The new Godzilla movie is a rip-off

Almack

May 1, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Almack said:
I feel like this is gonna be a fairly common reaction among G fans who see this movie in that they love godzilla and they just want more of him Kristian Harloff from schmoes know had a similar complaint with the movie and hes is a big godzilla fan. Mind you in the original he has at total of 17 minutes of screen time that that movie is 98 minutes long so 30 minutes for about a 2 hour movie doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me and I'm a massive fan of godzilla having watched every movie minimum 3 times.
I'm not a Godzilla fan and until very recently didn't realize he had any. All I know is that the trailers and the ads and all things marketing point to one thing, and the movie delivers another very different thing.
I gotta say i don't think i really agree with you there giant monster action fighting set pieces haven't been teased in the slightest aside from the asia trailer. Hell for the first few trailers we hardly got to see godzilla at all either a silhouette or a reflection in some glass or glimpsed very briefly at the end. What i took from the trailers was setting a tone. Now Pacific Rim that was a movie were the monster fights and action were featured a lot in the advertising the whole point of the movie being to watch robots punch monsters but for godzilla I don't really think so.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
HardkorSB said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is it a spoiler if I tell you Godzilla is barely in his own movie? The movie lasts 123 minutes and Godzilla shows up for the final 30, maybe 35 minutes. Like, properly show up. There're some seconds of "fake stock footage" in the intro, and then he spends the majority of the movie underwater, swimming uneventfully towards the plot for 90 minutes. I'm not even kidding. The real conflict comes from the destruction two other kaiju wreak during the movie. Godzilla is a freaking deus ex machina in his own movie.

Is it a spoiler if I'm denouncing false advertising? I don't think so. I'm not asking anyone to boycott the movie or anything silly like that, but just so you know, Godzilla's barely in it. He's awesome and yadda yadda, but I still feel ripped off. There's no good reason for doing this other than somehow filling out a two hour long movie.
Maybe that's a sign of good pacing?
Seeing Godzilla in action is the pay off in this movie. If you see the pay off before the first half of the movie ends, the second half is usually lackluster.
In Pacific Rim, the battle with the 2 monsters in the city (the big one and the flying one) was the highlight of the movie and made the climax have a lot less impact.
From the trailer, I got a Cloverfield, almost horror-esque vibe so it would seem logical not to show the main monster in a scary movie before the last act.
If I were to make this movie, act 1 would only feature the damage the monster has left and maybe witness testimonies, act 2 would show glimpses of it (and maybe some other monsters to cause havoc and show how dangerous these things are, as well as some cool city destruction scenes), only in act 3 would you see the main monster in it's entirety.
The thing is the "main" monster doesn't feel main at all. And it's not really a horror movie, it's a disaster movie occasionally trying to pass for horror in some very implausible scenes in which people somehow manage to miss the 300 foot tall monster just around the corner.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
The movie has over 4000 10/10 votes on IMDB and it's only been out for less than a week and in US only at that, dafuq.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I've seen it, and I loved how they did it. They gave you glimpses of Godzilla and the MUTOS throughout, but they are done so well. Every step, every roar, every action they take makes them feel titanic, like 'Gods' to quote the movie. But its only a short bit, five minutes or so before jumping somewhere else. It leaves you wanting more and more, until it all pays off in that final epic battle. Its like watching the Avengers or Jaws. You're waiting for the last ten minutes, and everything before then is all about psyching you up for those last 10 minutes. As a Godzilla fan, I can tell you it honestly was one of the few G-Films that didn't feel boring with its human characters and make me go "Just get to Godzilla"

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
Honestly, in my opinion that makes the movie even better, the best Godzilla movies have minimal Godzilla in them. I mean, that's what the audience wants right? So by holding off on giving him screen time, you've hopefully worked folks into such a lather that they go completely ape-shit when he finally hits the screen in earnest.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Browncoat86 said:
Honestly, in my opinion that makes the movie even better, the best Godzilla movies have minimal Godzilla in them. I mean, that's what the audience wants right?
"The people going to watch Godzilla don't want to watch Godzilla very much"?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lacey said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Browncoat86 said:
Honestly, in my opinion that makes the movie even better, the best Godzilla movies have minimal Godzilla in them. I mean, that's what the audience wants right?
"The people going to watch Godzilla don't want to watch Godzilla very much"?
You've already said that you don't really know much about Godzilla movies, so maybe try actually listening to the fans instead of taking the piss. It's not that people don't want Godzilla, it's just that they don't necessarily want him shoving his massive scaly face in the camera every two seconds, starting from five minutes into the movie. There is such a thing as pacing, and Godzilla does that well.
Extremes, extremes. Nobody asked for the thing to show up in the first 5 minutes. It could show up at least halfway through. If the movie had been better paced I wouldn't have minded as much.

