The North/South divide?

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
DeanoTheGod said:
GiglameshSoulEater said:
We northerners speak proper english, not your 'baaarrrth' as you lot say.
I moved south though and the constant immersion of bad english is corrupting my accent.

Try it yourself, make fun of the northerners for anything you can! The fish and chips banter is always good for a laugh. Traditional chips in the south have salt and vinegar, where as up north they go for gravy (Or mushy peas in Yorkshire!) Try and be creative and hint at this! The amount of joke arguments about this I have had is astonishing, but always good for a giggle...!

Happy bantering... And don't let the side down!
gravy and....chips?! what madness is this?!

Daeric

Oct 27, 2011
It does seem like us Northerners do just like getting into arguements. Just look at us heroic Yorkshiremen :)p) and those rotten scoundrals from Lancashire!, argueing about the fallout of a war based on two houses that had very little to do with the two counties that have adopted them.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Palademon said:
Malty Milk Whistle said:
Palademon said:
I think I remember something about geography saying there's usually a divide on rich and poor with North and South in most countries.

I'm not actually sure what kind of point the insult "ponce" refers to.

I have talked to some Northerners, and I always find this divide that English Northerners say they speak the real English and may have a superiority complex, seems rather stupid considering the capital and the monarch is in the South.
heh, i think thats why it is :L but where are you from? and ive never heard anyone near me speak down about northeners, its strange :S
I'm in the south east of England.
I don't speak down to northerners, and my post meant to imply them spekaing down to southerners.

sorry, didn't mean to imply that, i was just saying that i have never heard of this before, and was looking to the level headed escapees to explain it all :)

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
I'm from Scotland, I'm North of The North and you're both South of me. How do you think I feel? (Ya rotten English bastards.)*
*Note sarcasm

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Daeric said:
It does seem like us Northerners do just like getting into arguements. Just look at us heroic Yorkshiremen :)p) and those rotten scoundrals from Lancashire!, argueing about the fallout of a war based on two houses that had very little to do with the two counties that have adopted them.
Yea that divide is definatly still around what with those drunk yorkshiremen and us hard working lancastirians ;)

Daeric

Oct 27, 2011
We earned the right to be drunk through, all those long shifts working down the mines eating hot gravel off the roads.

On gravy on chips, its done but I've only really seen it happen when we've had something like Brasing Steak with gravy and then you may as well just put the stuff all over.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Daeric said:
We earned the right to be drunk through, all those long shifts working down the mines eating hot gravel off the roads.

On gravy on chips, its done but I've only really seen it happen when we've had something like Brasing Steak with gravy and then you may as well just put the stuff all over.
Well then i guess that all northerners deserve to be drunks since lancaster has its share of iron and coal mines as well

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Combustion Kevin said:
the dutch watch from overseas.
we are amused.

we cry a little on the inside too, knowing we still have so many more ethnic groups to gripe at before we turn on ourselves. :(
yeah our northies and are southies gang up on our foreign-ies XD.
but there are some differences, we just dont fuss so much about them.
northerners are more level headed, a bit slower, usually a bit less pantsy and more direct.
while the southerners are more open, a tad faster, but also RUSH RUSH RUSH and call each other nasty words for no reason what so ever.
you could say they are a bit more emotional?

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I'm in South Wales, honestly, I've never had a problem with the North/South divide.

It's good here anyway, close to the main city, and everything else.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
nicole1207 said:
Puddleknock said:
The north/south divide really can be quite divisive, I've seen full blown arugments over it which is quite silly. Many people in England can't just be happy being proud of where they are from but have to denounce where other English people are from, it can be quite sad really.

Though I can often get away with being in the north as even though I have a southern accent I have a south west accent so I'm more likely to be laughed at than anything else (unless someone really hates farmers).
One of the better accents in my opinion!

The only thing 2 differences I have noticed since move 'north' (anything above Oxford according to the rest of my family) is the way they say (for example) "grass" etc and that it is actually noticeabley colder.
Reading your post leads me to think about where exactly the north south divide actually is. To you its anything north of Oxford is 'north', to me its anything north of Birmingham, my London friends say anything north of Watford and when I was at uni it was anything north of Southampton!!!

