The New Gang is Here in First Image From Paul Feig's Ghostbusters

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
The New Gang is Here in First Image From Paul Feig's Ghostbusters

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1020/1020083.jpg

If I'm ranking the new cast according to how badass they look, I'm going McKinnon, Jones, McCarthy, and then Wiig. What can I say? Wiig is simply too adorable to ever pose much of a threat in my eyes, even while packing a Neutrona Wand capable of causing every molecule in my body to explode at the speed of light.

An unofficial synopsis for Feig's Ghostbusters is below, via the Boston Herald [http://www.bostonherald.com/inside_track/the_inside_track/2015/06/ghostbusters_reboot_starts_filming_in_boston_this_week]:

Wiig and McCarthy play a pair of unheralded authors who write a book positing that ghosts are real. Flash forward a few years and Wiig lands a prestigious teaching position at Columbia U. Which is pretty sweet, until her book resurfaces and she is laughed out of academia.

Wiig reunites with McCarthy and the other two proton pack-packing phantom wranglers, and she gets some sweet revenge when ghosts invade Manhattan and she and her team have to save the world.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/16/10288180/ghostbusters-official-cast-photo]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

Screw you Hollywood, you don't get to take the plot of a classic, suck out the jokes, flip the genders and then pretend that your reboot is anything but trash at the conceptual level. If there where any doubts that this movie would be anything other then garbage, they have been put to rest once and for all. Who the hell approved of this monstrosity and how the hell did they get high enough on the ladder to make that mistake?

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
If that synopsis is accurate this ...thing... will be even worse than I thought it would be.

As for the picture: it's pretty much exactly what I imagined. One to be average, one to be tough, one to be pretty, and one to be big, black, and scary.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And still nothing about this instills me with any confidence that this isn't going to be utter trash all for the sake of wrangling a few more dollars from fans. Not even the actual Ghostbusters could make a proper follow up, and these guys look like a bunch of cosplayers with a smoke machine.

And you're telling me that after Manhatten has gotten attacked on a huge scale by ghosts twice, we still get the 'protagonists laughed away by the Establishment over their insistence that ghosts exist' set up?! The fucking Statue of Liberty walked the streets on New Year's Eve! You think that'd be an image that would stick in people's memories.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I don't think the cast looks that bad, I actually kind of like the character designs...

Casual Shinji said:
And you're telling me that after Manhatten has gotten attacked on a huge scale by ghosts twice, we still get the 'protagonists laughed away by the Establishment over their insistence that ghosts exist' set up?! The fucking Statue of Liberty walked the streets on New Year's Eve! You think that'd be an image that would stick in people's memories.
Though this is a valid point and something that equally confuses me.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
And still nothing about this instills me with any confidence that this isn't going to be utter trash all for the sake of wrangling a few more dollars from fans. Not even the actual Ghostbusters could make a proper follow up, and these guys look like a bunch of cosplayers with a smoke machine.

Hilariously I didn't even think about that. Or is this supposed to be a complete reboot of the series, as in the events of the original Ghostbusters (and II) never actually happened? If so, are they female versions of Egon, Ray, Venkman, and Winston, or are they new characters?

Actually, I have like no interest in seeing this, why am I asking all these questions?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
Actually, I have like no interest in seeing this, why am I asking all these questions?
Because you put more thought into it then the people making this movie.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
They look kinda goofy. Not in a good way or that the originals looked particularly cool or anything in their jumpsuits but the depiction of these feel silly. Maybe that's just me though. Hopefully the movie is good.

EDIT: Well, in the time it took me to post this apparently it definitely isn't just me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
It could also be a good movie people, just a thought.

I might give it a watch since I do enjoy the Ghostbusters, especially the cartoon series.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
It could also be a good movie people, just a thought.

I might give it a watch since I do enjoy the Ghostbusters, especially the cartoon series.
Sure, and the Pre-Sequel might not have been a cheap gimmicky cashgrab.

The fact that they can't seem to stay consistent with their premise being that this is a continuation or reboot of the franchise really should tell alot though.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
that screenplay is hilariously awful and that photo looks like a shot from a shitty SNL skit.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ascarus said:
that screenplay is hilariously awful and that photo looks like a shot from a shitty SNL skit.
Ah yeah, that explains part of what I thought was wrong about it. It's like the artistic directors just don't care or aren't quality. If the overall director signed off on this then it is problematic for the rest of the movie.

Depending on the budget, I'd expect they'd still get an ok ROI just from the popularity of the name. But this doesn't look good.

I'm just hoping we're not in for Adam Sandler-esque humor here.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I haven't seen anything wrong yet, so I don't really understand the belly aching. I'm distrustful of reboots of old franchises in general, but I've seen enough good ones to know its worth withholding judgement at least until the god damn thing is released.

One positive thing I can say is that McCarthy has a tendency to appear in things that appear crap on paper but are actually really good - things like The Heat, which the most formulaic of buddy cop movies...that is somehow one of the funniest things I saw that year.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
maninahat said:
I haven't seen anything wrong yet, so I don't really understand the belly aching.
Ditto here. The synopsis is so barebones and broad that you can't possibly make any judgements yet. A pair of the 'busters get kicked out of academia for their theories (which is far from the worst thing that a remake could riff off of), and then there's ghosts. There's nothing to complain about yet.

The photo's decent. It's got some of the same kitschy, 80's feel of the original. Cast sames varied. Hope the Token Black Person gets more to do in this movie than in the original.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I love Ghostbusters SOOOOOO much, I'm totally withholding judgement at very least till we get a trailer. I want more information.

Supahewok said:
maninahat said:
I haven't seen anything wrong yet, so I don't really understand the belly aching.
Ditto here. The synopsis is so barebones and broad that you can't possibly make any judgements yet. A pair of the 'busters get kicked out of academia for their theories (which is far from the worst thing that a remake could riff off of), and then there's ghosts. There's nothing to complain about yet.

The photo's decent. It's got some of the same kitschy, 80's feel of the original. Cast sames varied. Hope the Token Black Person gets more to do in this movie than in the original.
I'm with the both of you, at least wait till we see a bad trailer before it's labeled as horrible or terrible.