The Old Republic Begins "High Population Server" Testing

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Comocat said:
It doesnt matter how big the servers are if every map isolates you from the rest of the server. When I played there might have been 200 people in the fleet hub, but maybe a dozen on a particular planet. I was pretty pumped to get to Ilium, only to find out sometimes I was the only person on the whole planet. The way they broke up the zones made them feel smaller (population wise) than they really were.
Since the server transfers that's much improved. I play, and rarely do I have any difficulty finding other players to group with or interact with.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I gotta say, this would have been better at the start of the game, it was extremely difficult to find people for heroics or instances, oh and there was never more than 120 people on any given planet. Really annoying.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Allthingsspectacular said:
Server merges!

The next step of a failure MMO.

N-N-N-Ninja Post!

They tried to beat an established market leader at it's own game. Well done EA, for failing so hard you've probably won a trophy somewhere.

I guess they don't watch extra credits.

Anarchy Online is a better sci-fi MMO and it runs on DX 7.

Alex Mac

Jul 5, 2011
SaintlyTurkey said:
Are there enough people playing the game to warrant this?
Yes, and that number will increase once the FTP option is implemented. Which is why they are doing this.

Crazy Zaul said:
Wow, Daniel Erikson's super server really is happening. Even after he no longer works there.
He still works there. Your journalistic skills need some work, Jimmy Olsen.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
I gotta say, this would have been better at the start of the game, it was extremely difficult to find people for heroics or instances, oh and there was never more than 120 people on any given planet. Really annoying.

I agree..

Had they had this, worthwhile PVP, and any shred of endgame they would be doing much better than they are.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Devoneaux said:
tmande2nd said:
Honestly...it does not matter.

The game was interesting but I have no intention of going back.
I loved playing a Trooper or a Bounty Hunter.

But really besides the story its nothing new.
End game is so FREAKING boring.

Early on they had it right, combat was FUN and exciting.
Later on every enemy was just taking forever to down.

Before anyone says "dont know how to play" I KNOW how to build a DPS build. Late game was NOT fun.
That's an issue with coefficients really. I'd say the bigger flaw is making companions more or less mandatory rather than a choice.

I don't know about you, but my Sith dude should NOT need help to tear apart lesser enemies, which is actally kinda strange considering how borderline useless companions are by the end of the game. Shit takes forever to kill, companions and to a lesser extent, the player can't take three shots before being severely injured, and the flow just has a major breakdown. In the earlier more fun levels, you can jump from group to group ripping things apart before having some downtime maybe every seven minutes or so, but by the end of the game, even just Strong enemies leave you needing to rest up after each and every single fucking one. Imagine if in your favorite shooter, you had to stop fighting after every. single. solitary. encounter. to spend six seconds healing up before moving on.
Very true really.

Early game was EPIC because you were mowing down baddies.
They just...really dropped the ball.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
I liked how this article was fucking blanketed in Guild Wars 2 ads for me.

Just waiting for the game to go free-to-play before I blaze through all the story content. Shame they didn't just make KotOR 3. I'd have actually paid for that, and I wouldn't have all the stupid MMO side-quest crap to deal with at the same time.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I like this game i was even going to resub at one point when the words f2p came out officially, which just stopped me dead, was no point anymore waiting for a few patches for the content i wanted, was no use hoping that people would come back in droves with the new patches, since 90%ish of people would just wait for it to go f2p anyway, just see how bad they can f up the f2p end of the game and give it a look then.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Comocat said:
It doesnt matter how big the servers are if every map isolates you from the rest of the server. When I played there might have been 200 people in the fleet hub, but maybe a dozen on a particular planet. I was pretty pumped to get to Ilium, only to find out sometimes I was the only person on the whole planet. The way they broke up the zones made them feel smaller (population wise) than they really were.
this a thousqand times this. Its one of the only majkor complaints i have about guild wars 2 as well. I don't understand why its so hard for developers to grasp that an mmo needs to feel connected and persistant, constant loading screens ruin that. Wow was able to build a world with only 1 loading screen in the entirety of the overworld 10 years ago. I don't understand why game companies can't do that now. Well thats not true. I do understand it just makes me very sad. A world built of several dozen instanced zones is far cheaper to run on a server than a single/few multi-zone continents.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
walrusaurus said:
Comocat said:
this a thousqand times this. Its one of the only majkor complaints i have about guild wars 2 as well. I don't understand why its so hard for developers to grasp that an mmo needs to feel connected and persistant, constant loading screens ruin that. Wow was able to build a world with only 1 loading screen in the entirety of the overworld 10 years ago. I don't understand why game companies can't do that now. Well thats not true. I do understand it just makes me very sad. A world built of several dozen instanced zones is far cheaper to run on a server than a single/few multi-zone continents.
Anet does it to keep costs down for the server overhead pure and simple, instancing people across multiple servers is simply the easiest way.

Most old school MMOs were open world, even the dungeons were not instanced in my first mmo, you had to portal in but if there was an event going on there could be hundreds in a single dungeon camping the same spot. Great for immersion but horrible if you were trying to play on a work night or had some kinda life to live :p.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
They did server merges already. Lots of them. It was good. Anytime MMO players are given the opportunity to interact it's a good thing.

Unfortunately no server population can fix the issues that come from having pushed out an utterly generic game.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
A tad late to be doing this.

I enjoyed the game, until I got to the end game. There wasn't any, and the servers couldn't even handle 30vs30 fights.

Such a pity, it had so much potential.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Skyy High said:
Allthingsspectacular said:
Server merges!

The next step of a failure MMO.
That's....that's what this is, right? Server merges, with a nice coat of PR on top?
yeah it is, does that mean it's a bad thing? they made the huge mistake to open way way WAY too many servers at the start and now have to consolidate resources.

server merges does not mean a game is dying.

cause you know, world of warcraft is doing crossrealm zones now, meaning you see people from other servers on your own server in low pop zones. it is like ... you know, merging ... server ... parts of it. their tech is just better but noone starts yelling WoW is dying !!! (well actually they have been yelling that for 6 years)