The olympics. Yay.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Feel my oodles of patriotic joy. Can you feel the oodles tonight? It's oodley. Even more so than the ood. I've got more joy oodles than an ood in an ood factory where the ood eat sushi and crap oodles. Oh joy. This country's shameful unemployment, severe chav infestation, and general lack of tasty but gloriously unhealthy american food products will all be solved by a load of people running and jumping. Sarcarstic impression of excitement, this one cannot wait for the olympics.

You get the drift. I hate the olympics. More so, I hate the fact that, because the olympics are in london this year, the entire country seems to be trying to force me to be excited.

DISCLAIMER: I know the entire country is not doing this personally. Use some damn common sense, or else I'll have to put a fucking disclaimer on every thing I say.

From my point of view, it's a load of people running and jumping, occasionally using sticks to jump over other sticks or over sand, because as we all know from childhood, THE SAND IS LAVA. Apparantly, it's inspirational, but for what? To become an expert runner and jumper? It's not a health message, because, well, what's more off-putting than trying to excercise and seeing a load of people who are miles better at it, and who probably laugh at your ineptitude with the other demi-gods when they return to mount olympus at the end of yet another day of running and jumping.

DIS-FUCKING-CLAIMER: I do not mean to insult athletes. They work incredibly hard to eventually become contradictions to how fast a human is supposed to go, and I respect that. I just don't know if it's worth such massive international focus. By the way, I also have no problem with feminism, furries, relgions/atheism, fanfiction writers, people who wear wigs, and people who hate bioware. There, I'm pretty sure I'm safe. I think.

The only thing worth watching might be seeing it all go wrong, which seems likely if you've had the massive amounts of exposure to constant updates on how badly the whole operation is going.

The point of the thread: What do you think of the olympics? Looking forward to it? Hate it? Don't care? Planning on sending a wacky robot to win the big race, dohoho, shenanigans?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Apathetic.

I hardly watch television anyway, and it'll certainly take a lot more than the Olympics to get me to do so again.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
You forgot to mention ponies and people who have an opinion on EA in your disclaimer.

I really don't care about them. Firstly because I'm Canadian and this is the summer olympics, so what the hell is my country going to win at? Our summer activities are drinking beer, camping and drinking beer, road construction, complaining about road construction while drinking beer, and visiting America and mocking their beer. Pretty sure none of those are olympic events.

Secondly because I'm not into sports. I think the Olympics are a great thing for athletes. It gives them the ultimate goal to strive for, and lets them compete at the highest level if they get in. But I'm about as interested as I am in any sporting event, very marginally. And all the fanfare and advertising and scandal and advertising and patriotic rhetoric and advertising get really annoying really fast if you aren't into the thing its all centered on.

I also still find it hilarious that McDonalds is a key supporter of the Olympics. "We, who make the food with the least possible value to fit and sporty people, support the biggest sports event in existence."

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I too am completely apathetic. Couldn't care less about them. I don't even know when they're supposed to start.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I think they're good for the country. (I'm english) They encourage tourism and certainly help get people interested in sports. Plus, if I don't want to watch them, I don't have to. The only real impact on my life that they've had has been one of my ICT GCSE projects being structured around them, including a visit to the -then unfinished- olympic park.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
I like them. They're fun to watch, I don't really get why you'd hate them, it's not that difficult to ignore it.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I couldn't give a flying fantastical fuck, even if the UK won...

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
The theoretical idea of various countries coming together in the spirit of healthy competition is something I can respect.

The reality of a bunch of countries coming together and waving their dicks at each other to determine who is best at sports is kinda deplorable. Especially since a lot of folks tend to use it was a convenient excuse to dredge up old nationalistic grievances.

MortifiedPenguin

Not So Despicable
Jun 8, 2012
Couldn't careless, I've never really cared about sports and it ruins any TV might want to watch on the BBC channels.

Alls it's really done is make a load of security barriers pop up here in cardiff, probably everywhere else as well. I mean what kinda of terrorist is going to stay to stay in the Hilton?

