The Old Republic Gets Launch Day Achievements

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
manythings said:
KarlMonster said:
How so? By there being an actual Revan? And the Exile was pretty fucked up before hand since BioWare had to salvage the bullshit that was KotOR 2's story.
Hey, blame LucasArts for that. Quite honestly, KOTOR 2 would have been one of the best sequels ever had Obsidian been given the time to polish the game. Instead, it was left 70% or so completed because they wanted it out by Christmas, and they weren't able to meet the deadline.

Feb 13, 2008
Ser Imp said:
Not sure about the others but honestly this a MMORPG: What type of universe format did you expect?
Not an end of level boss monster. As I said, that was SO 90s.

manythings said:
She defeats fat, old, stoned Jabba right after abandoning the rebellion she's meant to be leading to go on a quest to save her boyfriend.
Yeah, Lucas and Spielberg have very "Milleresque" dealings with women.
Hoth? AT-AT's. Dagobah? Luke fights the demons that haunt his own mind. Alderaan? Destroyed three thousand years after TOR. Dantooine? When do we see it at all before now? Bespin? Darth VADER.
We were talking about the original series.

And climatic events are WAY different to Boss Monsters.

Hoth's main battle is Han's. Dagobah is Yoda's. Alderaan/Dantooine is Tarkin's.

What none of them had to do is fight off an oversized Jabba floating on a hover pad like in the SNES version.

Tattooine's "boss monster" was a smuggling job, then a botched commando raid, and finally a climatic battle against impossible odds.

The only "boss" was, as was said, a fat stoned Jabba getting garroted by his own greed.

Not Star Bowser carrying the launch codes.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Gidgetimer said:
Coreless said:
The difference between how World of Warcraft was in vanilla and how it quickly deteriorated by the introduction of the achievement system in Burning Crusade along side addons like gear score was astronomical.
Sorry to be a bit OCD and I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for being a "Blizzard Fanboi". But Achievements weren't introduced until "Wrath of the Lich King" and Gearscore was usually used to determine if someone were missing gems or enchants or wearing a piece that was useless for their spec. I do however agree with the sentiment that achievements should not be used to determine if you bring someone with you to a raid parsers and gear analysis addons will be abused by those that want carried and used to spot and help correct problems by actual good players.
Actually achievements were introduced at the very end of Burning Crusade before the Wrath expansion actually hit, I remember the day it was launched because everyone was going nuts over the fact that they didn't get credit for raids that they had completed. It was I believe October 14, 2008 weeks before Wrath, in patch 3.0.2. Gearscore started in the beginning of Wrath as well, but it didn't actually start becoming more adopted by the masses until about the time when Naxx was on its last month and Ulduar was starting. There were sites in the Burning Crusade days for maxmizing dps and datamining what gear and talents were thought to be best but it wasn't until someone actually created an addon that with one click pre-determined the "worth" of the gear that it started getting used and abused.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
therandombear said:
So not a big fan of MMO achievements.
I still think Warhammer's achievements were the best.

I mean... you got the awesome title "Auuuuuuuugggggggh" for falling to your death 20 times.

It rewarded player for just doing dumb shit and enjoying themselves.

Feb 13, 2008
animehermit said:
Games are still using bosses by the way, especially RPGs, and not just MMOs either. Deus Ex 3 had bosses, as well as games like The Witcher 2. Not to mention, the games this is based on, KOTOR 1/2 BOTH had bosses.
Wow, and no-one complained about Deus Ex bosses at all. Oh wait...
he's not a monster, he's a human being. There's a reason he's there, there's a reason you kill him.
You seem to have missed the definition of boss-monster.
Honestly, if your gonna complain about RPG conventions in Star Wars, your about 7 years too late there buddy.
Son, I was complaining about Star Wars while you were still in nappies. ;)

Sep 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Ser Imp said:
Not sure about the others but honestly this a MMORPG: What type of universe format did you expect?
Not an end of level boss monster. As I said, that was SO 90s.

manythings said:
She defeats fat, old, stoned Jabba right after abandoning the rebellion she's meant to be leading to go on a quest to save her boyfriend.
Yeah, Lucas and Spielberg have very "Milleresque" dealings with women.
Hoth? AT-AT's. Dagobah? Luke fights the demons that haunt his own mind. Alderaan? Destroyed three thousand years after TOR. Dantooine? When do we see it at all before now? Bespin? Darth VADER.
We were talking about the original series.

