The Oregon shooting

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
I'm making this thread for serious discussions regarding the Oregon Shooting. This is intended to be a place for serious discussion about the tragedy and surrounding issues it brought with it.

My heart goes out to the victims of this, and I feel sorry for the people left behind.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/01/2015-274-days-294-mass-shootings-hundreds-dead/

Washington posts says the US has had more mass shootings (4+ injuries or deaths) than days this year.

Also, the maximum between mass shootings was 8 days, meaning that the argument that about right after a mass shooting is a bad time to talk about them isn't very useful.

Josh123914

Nov 17, 2009
thaluikhain said:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/01/2015-274-days-294-mass-shootings-hundreds-dead/

Washington posts says the US has had more mass shootings (4+ injuries or deaths) than days this year.

Also, the maximum between mass shootings was 8 days, meaning that the argument that about right after a mass shooting is a bad time to talk about them isn't very useful.
Is this on the rise?

What I mean is I don't recall this many shootings happening in 2014.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Josh123914 said:
thaluikhain said:

Is this on the rise?

What I mean is I don't recall this many shootings happening in 2014.
FBI said it was in 2014:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/24/justice/fbi-shooting-incidents-study/

Mind you, 4+ deaths of injuries involves...most of the time that wouldn't hit really hit the news. When people think of mass shootings, they'd probably imagine 10+ dead.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm against this sort of thing. Now, everybody are entitled to their opinions: I'm not denying that. But I firmly believe that mass shootings are a bad thing, and I don't care who disagrees with me.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-school-shooting-hero/

Before anyone mentions the man who took lives yesterday, I'd like to post a story on Chris Mintz, a man who saved them.

Please, do not post the shooter's name. From what sources have been able to find, that is exactly what that wretch would have wanted.

Personally, I've been struggling with what the appropriate reaction to a shooting is as a result of this. I never thought that an event so terrible would occur in my small community. Is it wrong to try and make a political statement afterwards in the name of preventing events like this? After all, if you honestly believe that this kind of act can be stopped, isn't it an insult to those who died to not try and make a difference? My standard method of using humor to deal with tragedy now seems strangely out of place.

To those of you who live in the Pacific Northwest, there is a major need for type O blood. Please donate if you are able.

EDIT- changed my link to an article which did not mention the gunman's name.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Queen Michael said:
I don't care who disagrees with me.
I think that would be 294 people who disagree with you. This year. So far.

Josh123914

Nov 17, 2009
Revnak said:
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/oregon-college-shooting/oregon-shooting-heroic-veteran-chris-mintz-was-shot-7-times-n437291

Before anyone mentions the man who took lives yesterday, I'd like to post a story on Chris Mintz, a man who saved them.

Please, do not post the shooter's name. From what sources have been able to find, that is exactly what that wretch would have wanted.

Personally, I've been struggling with what the appropriate reaction to a shooting is as a result of this. I never thought that an event so terrible would occur in my small community. Is it wrong to try and make a political statement afterwards in the name of preventing events like this? After all, if you honestly believe that this kind of act can be stopped, isn't it an insult to those who died to not try and make a difference? My standard method of using humor to deal with tragedy now seems strangely out of place.

To those of you who live in the Pacific Northwest, there is a major need for type O blood. Please donate if you are able.
Your comment is why this site would need a "Like" system.

Also last week I signed up to be a blood donor. O+. I live in Northern Ireland though so that's pretty shite though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Revnak said:
Second that, and that goes for more or less all of them. No name, no photos, especially not of him looking defiant and scary. It's often what they want, and it inspires more.

ScaredIndie

Guy who makes gamey things
Oct 21, 2014
The problem with discussing things like this is it is so politicized with both sides making different but at times in some ways overlapping claims.

Left:
    Guns
    Mental health

Right:
    Lack of religion
    Not enough guns
    Videogames
    Not enough police
    Minorities

Sadly both sides of the political spectrum seem to now agree on the videogame argument (to varying extents) but I personally think many of the others have more merit. Sadly all of these things are so politicized I don't know how to have a really discussion about them anymore. If I was to make any claim of where I personally think the issue lies it would be the prevalence of firearms and the lack of adequate mental health facilities combined with the stigma that surrounds mental health.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ScaredIndie said:
combined with the stigma that surrounds mental health.
Unfortunately, each incident like this, and the resulting calls to protect society from the mentally ill, rather than help the mentally ill members of society, really, really do not help.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
My sympathies to the victims and their family and friends in what is becoming an all too familiar tale.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, are we getting to a point where nearly every American now knows someone who's been in a mass shooting?

I guess they'll have a couple of people including the president give heartfelt speeches about how this is bad and how they're totally gonna do something about it. 'This time it's ENOUGH! *two weeks later* No, no, this time it's ENOUGH! Really!'

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Revnak said:

Yeah I'll double-down on the shout-out for Chris Mintz (not to be confused with Christopher Mintz-Plasse, whose most compelling contribution to society to date was his portrayal of McLovin in "Superbad").

Student and Army veteran. Charged the gunman, got shot five times, survived.

I remember reading about the Ecole Polytechnique Massacre, and how the guys who were ordered out of the room so the murder of the remaining women could begin were haunted by their inability to prevent what happened. We all like to think we'd charge down a gunman, but in reality most of us would just freeze up. Charging at someone while being shot in an attempt to prevent harm to others isn't just a heroic act, it's extraordinary.

ScaredIndie

Guy who makes gamey things
Oct 21, 2014
thaluikhain said:
ScaredIndie said:
combined with the stigma that surrounds mental health.
Unfortunately, each incident like this, and the resulting calls to protect society from the mentally ill, rather than help the mentally ill members of society, really, really do not help.
I think a lot of that response comes from the fact there is no simple solution to the mental health problem, each case can be dramatically different with different underlying issues causing someone to snap. This in turn further stigmatizes things and stops others from perusing help when they need it even in the cases where it is available.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Revnak said:

Yeah I'll double-down on the shout-out for Chris Mintz (not to be confused with Christopher Mintz-Plasse, whose most compelling contribution to society to date was his portrayal of McLovin in "Superbad").

I remember reading about the Ecole Polytechnique Massacre, and how the guys who were ordered out of the room so the murder of the remaining women could begin were haunted by their inability to prevent what happened. We all like to think we'd charge down a gunman, but in reality most of us would just freeze up. Charging at someone while being shot in an attempt to prevent harm to others isn't just a heroic act, it's extraordinary.
https://www.gofundme.com/s75ge9y4

There's a gofundme to pay for his medical bills. A man like him doesn't deserve to live in debt over this.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm O-. I'd donate, but I am on the literal opposite side of the country :(

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Revnak said:
There's a gofundme to pay for his medical bills. A man like him doesn't deserve to live in debt over this.
I see it's already at 600% of the requested funding. Good to see and not remotely surprising.

Josh123914

Nov 17, 2009
Revnak said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Revnak said:

https://www.gofundme.com/s75ge9y4

Would they really charge him? Because I distinctly remember with the Dark Knight movie shooting, the hospital waived the charges for people.