and personal defense weapons. Maybe you're thinking of the pike?

the sword is the most "versatile", by far.
Not really. "Swords" as a whole might be, but the only single sword that approaches halberd levels of versatility is probably the European bastard sword.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
In versatility the halberd is unmatched.

Just some critical issues-
-In the heat of battle, youre not likely to make use of it beyond 'hit them with sharp end'
-If someone gets in close, youre screwed. Even if you push them with the staff you have arms length, they have arms length and the length of thier sword or axe.
-Halberds arent small weapons. Carrying them isnt going to be pleasnt and if its wieght is negligible then it would be too light to be effective.
-Again they arent small. If you carry a weapon thats large and cumbersome its increases your visibility, and your chance of bieng shot at instead.

Personally I think the flail is better. Chief advantages/disavdantages are as follows.

Advantages-
-In combat cavalry can be knocked off thier horse by sheer impact of thier own weapons. Flail counters this because no force can be transferred up its chain.
-The chain allows it to curve around and hit the more vulnerable back of the soldier. Back then, armor was biult for front defence only. They didnt want thier soldiers to survive when they diecided to run away.
-Fear factor, Spikey ball on a spikey chain. As compared to a shiny stick or a pole with a sharp end.

Disadvantages-
-Control. Many flail users are at risk of thier swing missing and coming back to hit them. Those who arent are wearing special heavy armor to counter it.
-The chain can be grabbed. Spikes were later added to the chain to counter this, but it comes with a further thing to come back and hit you. Literally.
-Storage. There really is no way to keep this in a sheathe and carrying it on the road isnt pleasnt when you keep hitting your leg with it.