The New WarCry Gives You a Top-Down View on MMOs

Atlys

is best pony
Mar 3, 2011
I am really digging this new site. I frequent sites like MMOBomb, MMORPG.com and (when I absolutely have to) MMOHut. This will make a nice addition to my MMO searching databases.

Jhereg42 said:
Considering the s***storm that just overtook my MMO this weekend, I feel like this is a sign. LOL. Thanks for providing a place to go hunting again.
That MMO wouldn't happen to be Mabinogi would it? :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I died a bit (in a good way) when I saw the entry for Myst Online. It's... technically accurate, if a bit bare-bones. ;P

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
April fools or not, I can't imagine the few old curmudgeons still hanging on to those forums are going to be happy about this. I remember just how annoyed they got when Daystar tried to revive them last year.

I hope it's not an April Fool's joke, by the way. I can't imagine that site has done anything but lose money since it stopped getting new content.
They're going to be VERY upset indeed, as there appear to be no more forums. All comments are placed at the bottom of the article, in User Group format.

Ah well, they can come join us whippersnappers. :D

And it's not a joke. I'm very surprised at how complete it all feels already on day one. It's kind of eerie, actually. There was way too much work put into this for it to be a prank.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
lacktheknack said:
And it's not a joke. I'm very surprised at how complete it all feels already on day one. It's kind of eerie, actually. There was way too much work put into this for it to be a prank.
Pretty much this, I was expecting a bare bones, barely functioning website to function as pranks, but was surprised to find the sleek website you've created. Nice to see you've breathed life into the old website I'll definitely make sure to investigate it fully since I've always wanted to play MMOs but being primary a console gamer I've never had a place to see which one(s) I'd enjoy.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Atlys said:
I am really digging this new site. I frequent sites like MMOBomb, MMORPG.com and (when I absolutely have to) MMOHut. This will make a nice addition to my MMO searching databases.

Jhereg42 said:
Considering the s***storm that just overtook my MMO this weekend, I feel like this is a sign. LOL. Thanks for providing a place to go hunting again.
Nah, Forsaken World. They released a high value CS pack for a fraction of the cost (Fat fingered the sale price from ~850 CS currency to 20 CS currency) on Saturday and the entire community went wild on them. Once they realized the error they took the servers down for 9+ hours on Sunday and rolled the whole thing back to last Friday before the sale. The whole holiday weekend's activity was lost in the process. to make up for it after the roll back, they released a "we're sorry" gift code that was kinda nice. . . but underestimated the power of an angry group of gamers. They found a way to exploit the gift pack in the morning and continued to do so until the GMs woke up on the west coast.

Things are calming down in game at least, but the game forums are still a toxic mess of rage and stupidity. I actually really feel bad for the GMs trying to sort this out.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Perfect timing Greg, I've been looking for a new game for me and my friends to play online and then this goes up.
I'll be checking it out a bit more thoroughly in the morning.

Atlys

is best pony
Mar 3, 2011
Jhereg42 said:
Atlys said:

Jhereg42 said:
Nah, Forsaken World. They released a high value CS pack for a fraction of the cost (Fat fingered the sale price from ~850 CS currency to 20 CS currency) on Saturday and the entire community went wild on them. Once they realized the error they took the servers down for 9+ hours on Sunday and rolled the whole thing back to last Friday before the sale. The whole holiday weekend's activity was lost in the process. to make up for it after the roll back, they released a "we're sorry" gift code that was kinda nice. . . but underestimated the power of an angry group of gamers. They found a way to exploit the gift pack in the morning and continued to do so until the GMs woke up on the west coast.

Things are calming down in game at least, but the game forums are still a toxic mess of rage and stupidity. I actually really feel bad for the GMs trying to sort this out.
Wow that really does sound like a mess. I hope they can get that sorted out, but it is nice to see that the GMs are trying to make it up to everyone for the loss of a weekend. One little typo and a world can come crashing down.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Blazing Steel said:
lacktheknack said:
Pretty much this, I was expecting a bare bones, barely functioning website to function as pranks, but was surprised to find the sleek website you've created. Nice to see you've breathed life into the old website I'll definitely make sure to investigate it fully since I've always wanted to play MMOs but being primary a console gamer I've never had a place to see which one(s) I'd enjoy.
Thanks guys! It definitely was a flurry of work to get this all together. Would you believe me if I told we did it all in less than 3 months? Yeah, I wouldn't believe it either. :)

Terragent

Jan 15, 2010
Site is pretty borked. Want to look at the second page of a category? Have fun with your non-functional links that just point you to # on the current page. Too much focus on pretty pictures, not enough on basic page functionality. The big-picture objective is pretty enough, but you have to implement it competently if you want anyone to jump on board.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Terragent said:
Site is pretty borked. Want to look at the second page of a category? Have fun with your non-functional links that just point you to # on the current page. Too much focus on pretty pictures, not enough on basic page functionality. The big-picture objective is pretty enough, but you have to implement it competently if you want anyone to jump on board.
Pretty much this. Site is borked, maybe you should leave the bragging in till after you actually have a functioning site.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I was checking out my favourite MMO, Ragnarok Online, but some of the information on the game was inaccurate and it didn't really have much to say about the meat of the gameplay that would make you want to pick it over other games. It doesn't really indicate that the game is I kind of wish the pages for the games went more in-depth about how the game plays and not just what content is present. Even knowing that not every game can be played by the site staff, surely there is a way to get more information from the game operators. Using RO as an example, the most compelling reason to play is that you have complete control over how to build your character; not a single stat point or skill is decided for you automatically, but there is no indication that this is even a feature (despite being the core feature!) of the game.

Ross Tuddin

Sep 6, 2011
Im really not that into MMOs but I would like some sort of questionare as a way of narrowing down the games to a handful of choices. I understand that would take a considerable amount of effort involved catagorising every MMO, but something like that would be a really amazing tool for new MMO players and someone moving onto their next game.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
There's some nice descriptions for each game, and it's handy with a collection of basic information.

I see an opportunity for you to add some screenshots of your own with actual gameplay. Most MMO publishers create screenshots that are really just setpieces with the UI removed. Having screenshots with typical gameplay and the UI showing can be very telling.

Speaking of screenshots, the links to the full galleries results in a 404. For instance http://www.warcry.com/codex/gallery/564

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Thanks for the bug reports, guys. As with anything in this world, there's room for improvement and we're busy tracking down every broken aspect of WarCry now. I wouldn't go so far as to call the whole thing borked, but know that we're working to fix it. Keep the reports coming in!

Greg

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Ross Tuddin said:
Im really not that into MMOs but I would like some sort of questionare as a way of narrowing down the games to a handful of choices. I understand that would take a considerable amount of effort involved catagorising every MMO, but something like that would be a really amazing tool for new MMO players and someone moving onto their next game.
That was actually a concept I had early on in development but you're right it would take a long time to create. It's still on the white board though - I'd love to have a graphical interface that let you make decisions to narrow down your tastes to a the perfect game for you.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
popa_qwerty said:
Is it me or is this a escapist site
That's because it is ... Kind of. WarCry is operated by a similar team but it's a separate property.

Greg

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Caramel Frappe said:
Just checked the website out.... anddddd holy crap is it beautiful.

I love it, very well designed with the coolest layout I could picture. Plus, all the features sound to good to be true- but alas it's all true. I must say this is highly amazing, noble, and grand overall along the fact you guys are even giving free giveaways.
That's just... super awesome if not spectacular. Sorry if it sounds like I am being to kiss-butt but.. just makes me feel so happy that there's staff that care for the people and do these awesome deeds. We love you guys :)
Thanks Caramel!