The Orville - Star Trek Fanfiction...with penis jokes.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So episode 2 was better than the first, if only 'cause it had 2 jokes in it. They weren't funny, not really, but they at least tried.

I'm still not sure what the Orville is. Its not a comedy show, at least not in the 'tell jokes' sense. It takes itself too serious to be funny, yet its too awkward and weird to be a serious show. Like they have comedic set-ups, but because its a light-hearted take on Star Trek, everyone just shrugs the comedy off as common place. It's a vaudeville era troop with no straight-man. Just Costello selling peanuts with no Abott to tell him to stop so they can start Who's On First.

The running gag for the episode is the Worf stand-in character laid an egg. And...that's awkward. See he's a big burly black man with a deep voice, and big burly black men with deep voices don't normally lay eggs. And I don't mean its awkward for us the watchers, its awkward in that the characters are a little awkward about him laying an egg...and that's it.

The second joke is that pot can be made in the replicators. Teehee? 4:20? L33t?

Oh and there's a bum.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Silentpony said:
So episode 2 was better than the first, if only 'cause it had 2 jokes in it. They weren't funny, not really, but they at least tried.

I'm still not sure what the Orville is.
Yeah I am kinda stuck on what it is meant to be as well. It's like Star Trek but with out any of the real serious purpose or command structure. The humour isn't silly enough to belly laugh but here's the thing it isn't clever enough to be witty either it's mostly just referential humour, oh look pot cakes can be made in our replicators, we gave them a huge amount of crappy 21st TV for their zoo.

The weird thing is the plots of the last two episodes hav actually been quite interesting, but the mix between daft commentary humour and humour that seems to be stuck in referencing 21st century happenings (to put that in context that's like us making jokes about the events of the 1500s) doesn't jell well with the attempts at making a serious point, in this case the whole learning what it means to be in charge.

I am done with the show yet, it's certainly worth a few more episodes just to see if it's finding its feet and to see if there is a greater over arcing universe going on in the background, they did mention the Kriel in this episode, which I believe are the bad guys from the last episode.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
Well, the interviews have said that they're aiming for something akin to MASH - a "dramedy" in the science fiction genre. It's also a reaction against all of the dark SF that has come out in the last few years in the wake of BSG, with a not small amount of homage to the optimism of ST:TNG and TOS.

And so far I'm liking it, a lot. It's nice to see a show with some actual optimism about the future, and a comedy that does not revolve around the characters being idiots (the crew of the Orville may have their quirks and flaws, but everybody on that bridge is qualified to be there). It's nice to see a ship that is meant to be a place somebody would actually want to serve, and which is out there to EXPLORE. And, frankly, I have the funny feeling that The Orville may end up doing Gene Roddenberry's optimistic vision of the future better than Star Trek: Discovery will.

Sep 28, 2016
Looks and sounds exactly like a typical MacFarlane comedy. I'm out. Sci-fi comedy shouldn't be handed to the lowest common brownominator. What a waste of potential.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Blood Brain Barrier said:
KissingSunlight said:
I liked The Orville. The pilot wasn't perfect. I think it does have the elements to be a really good substitute for Star Trek.

I appreciated that they didn't go for a Star Trek parody. It seems more like a human version of Star Trek. While the various Star Trek series were mostly good in their own way. The characters didn't seem all that relatable. The Orville have characters mentioning mundane things like needing to go to the bathroom. I love the scene where the characters were initially unimpressed with the important technology.

So, I am not ready to declare The Orville to be a great show. I think it is going to be a lot better than most people think.
I don't think expressing the need to go to the bathroom while talking to your superior officer makes a character more relatable, necessarily. If anything, it's the opposite. This show actually seems a more accurate version of the future with more relaxed protocols. In Star Trek there was a strict authoritarian/military structure to the Federation, which even now seems antiquated.
OK, I am a little hesitant to reply. Since this post started the whole "Is The Federation a military organization?" BTW, my vote is "yes".

I think you forgotten that these characters knew each other personally. Even though, they had different rank. There was some latitude to be casual to each other. So, I had no problem with that scene.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Robert B. Marks said:
Well, the interviews have said that they're aiming for something akin to MASH - a "dramedy" in the science fiction genre. It's also a reaction against all of the dark SF that has come out in the last few years in the wake of BSG, with a not small amount of homage to the optimism of ST:TNG and TOS.

