The New U.S. Penny design is a terrible idea.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
mew4ever23 said:
Aris Khandr said:
Why are we still even making pennies?
An excellent question, since pennies actually cost more to make than the coin is worth.
So do Nickels, but we (The us) feel the compulsive need to make new designs on those (the buffalo one).

Honestlly, I odnt even know anyone that uses them for change, or machines that take them besides the one in toll collection machines for roads.

And you should care, our pennies are pretty much interchangable.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Why the fuck are we still making a coin that is worth less than the raw materials used to manufacture it?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
The design on currency (at least for American currency) was never about the average person understanding it. Look at the back of the 1 dollar bill. I'll bet most people don't know what the hell that pyramid thingy is there for or what it has at all to do with the United States.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
Small Waves said:
Why the fuck are we still making a coin that is worth less than the raw materials used to manufacture it?
This.

Also, I simply don't care. Personally I've always found wheat pennies to be more aesthetically appealing than any other designs anyways. (shrugs)

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Eumersian said:
I don't think I would say "ugly". More "boring".

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned and just want the penny to stay the same way (even though I almost never find myself using them), but I feel like the shield just doesn't say as much as the Lincoln Memorial. It's not something that I can identify and understand as well as an engraved Lincoln Memorial in my currency. Tourists don't go to Washington D.C. to see a shield.

The new design also has less detail, which is basically what I meant by "boring".
MisterGobbles said:
Aris Khandr said:
I agree that the old design is better, but I don't think the new design is bad, just painfully unoriginal.
I'd say painfully unoriginal and boring are fair descriptions as well. To me though, its the total lack of depth that make it ugly. It doesn't have a feeling of 3d like the lincoln memorial.

Dorian_Winter

Jan 13, 2011
The whole thing is redundant. I'm Australian and even I know that the majority of Americans do not use pennies, that the majority of toll booths no longer accept them and the process of mining the copper and zinc to produce the useless things is expensive, detrimental to the environment and downright pointless.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
This, wtf do you even do with pennies anyway? try to use them just to get rejected because they aren't worth shit. All they do is make things confusing (only $39.99! <--- NO ITS NOT YOU JACKASS) and weigh down your wallet. They also cost double their value to make (1 penny costs 2 pennies to make) so they are a waste of money for the government.

Either let us use pennies or STOP MAKING THEM

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I just throw pennies at things anyway. it's not like they can be used to buy anything. best summed up here.
<youtube=FffTJk-gFKc>

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
It still has Lincoln's face on the obverse, so I don't see what the problem is. Will you forget who is on the penny in the time it takes to flip to the shield on the reverse?

I don't see why the symbolism bothers you; all our money has symbolism on it that a lot of people don't understand, and I'd bet a good bit that there are plenty of people that didn't even know that the building on the reverse was the Lincoln Memorial.

Besides, numismatists are easy to piss off with insignificant crap, so why worry anyway? Bother us when the vexillologists have something to gripe about; that's usually indicative of major shit going down.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Well to be honest, the more iconic image that I remember is the side that has his face on it rather than the memorial, and since that hasn't changed I'm not terribly bothered.

And it's not like the old pennies will immediately go out of circulation. I mean, how long ago did they introduce the state themed quarters? But you still come across the eagle ones all the time.

I actually kind of like the variety. Also, the new pennies are shiiiiinnny.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Kalezian said:

just..let..the..penny..DIE..ALREADY!

............ I blame the Tea Party people.............
I haven't finished the video yet, but its the best ever. I've done the same thing when I had 5 dollars in pennies, but not 88.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Kalezian said:

just..let..the..penny..DIE..ALREADY!
When you can do stuff like this, NEVER! Stuff like this is just awesome. I rmemeber somone once tried this at the theatre I worked with. he Ordered 50 bucks worth of stuff, then put 50 dollars worth of unsorted pennies down and told me to either accept it or count it.

I handed it back and said count it up, I got all day. It was all rather funny, especially when my manager walked over and made the customer count the pennies.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
They need to get rid of the penny. At this point it is just a dead currency and it is costing us more to make a penny then a penny is in fact worth in value today.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
OK why the hell do people keep suggesting that change our money? what was wrong with the old designs? anyone remember those new designs that were proposed for our paper money? they looked like tickets to a museum or something.