Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Any controller that when attached to a stick can function as a trident is ok in my book.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
As someone who didnt own a 64, I didn't know this. I guess the neighbour kids had done that, and I simply never knew it wasnt the default setup.

Add to that, the progression of dual stick controls for fps making it seem particularly clumsy in hindsight.
The people you gamed with were sadists, because any setup other than the default for Goldeneye was garbage.

Also dual stick controls are still clumsy for FPS but they’re the best design you’re going to fit on a six inch PCB.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
You could in theory hold it in 3 different ways, depending on what you needed to do. It was merely the akward transition period from D-pad console controllers to dual-stick controllers.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
You weren't supposed to be trying to reach all buttons at the same time. A defense of the N64 controller

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

DellConagher

Jan 2, 2021
Country
United States
When you watch someone, it looks somewhat comfy, but I don't think the controller would be for me, as I have already said, I like xBox type contollers,

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I never had a problem with it, just hold the middle and right prong and you're good to go for the vast majority of the library. It's a dumb design but it's not actually a hindrance to the games you use it for.

Fuuuuuuck that thumbstick though.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
The issue with the three prongs isn't "how do I hold this?", but the fact that it's a bit of extra weight not being used that makes the controller awkward (even before it gets weird in three dimensions if you have a rumble pack and extra memory smashed in there).

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
They did wear out pretty fast, to my memory. Were there ever any third-party replacements on the market during the N64's run?
The third party controllers I remember didn't work all that well. They usually started with some dead movement, and were badly calibrated and wouldn't allow for the full range of movement.
The issue with the three prongs isn't "how do I hold this?", but the fact that it's a bit of extra weight not being used that makes the controller awkward (even before it gets weird in three dimensions if you have a rumble pack and extra memory smashed in there).
The thing as a whole was light enough (compared to other controllers) that the weight was never a problem... well, here is where some of my bias becomes clear. I'm left handed. Rumble pack, memory cards, for most games that extra weight was in the off-hand for most gamers, that may have contributed to it feeling odd to many. But it meant the thing was actually fairly well balanced for southpaws.

So yeah, I defend the N64 controller... but I do admit I understand that it might feel more awkward to a right-handed person than it did for me.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I do remember being quite intimidated by the shape as a wee lass at first, but as soon as a couple of younger kids were observed holding it with the left hand holding the middle tentacle with the trigger, it all made sense from there, and I did ultimately grow to prefer it to the playstation controller. Sooooo....never been a problem really. The 3rd party ones often weren't great though.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
They did wear out pretty fast, to my memory. Were there ever any third-party replacements on the market during the N64's run?
There were plenty of third party controller options but I wouldn't call any of the ones I've encountered better. A friend of mine actually modified a handful of controllers and put gamecube thumbsticks on them.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The third party controllers I remember didn't work all that well. They usually started with some dead movement, and were badly calibrated and wouldn't allow for the full range of movement.

The thing as a whole was light enough (compared to other controllers) that the weight was never a problem... well, here is where some of my bias becomes clear. I'm left handed. Rumble pack, memory cards, for most games that extra weight was in the off-hand for most gamers, that may have contributed to it feeling odd to many. But it meant the thing was actually fairly well balanced for southpaws.

So yeah, I defend the N64 controller... but I do admit I understand that it might feel more awkward to a right-handed person than it did for me.
How can a rumble pack or a memory pack be off centre on that controller? They were in the middle of it.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
How can a rumble pack or a memory pack be off centre on that controller? They were in the middle of it.
I think they meant that, since a right-handed person is going to have their right hand on the right most prong always, then their left hand is the one that has to hold more of the weight, as the rumble pack would either be directly in front of your left hand when you held the middle. Having picked up my own N64 controller recently, it's a lot lighter than I remember (I don't have a rumble pack or memory card), though it is an aftermarket reproduction of a standard Nintendo controller. Gamecube controller is probably still their best controller though, except for that dumb c-stick.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

For the vast majority of games, you held the center with your left and the right with your right.

Which put the (clunky and weighty I should add), rumble pack entirely on the left side in relation to your hands. Its an exacerbation of the main issue the controller had. You would generally have the one side in your right hand, then your left hand would be holding up the center and left components. If you drew a picture then just erased the left side/d-pad, you'd immediately notice how weird the design was.

IF you were playing whatever (usually fighting games, I dont' recall too much else using it/being 2d)) with the D-pad, then yeah, the rumbles i nthe center.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I just want to say that I miss the N64 incarnations of established Nintendo franchises.

I still think to this day Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is the definitive Zelda art style imo.