Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Basement Cat said:
Not scary, but it wasn't meant to be.
I would have been 9/10 when I first saw it.

I found it scary... :(

Samtemdo8 said:
Difference is Tom Cruise has more good movies than bad some of which were really good movies:

Top Gun
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Mission Impossible
Jerry Maguire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
The Last Samurai
War of the Worlds (imo)
Edge of Tomorrow/Live. Die. Repeat.
Of all of those, only seen War of the Worlds, Minority Report, and Mission: Impossible. I agree that they're both good movies, but I'll also add Oblivion and Rogue Nation to that list. Mission: Impossible II and Rock of Ages are fun also, but for me, more "average" than "good."

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Samtemdo8 said:
Imre Csete said:
Dalisclock said:
Does Tom Cruise even act? I thought he literally plays the same character in every movie he's in.
Vanilla Sky and Interview with the Vampire are good movies and he owns his roles in them. He's pretty creepy in both Eyes Wide Shut and Collateral, so I'd say yes. I don't like his early military service movies, but I guess those count aswell.

He's sorta like Nicolas Cage tbh, got some great performances in good movies, and horrible B ones aswell. Although Cage is more memetic when he's bad.

His recent works are pretty meh I agree, but I don't hold it against him.
Difference is Tom Cruise has more good movies than bad some of which were really good movies:

Top Gun
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Mission Impossible
Jerry Maguire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
The Last Samurai
War of the Worlds (imo)
I will fight you on Minority Report being a good movie. I think it's an awful fucking train-wreck.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Arnoxthe1 said:
I think the biggest crime by far is that Sofia's character was underused. Her character was the whole reason I was actually interested in this movie.

I didn't really care that much for Tom Cruise. I didn't care about Dr. Jekyll. (at least for this movie) I wanted to see this new Mummy in all her sexy unholy brilliance. Her motivations. What she was going to do.

Instead we get a Guardians of the Galaxy/Marvel universe wannabe. Are you kidding?
I wouldn't even dare compare it to Guardians of the Galaxy. Feels more like watching Suicide Squad since the mummy reminds me of Enchantress.

Also the mummy's underused? Tell that to Annabelle Wallis. Talk about the definition of blandest female character.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Imre Csete said:
Dalisclock said:
Does Tom Cruise even act? I thought he literally plays the same character in every movie he's in.
Vanilla Sky and Interview with the Vampire are good movies and he owns his roles in them. He's pretty creepy in both Eyes Wide Shut and Collateral, so I'd say yes. I don't like his early military service movies, but I guess those count aswell.

He's sorta like Nicolas Cage tbh, got some great performances in good movies, and horrible B ones aswell. Although Cage is more memetic when he's bad.

Top Gun
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Mission Impossible
Jerry Maguire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
The Last Samurai
War of the Worlds (imo)
True. I would also include Mission Impossible III, Ghost Protocol and some of Rogue Nation. I enjoyed Rogue Nation, but I do have major issues.

I'm not a big fan of Minority Report. I do agree with the rest of your list though. :)

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Brendan Fraiser's Mummy scared me more than this new one:

I'll agree with you on that.
Probably because the badguy IS a Walking Corpse/Mummy, and not some weird alternative fuckery that is this:

And what is with the 2 Eye Pupils seriously? I mean they should have just made a movie about the Tomb Kings of Warhammer:

Sofia's acting was fine. The problem is that the writing for the character is really terrible. I agree, the pupils thing was goddamn stupid. The film is pushing her to be evil so hard because evil, but then in the middle, tries to show her as some sympathetic puppy and then continues to be evil with no real motivation. At least with Imhotep, his motivations were clearly understandable and actually made you care.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Dirty Hipsters said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Imre Csete said:
Dalisclock said:

Top Gun
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Mission Impossible
Jerry Maguire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
The Last Samurai
War of the Worlds (imo)
I will fight you on Minority Report being a good movie. I think it's an awful fucking train-wreck.
I would fight you back if it was War of the Worlds you are talking about. But I was split on adding Minority Report or not.

