The Official Trailer to Ilumination's Grinch...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
First question, should I have made another thread about this or bumped my old thread because I feel this being the Official Trailer and not some olympic promotion commericial warrents its own thread unless you tell me otherwise, anyway on to the movie:

...I can't tell whether this is even gonna follow the plot of Dr. Seuss' book at all or a different take entirely.

And jeez Cumberbatch I didn't know your voice can go that high pitched, but your grunts and growls sounds too low, like your voice acting of the Grinch feels so inconsistant it threw me off.

Also that first sting of this movie being all "modernized" is hearing that "Because I'm Happy" song. And even the Grinch deep down was like "Damn it Illumination"

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
Impressive I get the impression that this is going to make me look back more kindly on the Jim Carrie Grinch movie.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I like "Happy" a lot, but here I just found it pretty eyeroll inducing. I'm not that excited for this film honestly since Illumination makes genuinely mediocre at best films.

I mean I enjoy the first two Despicable Me films, but the rest? Sing was alright I guess, Secret Life of Pets was a lackluster ripoff of Toy Story, Minions was pretty mediocre, Despicable Me 3 was whatever and speaking of Dr. Seuss, their adaptation of The Lorax was just awful.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I can't say I'm looking forward for this movie. That's all.

Damn! Now I'm going to have Happy in my head for the rest of the day! DAMN YOU, ILLUMINATION!!!

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
The animation looks pretty well done.

Making the Grinch put on his body fur coloured pants makes me wonder if they did it for a visual gag or because they felt they needed to show he was wearing clothes...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Why does the Grinch's living space look so colorful and inviting when he's supposed to be this guy who's hateful and unkind?

Oh well, more flavorless animated paste to keep the kiddies quiet on those long drives.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Honestly, the trailer is meh, but it could be interesting just to see what direction they take it. It's obvious that this Grinch isn't a loner who hates everyone so much that he lives alone; he's just the neighborhood jerk who doesn't like people, but is still willing to put up with them (and prank them, according to the Trailer), which could be interesting. They're also doing some interesting stuff with Cindy Lou-Who, which might be even more interesting.

But yeah, Illumination is just the most meh-est animation studio at this point. Their Movies are so meh, they suck (and some outright suck), and that fact really makes me sad that they were the studio to get the Mario Movie.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Saw that first clock gag coming a mile off. Same old Illumination.

And I do mean OLD.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Why does the Grinch's living space look so colorful and inviting when he's supposed to be this guy who's hateful and unkind?

Oh well, more flavorless animated paste to keep the kiddies quiet on those long drives.
Thats what I kinda thought too, when I saw the Grinch's living condition I thought "Hmm this looks like a nice place" it feels so eerie to see him living in a nice location.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PapaGreg096 said:
Casual Shinji said:

Thats what I kinda thought too, when I saw the Grinch's living condition I thought "Hmm this looks like a nice place" it feels so eerie to see him living in a nice location.
Well, the design of the Grinch himself looks inviting. Everything looks nice and cuddly and unconfrontational; That's the era of western animation we're living in. Thanks Pixar. Remember the old cartoon Grinch? He looked like a creepy scumbag.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I actually like the feel of this better than the Jim Carry movie. Although I will agree with Casual Shinji that his living space looking far too bright and colourful. However it's hard to say from this trailer how closely they'll follow the original story or if they'll completely botch it up like they apparently did with The Lorax (And also like the Jim Carry movie).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Casual Shinji said:

Well, the design of the Grinch himself looks inviting. Everything looks nice and cuddly and unconfrontational; That's the era of western animation we're living in. Thanks Pixar. Remember the old cartoon Grinch? He looked like a creepy scumbag.
Case in point:

"EeeeeYeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss..."

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
Remember the old cartoon Grinch? He looked like a creepy scumbag.
Yeah, but did that match the book? IIRC, book!Grinch was grumpy, but could still smile when he had to (e.g. when the girl caught him taking the tree, and he claimed to be Santa taking it for repairs). In the book, I don't recall him ever being creepy.

At the least, Illumination's take seems to be closer to the original version.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
Remember the old cartoon Grinch? He looked like a creepy scumbag.
Yeah, but did that match the book? IIRC, book!Grinch was grumpy, but could still smile when he had to (e.g. when the girl caught him taking the tree, and he claimed to be Santa taking it for repairs). In the book, I don't recall him ever being creepy.

At the least, Illumination's take seems to be closer to the original version.
It's more a criticism against current western animation, where seemingly everything needs to have that generic, hugable Pixar look. I now a lot of these movies are actually quite good, but visually it just looks so stale.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
It really doesn't help that you figure out the joke in every scene basically as soon as it's introduced. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they'd have even used the ol' whoopee cushion trick with "comedy" that bland.
Having said that, it's not like Illumination can't take the idea of "guy is hilariously a complete dick, but overtime warms up and shows a gentler side", that's basically the plot of Despicable Me (minus the god awful minions, which I hold no hope of their being no surrogates in this film).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
TrulyBritish said:
It really doesn't help that you figure out the joke in every scene basically as soon as it's introduced. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they'd have even used the ol' whoopee cushion trick with "comedy" that bland.
Having said that, it's not like Illumination can't take the idea of "guy is hilariously a complete dick, but overtime warms up and shows a gentler side", that's basically the plot of Despicable Me (minus the god awful minions, which I hold no hope of their being no surrogates in this film).
"Oh! But kids don't know those jokes; so they find them hilarious!" - Devil's advocate

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'll wait for reviews.

The trailer didn't put me off, but it didn't exactly set my world on fire, either.

Nor do I reflexively hate Minions (though I hated Minions).

And yet... I kind of feel that Benedict Cumberbatch is not exactly hurting for work right now. Maybe, just maybe, they pitched him what he thought was a really amazing script.

...Or maybe they just offered him more money than God and he said, "Eh, it's a kid's movie, who will remember in three years anyway."

So, as I say. Waiting for reviews.