The Order: 1886 Review - All Out Of Steam

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
The Order: 1886 Review - All Out Of Steam

Whether it was a delayed release title or Ready at Dawn wasn't able to release their full vision, The Order: 1886 is next generation graphics wrapped around old gameplay.

Read Full Article

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This pretty much is exactly what I expected from the game. Many years in the future I'll pick it up to see the graphics and the world building, but not until the price drops through the floor. It'll be my Folklore or Heavenly Sword (but probably not as good)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The other option is that The Order: 1886 was supposed to be a release title, think along the lines of Ryse: Son of Rome. It was never going to be more than a glorified technical demo showing off the new hardware, but instead of coming out around the console release it got pushed back.
Truth.

Wasn't it originally announced as a launch title that then got delayed?

That's certainly what it looks like.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Hmm. Nope, still not getting this game.

Anyway, may I ask why exactly third person cover based shooting is a bad thing? It's something that people in the Escapist like to poke fun at. I don't know why, because when I play a game without cover mechanics, or something that compensates for the lack of a cover system, I get annoyed.

holyshaman

May 19, 2013
Bob_McMillan said:

Anyway, may I ask why exactly third person cover based shooting is a bad thing? It's something that people in the Escapist like to poke fun at. I don't know why, because when I play a game without cover mechanics, or something that compensates for the lack of a cover system, I get annoyed.
it could be because of the over use in recent shooting games

Gyron

Jul 15, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:

I think it's because it's an overused gameplay style that if nothing interesting is done with it, it feels bland compared to other games that use it as well.

StorkV

Sep 6, 2014
''Recommendation: It's still pretty and serviceable enough for a playthrough, but you're better off renting it or borrowing it from a friend for the weekend.''

Respect!

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I'll probably get this once it's in the 30-$40 range. I can appreciate the effort they put into making the game look good and I can see myself having fun with it; however I just can't justify spending $60 on a short game that doesn't seem to have a lot of replay value.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Bob_McMillan said:

As I mentioned in the review, it's not so much that it's bad off hand, but it's indicative of The Order's paint by number approach to gameplay. I think of something like Uncharted, it's coupled with many of the same gameplay elements, but it uses this simple framework to create these big set pieces that make it interesting beyond its individual peices. The lockpicking/hacking minigames present in The Order are perhaps the best counter-examples of this. Their presence serves no gameplay function, they just delay you 10-20 seconds every couple of minutes.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
holyshaman said:
Bob_McMillan said:

it could be because of the over use in recent shooting games
Really? What about all those first person shooters with sprint and aiming down the sights?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
But what other gameplay style could a third person shooter possibly have?
Vanquish, where the main character has a rocket suit that makes him fly across the battlefield in an instant and encourages run and gun tactics as though to infuse a bit of stylish action method like in Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Heck, there's a reason the funnest character class to use in Mass Effect 3 is the Vanguard since instead of hiding behind cover you're zipping across the battlefield like a caffeinated rocket of death.

In all honesty the best TPS' this gen have been ones that use cover-based shooting as a framework and then tear the concept to shreds in order to advance. Fact of the matter is that the concept is overdone and in need of either a major innovation or needs to be put to bed for awhile. Also doesn't help that games that center themselves around combat are getting pretty dull lately.

Anyway, sounds to me that this is another one to add to the pile. Like Titanfall, Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed Unity, Destiny, etc that came before it, 1886 is just another glorified tech demo made to pad out the fact that there still isn't a definitive reason to get a new-gen console. Seriously, if this is all that devs can do for the new generation than it's clear they have no clue to actually design anything are just wasting money and time on BS. Not exactly a great couple years for the current gen.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Pyrian said:
Why should a shooter be third person in the first place?
I'm guessing it's because cover-based shooters are relatively easy to do and in this case it's to give a more cinematic feel.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
This review is in dire need of some more hyphens and semi-colons. And at least one more plural 's'. Just hire a proof reader, yeah? I'm not doing anything.

Anyways, I abandoned console gaming at the turn of the newest generation, and this review has reinforced the sensation within me that I jumped, tucked and rolled from a speeding train just before it went smashing through a buffer stop and careening into a chasm.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, would you look at that, it's pretty much what I've been saying about the game for over a year now. While so many people were getting their undies in a knot over the frame rate with associated developer lies and, more recently, about the length of the game it turns out neither of those things really matter in the end. The Order fails because it's a stock standard third person shooter that leans too heavily on being "cinematic." Called it.