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
I feel like the major problem with this movie was that it was too safe. It was entirely predictable, all the best jokes were in the trailers, this movie just didn't do enough of anything to be worthwhile. It felt more paint-by-numbers than what a movie kickstarting a universe should be.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Samael Barghest said:
I feel like the major problem with this movie was that it was too safe. It was entirely predictable, all the best jokes were in the trailers, this movie just didn't do enough of anything to be worthwhile. It felt more paint-by-numbers than what a movie kickstarting a universe should be.
I remember seeing the trailer. I don't remember any jokes. If there were, I guess they weren't funny.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
FalloutJack said:
Samael Barghest said:
I remember seeing the trailer. I don't remember any jokes. If there were, I guess they weren't funny.
The things that weren't jokes were accidentally quite funny though.

I think mummies are great and deserve a decent new movie, what with the over exposure of vampires and zombies these days. The last decent one I saw was in Adele Blanc Sec.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Don't you get it? Four movies' worth of boring universe-building in one 100-minute movie is the best way to start a franchise.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I've got no goddamn idea why this movie even exists. They've tried to kick-start a Universal cinematic universe twice already, and both times it failed. The movies are just bad. They're missing the key part of the formula, where they produce a movie that is good.

I don't know why they're trying so hard to build a shared universe when they already have one. It was called Van Helsing, and it was glorious and stupid and wonderful. Just make Van Helsing 2, where Hugh Jackman fights a mummy.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
bastardofmelbourne said:
I've got no goddamn idea why this movie even exists. They've tried to kick-start a Universal cinematic universe twice already, and both times it failed. The movies are just bad. They're missing the key part of the formula, where they produce a movie that is good.

I don't know why they're trying so hard to build a shared universe when they already have one. It was called Van Helsing, and it was glorious and stupid and wonderful. Just make Van Helsing 2, where Hugh Jackman fights a mummy.
They actually had a fun thing going with Dr. Jekyll and the like, but when you don't have the skill, good ideas only serve to deepen the dissapointment.

Just take the core concept of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, take the Alan Moore-ist needlessly edgy approach which doesn't work well at all in a movie and give it to a good director. I'd pay good money to see a flashy version of heroes and monsters of legends beating the crap out of each other.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Natemans said:
What happens when you have one of the worst screenwriters in Hollywood, Alex Kurtzman, try to direct a Universal monster movie for the first time along with trying desperately to make a cinematic universe, but kinda fail? You get this movie.
I'm in the tank for Tom Cruise, and I've long defended Kurtzman's work on the Star Trek reboots (which I love), but...yeah, this movie is terrible. I'm not sure what anyone was thinking here. I saw this somewhere else, but I'm stealing it -- it's like the studio made Big Trouble In Little China or Army of Darkness and didn't understand it was a joke and instead played it serious. It's THAT bad. It makes The Great Wall (and Matt Damon's ridiculous accent) look like Lord of the Fucking Rings.

And with all that's riding on this movie as the first of a new lucrative franchise/brand, I cannot understand how the studio execs and brass at Universal got the dailies on this movie and saw Russell Crowe turning into a mini-Hulk with an English cockney accent and said "Yes, that's what we want!"

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
The problem is that this is not a movie.
It's an advertisement for future movies.
The main focus of the production, from the very start, wasn't to make an good entertaining movie but to make a superhero shared universe.
All the cool kids have a superhero shared universe so Universal wanted one as well.

What's the worst thing about this is that nowadays, horror movies are making tons of money.
Conjuring 1 & 2, Anabelle, Get Out, Split, Don't Breathe, Lights Out, all of them made some serious profit on tiny budgets.
Even the bad horror movies make money (and even if they don't, the budget was small so it doesn't matter as much).
How about a HORROR shared universe?
They could make all of the movies for the cost of one blockbuster and people would eat that shit up.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:

Top Gun
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Mission Impossible
Jerry Maguire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
The Last Samurai
War of the Worlds (imo)
You seem to have entirely ignored his rather brilliant turn in the all round rather phenomenal Magnolia. Demonstrable proof that, when he can be arsed, he's an incredibly good actor.

Apropos Cruise; I liked Oblivion, too, although it was painfully derivative and the trailers spoiled the plot.

As for The Mummy? Never gonna see it, or probably any of the other dopey 'Dark Universe' entries, but it being shite made for another entertaining podcast from the Weekly Planet [http://weeklyplanetpod.libsyn.com/189-black-panther-the-mummy-is-terrible], so every dark cloud, and all...