The Old Republic Population Shrinking

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I HAVE played GW2, I was in the last beta weekend event
I had a question about GW2. How are regular enemies handled in GW2? I mean do the developers expect people to quest on their own and regular enemies can be killed easily by one person? Do they expect people to work together when they quest and make it so groups have to take down a regular enemy? What I mean by a regular enemy is a non-elite enemy

On Topic: Hopefully Bioware reveals information about the new update at E3.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
animehermit said:
To be honest it's only technically a retcon, and even then it's kinda debatable. Kreia from KOTOR2 mentions a lot of what happened to Revan, but a lot of that information she couldn't have really known to begin with.

I should also point out that Revan wasn't supposed to start the Civil War, he was supposed to use the Star Forge to build the Emperor a fleet. He attacked the republic either because he got power hungry or for the reasons you mentioned.
Fair, but there's also the point that just about everything Kreia said (especially the bits that could make the Jedi/Sith divide interesting and meaningful) were completely retconned in future works or Word of God from Lucas or whatever. That's not specifically TOR's fault, but it does share some of the blame.

Also, TOR retcon'd the Rakghoul into a Sith experiment/viral weapon, the culture and existence of Mandalorians and a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
animehermit said:
Bat Vader said:
I HAVE played GW2, I was in the last beta weekend event
I had a question about GW2. How are regular enemies handled in GW2? I mean do the developers expect people to quest on their own and regular enemies can be killed easily by one person? Do they expect people to work together when they quest and make it so groups have to take down a regular enemy? What I mean by a regular enemy is a non-elite enemy

On Topic: Hopefully Bioware reveals information about the new update at E3.
The balance is screwy right now, but the enemies are supposed to scale depending on how many people participate in the event. What was happening in the beta event though, was that people just roamed in packs of 50 completely murdering everything and it was no challenge at all. The game is no where near ready for launch as still has a ton of problems to work out before it is, but remain cautiously optimistic.
Thank You for the information. I am thinking about getting GW2 but I tend to quest alone and I was worried that the enemies would need groups to take them down. Thank You again for the information.

Valis88

Dec 16, 2008
Ya know what's really upsetting sometimes.

When you really love playing an MMO, and you know it's not perfect, but you love it for what it is, and you have fun.

Yet all of the General boards, of that very game, are people cheering for it's doom.

It's unsettling, and disquieting, to say the least.

Captcha 'foul smelling'...indeed

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
eh

I'm not surprised at all. i've pretty much stopped playing in favor of going back to City of Heroes.

ToR really only has the story going for it

but ....

none of them are that interesting.
the moral choice system is as worthless as almost every other moral choice system out there.
the combat is copy pasted from WoW

this is not how you make a game worth staying with!

the combat is lifeless, even for hoykey games, there's no 'weight' to the attacks, i mean i hit a guy with a rocket fired from my arm i expect something to happen ... like, get knocked on his ass, at least, (or if it dose i don't remember ether way)

mean while (since i brought it up) in CoH, i got an over hand, two fisted 'smash to the face' attack the with put just about any one on their asses. almost every god damn time. which is what i mean when i say 'attacks lack weight' nothing really reacts in a manner that feels believable. it's why combat gets boring.

the story's aren't interesting cause there's nothing really 'at stake' for the player, sure things are at stake, for OTHER people, but in the 1-30 content i saw, yeah, you got nothing personally invested other then 'that dood told you to'

again, back to CoH, level 1 to 7, you got, aliens leveling part of the city (the new tutorial) gangs using the chaos from that to make a move on Atlas Park (the heart of the city, and widely regarded as the safest place in the whole city) and even a move from the Archnos (the big bads) your stake in all this? its YOUR city, persumably, your home as well, and other peoples homes (cause ya know super hero stuff) then lemme see, at lvl 5 there's a 3 part arc where you make new friends, uncover an interdimenitional plot, and find out one of the new friends is a traitor, and ... were only at level 15 by the end of that.

see where i'm going here? CoH dose what ToR is trying to do and failing. make you a part of the world, by making you feel like you actually MATTER. now CoH might be a bad example, it's based on super hero related things, so naturally they're going to have more 'and only you can save the day' moments. but ... then why don't i, the player in ToR, which has heavily pushed its story as a big thing, and that you the player shape it, why do i feel like i'm just there, watching it happen instead of shaping it? like i do in the 8 year old MMO based on super heroes?

>.> wow that turned in to a big rant then i was intending ^^;;;

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
animehermit said:
Maybe, I have a feeling that's more LucasArts than Bioware, as they often control what constitutes canon. They did dictate that one specific playthrough of KOTOR1 was the official canon, when Bioware wanted to leave it so every version might be possible.

I don't see a Rakghoul retcon at all, AFAIK. From what I know of the mandolorians they haven't been either, I could be wrong, care to elaborate?
It may well have been Lucasarts doing it, I don't really know. I just know the end result.

Originally, the rakghoul plague was just a virus that somehow transformed sentients into rakghouls. It evolved on Taris and was just a natural part of its environment. In TOR, they seized on it and decided a Sith came up with it and released it on Taris as its initial test before never using it again for no apparent reason. Edit: Also, with the 1.1 and subsequent patches, they said that the rakghoul plague is apparently everywhere, when before it was specifically mentioned as being a Tarisian problem.