And so far I'm liking it, a lot. It's nice to see a show with some actual optimism about the future, and a comedy that does not revolve around the characters being idiots (the crew of the Orville may have their quirks and flaws, but everybody on that bridge is qualified to be there). It's nice to see a ship that is meant to be a place somebody would actually want to serve, and which is out there to EXPLORE. And, frankly, I have the funny feeling that The Orville may end up doing Gene Roddenberry's optimistic vision of the future better than Star Trek: Discovery will.
What's the comedy though? What's funny? Where are the jokes? Or the optimism? I'm not getting a feeling they're any more hopeful than any of the TNG cast.
It seems like its being too goofy to be optimistic and too straight to be funny.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
I'm liking it so far with my fiancee. I was expecting it to be more comedic, but so far I don't the more "serious" approach. STD is going to have an uphill battle.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I had my reservations about the show when I first watched the trailer, I totally was not feeling the ex-wife as second in command thing and I'm usually not that happy about McFarlane's comedy shows, but after having watched the first 4 episodes I'm glad that I sat down to watch it, it is a lot more "serious" than its trailers lead me to believe and the ex-wife thing isn't played as ridiculously or as often as I had thought it would.

Dare I say it, I'm currently more looking forward to the new The Orville episode than I am to the new ST:D episode, not saying that ST:D is bad or anything, but I'm loving how quick The Orville got off its feet with introducing the bridge crew and diving into entertaining stories from episode 2 onward. I have always been more of a fan of single-episode-contained stories rather than dragged out overarching ones, so The Orville is playing right up my alley at the moment.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
It's an okay show, with most of the time feeling like McFarlane is just doing this to live out his own star trek fantasy.

But, as redlettermedia described it in a recent talk about Discovery, with startreks turn to be more cinematic and tough, Orville is currently the only show that satisfies the TNG startrek era itch.
You know, if I had the financial and media clout to essentially strongarm Fox into helping me post a Star Trek alike series so I could be in it as the captain? I'd do it as well.

I just wish it had less base humour in it than it does... but I suppose that's one of the things he proposed to get them to say yes. "I'll use the family guy, american dad level humour... you know how well that does with people."

(shrugs)

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Given that definition, having Warship... I'm sorry, "Tactical Cruisers that were only really designed for combat" such as the Prometheus Class [http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus_class] and the Defiant Class [http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Defiant_class] makes Starfleet the federation's de facto military. They are the ones issued the ships that can fight battles, they are the ones issued the phasers. They are what the Federation has and who the Federation uses when war breaks out.

They can call them whatever they want, but by definition, they are a military branch. But as I've said many times before, and in the last time you quoted me, their actual position in the Starfleet is a hybrid of military peacekeeping exploring diplomats.
That and things like the Kobayashi Maru exercise sums it up quite succinctly that it has a martial aspect and even goes as far to instill the idea of 'accepting death' is just a part of the job, which is pretty indicative of a martial society and mindset. When I wasan enlistee, we trained for 'contingencies' ... no one tells you to effectively 'die with honour'.

They almost make the Kobayashi Maru incident a staple of an officer's education, the benchmark to examining whether every cadet has that mindset going into every advanced position in Starfleet. So this wasn't as if just a minor moral theory in 'morality and ethics 101' at Starfleet Academy, this was the final moral metrics that they wished to impart to every cadet that went through their halls.

Pretty fucked up, if you ask me. A society of explorers should be more inclined to spread the message that through teamwork, math and foresight, that any obstacle can be survived and beaten. The Kobayashi Maru incident is pretty fucking awful, and the fact that it's considered 'suitable' for explorers to 'learn' is a fairly big indictment towards basic concepts of humanism and enlightened leadership.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, anyway, saw the first two episodes. And...it's okay. Not great or anything, but okay. The humor isn't exactly comedic gold, but it's way, WAY better than the kind of stuff McFarlane has done in stuff like Ted and Family Guy. It's basically a light-hearted romp. I would stress that two episodes in, it isn't a parody of Star Trek. Oh sure, it's a lot more focused on humor and a lot more crass, but it still plays its tropes straight. We have the not!Federation operating the not!Enterprise, which engages its not!warp drive, and comes into conflict with not!klingons, who's manned by the same types of characters that TNG has, at least in the roles they hold in the chain of command.