Almack

May 1, 2012
Lacey said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Extremes, extremes. Nobody asked for the thing to show up in the first 5 minutes. It could show up at least halfway through. If the movie had been better paced I wouldn't have minded as much.
He shows up way before the halfway mark. Hell, he's one of the very first things in the movie. They just keep his screen time limited until the final battle, since that's what everything is building towards.
I heard he does actually get his full reveal literally at the half way point of the movie Johnny you didn't go to the washroom then did you?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Strain42 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm not entirely sure why you're yelling at me about that. I actually really like Zilla :) I mean yeah, I didn't really care for the movie, but I do like Zilla as a monster and I think he deserves another shot. Like you said, the show was really good.

There's a lot of potential for Zilla.
Not you, just yelling generically at Godzilla fans. Like a crazy man standing outside a hospital heckling the families of newborns, "Ohhhh you had a baby! I bet that was hard!"

Purist hate Zilla, but I still think he can fuck a mother up.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Not that surprising...This film is what happens when a US film company takes a film franchise from overseas and messes it up completely... it happens all the time so is anyone really surprised... i'm not ,this happens all the time here in the US.. our movies studios are really skilled at destroying properties from other counties.. like the dragon ball z film, or the girl with the dragon tattoo.. or that stupid film pacific rim.. was which basically a badly done live action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, mixed with Godzilla and Gundam..

Almack

May 1, 2012
crazygameguy4ever said:
Not that surprising...This film is what happens when a US film company takes a film franchise from overseas and messes it up completely... it happens all the time so is anyone really surprised... i'm not ,this happens all the time here in the US.. our movies studios are really skilled at destroying properties from other counties.. like the dragon ball z film, or the girl with the dragon tattoo.. or that stupid film pacific rim.. was which basically a badly done live action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, mixed with Godzilla and Gundam..
so many things in the last half of this post make me wanna take the bait but I wont

spacemutant IV

Feb 25, 2012
Just saw it, and I think it's mediocre.

I had heard about the directors previous big movie, Monsters, and avoided it. I knew exactly what the reviews and opinions about that movie were referring to, that it was about hinting at these creatures more than giving them a lot of screen time, and I knew I had no interest in seeing that, so I didn't. But this is Godzilla, I did want to see that, and here I see the same thing happening that I had previously avoided subjecting myself to. I don't think it works for this movie. You can tell that this is something that the guy is treating as an artform, he prides himself in his skill (and I think it really does take skill), to underwhelm the audience ever so little, in an attempt to break out of the race for ever bigger spectacle, and to give more weight to that which ends up being seen. But this is not what I want to see in a Godzilla movie.

The final battle happens at night, and I think this was a bad choice. The thing about these creatures is that they are huge, but when you can't see a lot of the city around them that the battle is happening in, then you lose your sense of scale, and I think the monsters were a bit wasted here. The scene before the battle, where Godzilla shows up in the Bay, and the one after the battle is over, where he is again seen in broad daylight, are much better, because you do get a sense of how huge he is. Unfortunately, the first of these scenes is very short, and the latter only shows him leaving for the ocean again.

I did not like his design all that much, though that will be subject to taste. I thought that his face was a bit too expressive/overanimated, and I guess I expect big things to be slower and all around more rigid, so this made him a bit less believable, or so I felt. Maybe I also wasn't quite convinced by the CGI. Same thing applies to his chest, which was bulking a lot with his breathing, and I thought was a bit too much.

The story barely even exists. The frame is all coincidence, making these creatures show up wherever our main character happens to be, or where his family happens to be, and everything else that happens is completely pointless. The human plan for dealing with the situation doesn't factor in at all, which, if you insist on making the movie about the humans more than the creatures, it should.

Then there is the blatant fan service, which directly contradicts earlier claims that this movie would treat Godzilla as a force of nature. It does not; it treats him as an overgrown Raptor Jesus. Godzilla is our saviour, his only purpose is to kill the bad bad monsters which do us harm. Why? They could have made it that he eats them after he kills them, but he doesn't. It doesn't make a lot of sense, although there was a scene of boring exposition which I used to go take a piss, maybe there they explained that he hunts and kills these creatures out of some reflex, as some animals instinctively kill each other, because they compete for the same resources, or to protect their young. But even if that was the case, when his reasons are only talked of, and not shown, then they are simply justification for a script that was already written and had holes in it, rather than an actual plot point.

