The Old Republic Is Looking a Bit Smoother

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Old Republic Is Looking a Bit Smoother

An upcoming patch for Star Wars: The Old Republic will add new content, fix a few bugs and enable anti-aliasing.

Like a lot of you, I was bit put out when I fired up my copy of The Old Republic only to find I'd have to do some surreptitious .ini editing to enable anti-aliasing. Let's be honest: TOR isn't the prettiest of games to begin with, and its meagre visuals aren't improved by jagged edges that give the impression you're watching the game from the other side of a wire fence. Fortunately the next patch, which was released onto the unsuspecting denizens of the public test server earlier today, enables anti-aliasing via the in-game menu.

PVP has been adjusted, as well. Level 50 players now get their own, exclusive, warzone bracket. Fear not, however, level 49 players will still be available to murder you horribly.

The patch also addresses a few niggling issues with the games companions. Companion droids will no longer spout the same line of dialogue every two or three seconds during combat, they'll sell your stuff when you tell them to and the visual effects from their healing abilities are no longer permanent.

The patch notes can be found here [http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1276185]. Now all we need is fix for the minuscule Jedi-pixies [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzyPcjGZ5yA] that seem to have infested Tython.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I reported that mini Jedi bug during the beta. Silly wotsits ignored me.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
It isn't just Jedi that get minified. I have a Trooper and my companion, when he was first introduced, was mini. How is this still going on as a problem?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I vote that we end up keeping mini-jedis in the long run. It would make the game far superior.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Wait, are you fucking serious? They launched a PC exclusive title without Anti-Aliasing? A you fucking serious?

Duffy13

May 18, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
Could someone explain to me what Anti-Aliasing is and why it's so important?
It fixes artifacts (typically seen as jagged edges) that result from displaying higher resolution assets at a lower resolution. Pending the resolutions you play at the problem is much more apparent. For example at 1920x1200 I found it to be glaringly annoying, with my new monitor at 2560x1440 I generally can't see any obvious artifacts.

For widespread compatibility, it's important; but pending the resolution and aspect ratio you play at, it's entirely possible you might not notice it as much. All depends on your particular point of view.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Duffy13 said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
It fixes artifacts (typically seen as jagged edges) that result from displaying higher resolution assets at a lower resolution. Pending the resolutions you play at the problem is much more apparent. For example at 1920x1200 I found it to be glaringly annoying, with my new monitor at 2560x1440 I generally can't see any obvious artifacts.

For widespread compatibility, it's important; but pending the resolution and aspect ratio you play at, it's entirely possible you might not notice it as much. All depends on your particular point of view.
Huh. Thank you for informing me.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
Anti Aliasing is a way to remove the jagged edges from textures. It can become very apparent on outlines and other details.

Consoles don't support AA, while it is one of the most common features in any PC game's options menu.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Duffy13 said:
Metalix Knightmare said:

Is that a sneaky Obi Wan reference I spy?

On topic, those tiny Jedi are absolutely hilarious. It's such a weird bug that if it happened to me in game I think there's a large chance I wouldn't realise it's a bug and just think that for some insane reason they wanted a Borrower-sized companion. (perhaps so Lucas can put "actual size" on the box of their inevitable action figures)

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
I play at 1440x900 and I haven't noticed any problems, but that may be a very poor resolution next to you guys and your triple display setups encrusted with diamonds and whatnot. Compared to WoW, TOR looks absolutely beautiful.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I hope they never fix mini Jedi.
Satele Shan deserves to be that adorable.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
No one messes with mini Jorgen. HE may be small but he still is badass.

Also is there any info on whether those stupid green walls of infinity will be fixed. Because seriously

screw those things.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
Judicious use of edge-blurring using medium colors.

http://www.snowbound.com/images/antialias.gif

EDIT: Derp I should read the thread before answering.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
I hope they leave the tiny Jedi in. I may well make another Jedi just to see it again. Makes me laugh every time.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
SWTOR isn't a good looking game? Really?

It's one of the best looking MMOs I have played. Eve Online is the only one I can think of that graphically looked better.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
PxDn Ninja said:
SWTOR isn't a good looking game? Really?

It's one of the best looking MMOs I have played. Eve Online is the only one I can think of that graphically looked better.
Need to agree with you there, with the possible exception of EVE, but c'mon...

MMO's need to have less than stellar graphics, otherwise it wouldn't run on a vast majority of computers, so it wouldn't be a massively multiplayer, it'd just be a multiplayer.

WoW for example, incredibly deep game, but the graphics are quite dire even on the highest settings. Which is why people download custom hi-res textures and better shading for it I guess.