That said, if the 'spirit of Star Trek' to you is thought provoking questions and analogy to real-world situations, you're not going to find it here. I understand ep. 3 sort of deals with that, but with what I've seen so far, this isn't the place to find it. Ultimately, the Orville is fun, undemanding sci-fi. Which is fine. But I can't call it better or worse than Discovery, as they're both going for different angles. If you want simple light-hearted fun, go for the Orville. If you want more layered characters with a more serious storyline, go for Discovery. Or heck, just watch both.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Hawki said:
So, anyway, saw the first two episodes. And...it's okay. Not great or anything, but okay. The humor isn't exactly comedic gold, but it's way, WAY better than the kind of stuff McFarlane has done in stuff like Ted and Family Guy. It's basically a light-hearted romp. I would stress that two episodes in, it isn't a parody of Star Trek. Oh sure, it's a lot more focused on humor and a lot more crass, but it still plays its tropes straight. We have the not!Federation operating the not!Enterprise, which engages its not!warp drive, and comes into conflict with not!klingons, who's manned by the same types of characters that TNG has, at least in the roles they hold in the chain of command.

That said, if the 'spirit of Star Trek' to you is thought provoking questions and analogy to real-world situations, you're not going to find it here. I understand ep. 3 sort of deals with that, but with what I've seen so far, this isn't the place to find it. Ultimately, the Orville is fun, undemanding sci-fi. Which is fine. But I can't call it better or worse than Discovery, as they're both going for different angles. If you want simple light-hearted fun, go for the Orville. If you want more layered characters with a more serious storyline, go for Discovery. Or heck, just watch both.
The series does get deeper and have less crass jokes. The Orville is definitely in the spirit of ST:TNG. In fact, the last episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The series keeps getting better and better.

I really hope it's being watched enough to justify a second season or three.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Tanis said:
The series keeps getting better and better.

I really hope it's being watched enough to justify a second season or three.
Six seasons and a movie.

Though in all seriousness, seems the ratings have stabilised at a little over 3 million live viewers. Not sure how much the show costs but whatever cutoff point probably isn't too high given the fact the show clearly isn't on a high end budget (I'd be surprised if it was much over 3 million at most).

Something that helps is the fact that this is a passion project for Seth, who Fox wants to keep happy due to the fact Family Guy is still one of their biggest cash cows, and he can pull the plug on that without their involvement any time, so they probably want to keep him happy. Add to that the fact that the show offsets its production costs with Ghosted, and that drives the barrier needed for it to succeed down even more (the two shows share props, bringing down the cost of both. I've seen some claim Ghosted exists to make props for Orville, but I think it's more that since one was approved the other, being able to be made on the cheap as a result, also got approved).

If it isn't renewed they'll likely wait until the season is over to not kill viewership (who wants to watch a cancelled show in its first season?), but if it if gets a back nine (still holding out hope) that'll be a good sign it'll get a second season. Not assured, could get a second season without extending the first one, but I'd like a back nine anyway.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I've caught up with Pria, and...I'm sorry, how does the ending make any sense? They destroy the wormhole so that Pria can't come...except presumably she could still come because the wormhole is destroyed at only one point in time, so any point prior to that time should still allow a valid point of entry into the 25th century. And if that does stop her coming, then shouldn't that mean they died in the dark matter storm (note: dark matter doesn't work like that). But if they died, then they could never live to stop her coming to save them, but if she saved them so they could stop her from saving them, then...

Gah!

Anyway, series has got better over time. It's fun, undemanding fluff. Not great, but still fun.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Hawki said:
So, I've caught up with Pria, and...I'm sorry, how does the ending make any sense? They destroy the wormhole so that Pria can't come...except presumably she could still come because the wormhole is destroyed at only one point in time, so any point prior to that time should still allow a valid point of entry into the 25th century.
The wormhole was destroyed in Pria's past, meaning that it ceased to exist centuries before she was born.

And if that does stop her coming, then shouldn't that mean they died in the dark matter storm (note: dark matter doesn't work like that).
Not if the wormhole was destroyed after the timeline was changed so that the Orville was saved.
Look at it this way: The Orville was destroyed on Monday. Pria traveled from next Saturday to Sunday to set up rescuing and collecting the Orville. On Tuesday Pria takes the Orville through the wormhole to next Saturday. Issac regains control of the Orville and takes it back through the wormhole to Tuesday (effectively 'locking in' Pria's first visit). Captain Mercer orders the wormhole destroyed on Wednesday.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
So at NYCC Seth stated that he's confident that Fox will order a second season. While not an outright confirmation by any stretch of the imagination, given his relation with Fox that's about as close as we'll get until it actually happens.

I'm still holding out for a Back 9.