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
I don't give a shit about the Olympics but I get paid £9 an hour to work security for them so it's all good!

And before you ask, no I don't work for G4S.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Daystar Clarion said:
I couldn't give the tossiest toss about the Olympics.
Strange turn of expression... how is one 'toss' more 'tossy' than the next?!

Diddy_Mao said:
The reality of a bunch of countries coming together and waving their dicks at each other to determine who is best at sports is kinda deplorable. Especially since a lot of folks tend to use it was a convenient excuse to dredge up old nationalistic grievances.
See, that's not even the worst aspect of it. It's big corporation dick-waving that really fucks up the core concept of the Olympics. And no-one else can dick-wave back...

OT: Well, the Olympic Road Network is completely fucking with my job, the logo is horrid, the mascots as pretty as a pile of puke and half as lovable, and Seb Coe deserves a slap back to the 80's.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No offence to those who are into the Olympics but to me it's just another sports and I don't watch any sports in general.
Yes I know the Olympics is about being the best of the best and being competitive in a friendly way but I still ain't watching it.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Well, it's gonna be hell to travel round London, and it's made finding a house in the Olympic area really bloody hard.

However, I'm looking forward to the events I'm gonna see, and it's certainly made Stratford one hell of a load nicer.

EDIT: Also, whoever decided on that logo should be ashamed. It makes me laugh every time I look at it.
http://www.itemsofpotentialinterest.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/london2012-lisa1.jpg

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Actually genuinely excited for it, and that's surprised me. I do roll my eyes at the sponsors and some of the meaningless prose used, such as the 'shining a light into every corner of Britain' for the torch relay. (Also, what's with British Airways telling us not to fly? Do they not want money any more?) But yes, for the first time ever, I actually have a desire to watch the opening ceremony, and the prominence of Team GB in the lead-up to the Games makes this very exciting indeed. Seeing the torch (and getting to hold it briefly) was pretty darn cool.

I guess I just put a lot of significance in something that I've only ever seen in the distance as being right on my doorstep. I went through London two weeks ago, and seeing all the signs for the various venues made it hit me: The Olympic Games are coming here. To my country. Soon. It's... an odd feeling, and genuinely surprising to me. Didn't think I would appreciate it.

So, forgive me if I indulge in filtering out the dissenting voices for the next few weeks. We've had seven years of people pissing and moaning and saying "Can't we give it to the French?" That time is over. For now, I'd like to appreciate one of the world's most significant sporting events being held in my home country. Because that's awesome.

Also, my view may have been skewed slightly by getting tickets to beach volleyball on Saturday. I try to remain impartial, but have you seen some of those teams on the sand? Daaaaaaaaaamn.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
I'd probably enjoy it if I liked sports, but I don't, I'm not going to moan about it though because it hardly intrudes in anybody's life too much.

The only time I think it will have is when that damn Olympic torch went down my road at 6 am with a huge fucking float following with people shouting out of megaphones and blasting 'Love kickstarts again' by Example through my window after I'd just gotten back to sleep. That one did rustle my jimmies, but only because I'm pretty moody 10 minutes or so after being woken.

I mean, if I have to be woken up by deafening music due to this torch going by can it not be something that we as England can be proud of like The Who or The Beatles or something? Not overused pop trash from the last couple of years.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
GeneralTwinkle said:
I like them. They're fun to watch, I don't really get why you'd hate them, it's not that difficult to ignore it.
If I lived in a bubble, perhaps. I turn on the radio; Olympics. I turn on the tv: Olympics. I go to watch something online: adverts trying to get me excited about the olympics. Xbox: Fucking olympic avatar items being pushed to anyone whether they give a shit or not! Even some of my friends have said about the olympics, pretty much just because it's "here" this time. It seems like nobody is able to accept that I don't like sports during this period!

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I'll have to see when they actually start if I'm going to watch them or not, but I can say I would be more excited if they were the winter Olympics. I just find them much more fun to watch than the summer ones, though the fact that I'm a skier is probably a big part of this.