And climatic events are WAY different to Boss Monsters.

Hoth's main battle is Han's. Dagobah is Yoda's. Alderaan/Dantooine is Tarkin's.

What none of them had to do is fight off an oversized Jabba floating on a hover pad like in the SNES version.

Tattooine's "boss monster" was a smuggling job, then a botched commando raid, and finally a climatic battle against impossible odds.

The only "boss" was, as was said, a fat stoned Jabba getting garroted by his own greed.

Not Star Bowser carrying the launch codes.

wait wait wait wait...

you hate end of level big bosses?

i absolutely love them to bits, anytime i hear a game has one i instantly get a tingle of excitement, i hate having just wave after waves of baddies or not having to try out a new weapon or something on a bigger badder boss.

partially the reason why i love going back to play kingdom hearts all the time, the bosses were amazing.

Feb 13, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
wait wait wait wait...

Hate is far too strong a word. I just think that facing off against a flesh glacier at the end of every level is a very lazy way to design a game. As does someone else. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9115-Extra-Punctuation-What-Human-Revolution-Got-Wrong]

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
" Achievement FAILED:
Clean launch without wasting resources on non-critical systems;
( + 7,000 subscriber points. )

like my achievement system Br00 ?!"

that's all I see when a company announces achievements

modern society is changing the meaning of the word 'achievement' to essentially mean
'task completed' or 'we wanted that to feel epic, the achievement pr00ves it.'

an actual achievement in a video-game would be:

finishing Mario with 700 score

besting a whole heroic dungeon in Warcraft with only a weapon equipped

finishing the star-craft campaign without building any vehicles or marines
( assuming the game would allow this. )

examples of not an achievement, same games, same order:

completing the game

'achieving' the mighty stature, that is level 10

collecting 1234567898765432 resources.

the problem is so many like that exist

the best achievement that was ever in wow, in my opinion was 'the insane' title
that required a bazillion hours of grinding on multiple chars ( if you weren't a rogue )
that was an actual achievement, it required game knowledge, time
and a psychopathic level of commitment

the worst was a 'feat of strength' that requires you to sit around in a random zone and hope death-wing breathes on you
that's a good example of idiocy ruining the value of feats of strength

EasySt17

Dec 18, 2009
Awesome...so the "being a sucker for being the first to buy a new MMO" achievement will ship with the game...great news...

Sep 14, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
wait wait wait wait...

Hate is far too strong a word. I just think that facing off against a flesh glacier at the end of every level is a very lazy way to design a game. As does someone else. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9115-Extra-Punctuation-What-Human-Revolution-Got-Wrong]
i wouldn't say EVERY level, but most huge check points i don't mind a big boss at all.

and seeing as how you quote croshaw, and how much my opinions defer from his, nor do i find his reviews funny at all, that would probably explain why i don't agree with you either.

personally that was my favorite part of the force unleashed, was facing off against those super jedi/force users, then getting to see the sweet cutscene/QTE where you bash the living piss out of them with the force. but i guess you like short realistic bosses...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
animehermit said:
Games are still using bosses by the way, especially RPGs, and not just MMOs either. Deus Ex 3 had bosses, as well as games like The Witcher 2. Not to mention, the games this is based on, KOTOR 1/2 BOTH had bosses.
To be fair, I don't actually know of anyone who complained about the boss fights for being boss fights. Just that there was no method of beating them other than 'Shotgun to the face x1000 times.'

Feb 13, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
animehermit said:
To be fair, I don't actually know of anyone who complained about the boss fights for being boss fights. Just that there was no method of beating them other than 'Shotgun to the face x1000 times.'
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make. If you're in an MMO that relies on DPS Bosses ("Flesh Glaciers") then that's a shitty way to make a game. And was removed because of that.

gmaverick019 said:
but i guess you like short realistic bosses...
And guessing is what's making this reel out. I already said what I prefer, which is climatic events.

Maybe it's a crafting puzzle, maybe it's a poker game, maybe it's reaching a certain level, but sitting in front of a screen for two hours listening to this:
is not my idea of fun.

Whether it's Hamidon, Bertoxxulous or Onyxia, it's still dull as dishwater.