The Muppets.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
We got any Muppets fans here? I've recently started watching The Muppet Show, and I've been hooked.

Reactions: gorfias

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Why haven't the shows after The Muppet Show been as successful? Was The Muppet Show lightning in a bottle?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why haven't the shows after The Muppet Show been as successful? Was The Muppet Show lightning in a bottle?
It's because of the time and changing in trends. The Muppets are still good and I always have fond memories of them, but people move on sadly. Plus, the mid to late nineties is where animatronics and puppeteering were being phased out. Albeit at a slow rate, but it was noticeable by the mid to late 90s.

My favorite Muppets movie will always be Treasure Island. I sadly, don't remember too many episodes of the muppets, because I saw them at a really young age and I didn't watch the reruns that often. Sure, I can buy the box it, but I really have no investment nor the will to do so.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oddly enough, the Muppet Show was not really a thing around here. I mean, we had Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and all the spin-off shows like Muppet Babies, Jim Henson Hour, even Muppets Tonight, but I don't remember it airing on our local tv networks. I think it was on BBC tho, but of course untranslated and no subs, and I was way young back then and didn't know any English yet, so what little I saw mostly got lost on me.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
They're an endearing bunch of floofpots. I remember getting involved with a girl some time ago who ended up being bad news, and while her fascination with the Kardashians may have been an early warning sign, the biggest red flag was a surprisingly strong hatred for the muppets. That should've been the moment I got out, but nope...such action would've required some tiny sense of selfworth!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The celebrities they managed to book week after week was nothing short of amazing. I especially loved the musical numbers from both recording artists and just actors and entertainers in general. I mean, I wouldn't tune in to listen to Jean Stapleton sing... but her "I'm Just Wild About Harry" with Crazy Harry on the Explodaphone was fantastic. Or finding out that Leslie Ann Warren was a good singer as well as actress, I could watch that bit with her, Suggs, the Muppaphones, and finally Rowlf for hours. Ditto the amazing musical numbers with Crystal Gayle.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thanks to the Internet, nothing is ever going away again. May not be a bad thing!
Found my favorite Muppets clip in seconds

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I enjoyed every jim henson related show growing up and the Muppets was no exception. Admittedly though after the end of the original series the rest of its kind of lost on me. Could be that the magic was lost with the writers of the original not being there. I don't care for the movies or babies or whatever else.

I think there was something special in the original series being invested in doing right by kids and adults, even celebrities recognizing the value of being a genuine part of it, rather than showing up because their agent told them to. Some of the celebrities that came out just seem to be having a complete blast with it which elevated the series.

I guess I'm saying it wasn't the Muppets for me, it was the authenticity of the cast and writing.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I think the Muppets are just some of those universally, timelessly funny characters and I believe as long as there are writers with a decent sense of humor working with them, they'll always be able to do something funny with them. Wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan, or anything, but I think the world would be a lot poorer without them.

Reactions: BrawlMan