The Newest Legacy WoW Server has Already Been Shut Down

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Newest Legacy WoW Server has Already Been Shut Down

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1419/1419752.jpgAfter four years of preparation, the World of Warcraft legacy server Felmyst was hit with a cease and desist less than five hours after launch.

The latest World of Warcraft legacy server to fall victim to the dreaded raid boss Cease & Desist is Felmyst. The server was focused on The Burning Crusade expansion, and had been in development for four years.

The hype had been building to the launch for the past few weeks, and when the server went live, thousands of players rushed to sign up. Many weren't even able to get logged into the game before the news came down - Blizzard had sent a cease and desist letter to the server's creator, Gummy 52.

The Felmyst website [https://felmyst.com/] has been replaced with a photo of said C&D letter, and an explanation from Gummy52. He explained that he was able to devote so much time to the project over the past four years due having muscular dystrophy, which left him unable to work. Furthermore, the disease precludes him moving to somewhere Blizzard's lawyers can't reach.

This is just another cautionary tale for the WoW legacy server community. It takes years to get a solid server off the ground, and it can all go away in less time than it takes to get through the login queue. As for legacy servers, most folks are pinning their hopes on Blizzard doing something official, but there's been no indication of that so far. Maybe we'll see something at BlizzCon in November, but it seems unlikely.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
<5 hours for 4 years worth of work? Damn.

But I guess, thems the rules.

That being said, between this, Nostalrius, and the however many other private servers running out there, there is OBVIOUSLY a demand for this kind of content, so I am still baffled that Blizzard aren't capitalising on this kind of thing.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Not surprising that the cease and desist arrived that fast, if there was a hype building around the launch of the server. The sad thing is that whoever is responsible for sicking the legal team on the server probably got some sick pleasure from waiting for the launch before they stopped the legacy server. They obviously knew about it before the launch, so they could have contacted him that before the launch

Laggyteabag said:
That being said, between this, Nostalrius, and the however many other private servers running out there, there is OBVIOUSLY a demand for this kind of content, so I am still baffled that Blizzard aren't capitalising on this kind of thing.
I don't think it's about the demand. If people play on the legacy servers there are less people buying expansions and from a personal opinion, people might realize that a lot of improvements that they made over time aren't that good.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
That's such a shame. I would play the hell out of that version of WoW, I've lost all interest in modern wow.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Like with Nintendo, why even try at this point? They are obviously hostile to anything fan-made using their IP.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Not shocking at all, considering how much attention this server was getting from gaming sites. When 10 different sites have the headline "LOOK AT THIS COOL ILLEGAL THING", of course it gets shut down.

And it's funny, because these same news sites are often bemoaning Blizzard for shutting down the servers, when Blizz has proven to not care as long as people don't draw too much attention to the server. I've been playing on the same fully-scripted private server for years now, and it's fine because it doesn't make headlines.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Scytail said:
Like with Nintendo, why even try at this point? They are obviously hostile to anything fan-made using their IP.
Different scenarios. Stuff like AM2R was made from the ground up, but still canceled. Legacy servers are effectively pirated versions of WoW since the same code is used.

Blizzard's usually quite tolerant of fan material - StarCraft Universe was allowed to be made under the proviso that it was renamed as such from StarCraft Online, and it's allowed remakes of SC1 and D2 to be made in the SC2 game engine for instance.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Just gonna pile on and say current World of Warcraft is nothing like the old. There are lots of improvements made, but almost as much flavor lost.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Mike Fang said:
Mmyep, much like Nintendo, Blizzard seems to have a hatred of fan-made content.
That isnt fan made though, blizzard made it, and people used their code, art asserts, and whathaveyou. Blizzard loves people's fan art, songs, comics, and whatnot, but this isnt that. This is actively using asserts that blizzard owns without permission.

I would love to see legacy servers, but it has to be legit, or there is a very real chance that it will just be shut down immediately, just like in this case.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Would it not be easier for Blizzard to just rip off Everquest's progression servers? Not like they didn't already take every other concept that wasn't nailed down.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
I'm still baffled that people crave the sensation of waiting to find parties to do AQ40 and get newbie characters ganked when they get near Tarren Mill/Southshore. Go fig.