There was too much goodwill for Godzilla, and too much empathy was asked of the audience to bring to the table, without justification in the movie itself. This is also fan service, done in a bad way. He is a giant lizard that happens to fight other giant creatures, and preferrably in our puny little human cities. There is absolutely no reason for trying to make it so emotional when he goes down one moment, and rises up again in the next. It is embarassing, actually. After he finished his opponents, a caption on the news read, "Has the king of monsters saved our city?" After some gentle stroking and buildup, I guess this is the moment where we the audience are supposed to cum in our pants.

The music was a mess of unrelated tunes.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Lacey said:
I was fine with it. It's just a slow build-up to the reveal, and the eventual pay-off is great. Gareth Edwards just wanted to give the action some pacing instead of blowing his load in the first 10 minutes.

Calling it "false advertising" is just silly. That's like saying that calling Alien "Alien" was false advertising because you hardly ever get any close-ups of the alien.
Dude, Final Wars gave us that build-up but not by going slow but by the opposite. Final Wars start with

Godzilla being frozen in Antarctica, Gigan being found frozen, all the kaiju being taken up by aliens

And after a fairly quick "mystery" ends with

All the kaiju being released back, forces in the earth self-defense force being converted, and Godzilla killing all the kaiju and then the Kaiser King Ghidorah

hell look at this famous/infamous scene (no plot details so i can show it)

This is what I expect a godzilla movie to be like: loud, explosive,overly cheesy and fun. I do't want it to be completely slow

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Almack said:
I feel like this is gonna be a fairly common reaction among G fans who see this movie in that they love godzilla and they just want more of him Kristian Harloff from schmoes know had a similar complaint with the movie and hes is a big godzilla fan. Mind you in the original he has at total of 17 minutes of screen time that that movie is 98 minutes long so 30 minutes for about a 2 hour movie doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me and I'm a massive fan of godzilla having watched every movie minimum 3 times.
I'm starting to think that a lot of people going to see this remake are unaware of how the original Gojira worked. The movie was really very little about the monster, and more about the human characters and the horrors of nuclear warfare (Gojira is just a side-effect of all that). I, for one, am pretty interested in the remake now, seeing as how they managed to stay truer to the original than many other attempts have.
The original yes but as someone who loves "Final Wars", I don't want it to be completely slow and plotting. Final Wars had a significant amount of action and conspiracy before going right into the Massive "Godzilla kills all (especially Zilla, he is absolutly humiliated)".

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Diddy_Mao said:
to be fair. That's pretty much the gold standard for Godzilla films.

Step 1. Establish the human cast.

These characters are usually scientists or military officials working on a project that either directly relates to Godzilla by studying his biology & ecosystem or creating defensive plans.

Or they're researchers in a field that will soon become relevant. Radiologists, Biologists...time travelers.

Step 2. Establish the threat.
Introduce the vs Monster for the movie. The Human cast discovers a heretofore unknown life form (growing as a surprising rate!) or an alien creature or the natural phenomena that the researchers were studying turns out to be a byproduct of another Monster.

Step 2a. Realize the threat.

The monster attacks some major metropolitan area and stomps the holy hell out of everything in sight. The human cast devises some way to stop the threat which doesn't work and the military fights back and is defeated.

Inter-cut with scenes of Godzilla waking up and plodding his big green hide out to the mainland.

Step 3. Godzilla!

With all the major plot points resolved Godzilla finally shows up, beats the shit out of the monster and then fucks off back to Monster island.

Human cast reflects on how history shows again and again that nature makes up for the folly of man.

Step 4. Roll credits.

Look, I like Godzilla a lot but a little bit of the big lug goes a long way. Check out Final Wars one of these days. It's almost nothing but a 120 minute Monster fight montage and it's exhausting to watch.
I can understand why Final Wars can be exhausting but I do consider it my favorite and would at least want something with the conspiracy or a more quirky element like the aliens.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
spacemutant IV said:
The final battle happens at night, and I think this was a bad choice.
I don't know if you noticed but every battle happens at night or is otherwise masked by rain. It felt every bit of a cop out as it did back in 1998.