I don't think there is an exact line that divides the north and south unless any one knows any better.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
There's superiority on both sides of the mason-dixon line. Those inbred pig-screwing mountain hicks respectable and completely equal and normal citizens in West Virginia Home of ten thousand families and only four last names like to think they're better than us up here in the great and powerful Pittsburgh, but really, we're just the same people*. And especially with how technology is spreading and equaling out while people continue to move to and fro, the differences are very few. Its just the civil war created an image that hasnt been erased and set something of a stereotype.

Really its more of an east/west thing in the states now I would think. and I have nothing to back that up

*Disclaimer: thats just a little Pitt/WVU rivalry humour, please dont take it seriously.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Well I don't know about Britain but there is a north south divide in America. Though ours is due to our Civil War being between North and South states. Here its the north thinks its smarter than the south while the south thinks they are more self reliable than the north.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
In America prior to the Civil War, the states that allowed slvery were in the South, and the states that outlawed slavery were in the North. The dividing live was called the Mason-Dixen line, and was on the Maryland-Pennsylvania boarder. that's really the only divide that I can think of for my country. And I also know that even though the Civil War ended in 1865, it's still of a hot button issue in the South. Remember General Sherman? Yeah, don't mention him south of Pennsylvania unless you feel like getting yelled at. Georgia is still particularly pissed at him.

Adiona

Mistress of Evil
Mar 25, 2008
I'm a northern gal, I used to live about a hour from Newcastle and 45mins from Durham. Closest 'town' was Darlington. I have only been south once and that was to London, I hated it but mainly because I hate big towns/cities I found people not as helpful or polite was up here in the north. I currently live in a town called Huddersfield now, gosh that yorkshire accent is now starting to creep into my north eastern one.

Anyways the north/south divide is silly we all live in the same country but some people will argue over anything.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Hmmm. This doesn't happen in Scotland. Our hatred is solely channelled towards the English...
Which, I suppose technically, is North and South..

(I say this in jest of course.)

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
FamoFunk said:
I'm in South Wales, honestly, I've never had a problem with the North/South divide.

Wales....City.....awkward...

I kid, I kid :p

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Eh, there's always going to be some kind of derogatory stereotypes pertaining to where you live. For instance, I'm from Somerset and apparently we're all supposed to be unintelligible, troglodytic farmers who all sound like this:

Actually as for the accents I've encountered where I grew up, about only half or so had the atypical farmer boi accent and the other half just sound like me; a rather indistinct generic English accent, with some of them having a bit of an accent cropping up on inflections of certain words. Anyway, I've never been up north for any prolonged period of time so I can't really make any kind of vindicated judgements about what it's like up there, but I'm betting a lot of people will simply have a predilection for what they are used to.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Lethos said:
FamoFunk said:

Wales....City.....awkward...

I kid, I kid :p
I'm off to cry into my cup of tea now ;_;

Come to the Welsh side, where the Men are Men and the sheep are scared :D

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
harmonic said:
This is really fascinating. As a history nerd, I'd love to learn more about why the UK is set up like this. Does it have to do with the North's proximity to Scotland? I've been told that I would be looked down upon in England because I have red hair, due to it being "Scottish looking" despite the fact that I have absolutely no Scottish lineage.

Anyway, most countries have a geographically-bound disparity in sophistication. Notables:

-USA: The deep south. Generally follows the former Confederacy, with exceptions. Texas and Florida, as well as certain metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Richmand VA area, are prosperous, but states like Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi are the poorest states in America. The West coast, New England, and the upper Midwest are the most prosperous US states.

-Mexico: Huge disparity between North and South, with South being far more stable, prosperous, and educated.

-Italy: North is prosperous, South is less so.

-Korea: This is probably the absolute most dramatic example of rich South and poor North. The difference is STAGGERING, but this is kind of a cheat due to being different countries.
you'd get the mick taken because your ginger, but most English people don't view insults as very serious, not many people take them seriously, and no, it hasn't got much to do with Scotland really :)