Also, Mandalorians were an actual species. A subset/evolution of human, most clearly demonstrated by the Fetts, but there's a few other places it's implied, if not explicitly stated in KOTOR 1/2. In TOR, they're a collection of every species deemed arbitrarily fit by some unspecified set of standards.

It's entirely possible that these weren't actually committed by TOR, but by some other piece of EU that I haven't seen, but they're certainly differences between KOTOR and TOR.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
After seeing this and some minor statistics surrounding it, I still fail to see, even from this new perspective of the death of the subscription-model, how Maplestory has nearly 10 times the playerbase than TOR. This does not bode well. Granting TOR doing well wouldn't necessarily bode well either seeing as it's the last big player of the MMO old guard, but still...

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
While I have lapsed accounts with a variety of MMOs, I tend to only pay for a subscription for one at a time. Currently, that is TOR. I was rather burned out on WoW and played TOR like mad. Though I haven't played TOR in a couple of weeks, I don't know that I'm going back to WoW. Maybe do a circuit of free MMOs... I think I played LotR Beta, haven't been back to CoH in ages, etc.

TL;DR Played WoW since vanilla, but burned out on it. TOR may not be the answer, but neither is returning to WoW.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Needs more endgame content, and no, pvp doesn't count. A few extra character slots would be nice, I mean only 8, Seriously? The Legacy gear is more of a money sink, not that impressive compared to just about everything else in the level range.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Valis88 said:
Sometimes, I think I'm the only gamer that genuinely loves SW:TOR. :-/
Not played it, not cheering it's doom, just pointing out things I think are relevant.

And, yeah, enjoying a bit of "Told you so" at all those people who told me that TOR would be the death of WoW.

Agayek said:
Also, Mandalorians were an actual species. A subset/evolution of human, most clearly demonstrated by the Fetts, but there's a few other places it's implied, if not explicitly stated in KOTOR 1/2. In TOR, they're a collection of every species deemed arbitrarily fit by some unspecified set of standards.
As I understand it, there are two types of Mandalorians. The original race is still canon. They were the main forces behind the Mandalorian Wars. The other races they captured along the way were eventually indoctrinated into Mandalorian culture (see: Mira, KotOR2) and considered themselves Mandalorians. The Mandalorian Wars crippled the original race's numbers though, and eventually the last of them died off leaving only their culture following after.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
I think honestly WoW has drained the value people get from the hotkey/non action based combat MMORPG. WoW has been doing it for so long that its elevated the bar to the point that new games can't really compete at launch using the same kind of mechanics. At the same time WoW is showing its age and people who are done with that game want something different in terms of mechanics and not just setting/story/lore.

People want new gameplay mechanics but i honestly think a lot of people do not want to sink more time building up that "investment" into a new MMO and are more likely to quit the sooner they feel the drag of grind or becoming bored because they can go back to grinding or being bored in WoW which they most likely have a lot more time and personal value invested into there characters.

Also games like LoL offer new gameplay mechanics without having to grind and can be enjoyed in short periods of time. Also you don't have that feeling of the game becoming a chore/job or that feeling that if you aren't playing every day that you are going to fall behind in getting gear, doing raids, earning your tokens, etc. With less time demands, it lets you also frees up more time to enjoy different games to keep things from getting stale.

ToR is too much of the WoW formula which has become tired and as soon as the "new MMO smell" wears off and you hit the grindy core that makes up most MMOs, people are not going to have the patience to sit through another similar game. ToR may stabilize its numbers and carve out its own niche but honestly i don't see any new "traditional" MMORPG ever getting numbers close to what WoW has.

Also WoW is definitely on the decline as people are getting burned out by the formula but its that investment that i feel keeps many people sticking to the game. Its either the feeling that "I invested too much to give up on my characters" or "I want to play a MMORPG and i have all of these characters so i might as well stick with WoW"

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Why does every MMO have to be WoW sized? Can't an MMO be okay with having a smaller fanbase? Machine architecture and infrastructure can change. SO long as they make their initial money back they can scale operations to the size of the market and still make some money. Why is it that if its not making butt-tons of money then everyone gets so negative?

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Valis88 said:
Ya know what's really upsetting sometimes.

When you really love playing an MMO, and you know it's not perfect, but you love it for what it is, and you have fun.

Yet all of the General boards, of that very game, are people cheering for it's doom.

It's unsettling, and disquieting, to say the least.

Captcha 'foul smelling'...indeed
It's pretty much beyond douchebaggery if you're basically hoping to see a project that people have worked on for over five years fail within a year. That you basically wish to see a team of over two hundred people out on the street all because you didn't like an MMO.

TOR isn't perfect, quite so. But I enjoy it for what it is, and it has a pretty good RP community.

That said, isn't it only natural for a new MMO to lose subs after launch? People buy it, try it out, note the bugs, and wait until some major content updates and bug fixes have occured before coming back. I'm not really sure why people keep on singling out TOR over this.