The Oscars Are Going to Suck

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
"The lone irritating downside to an increasingly diverse culture of multiple voices and viewpoints is that we run the risk of resurgent tribalism and factionalization; people eschewing the idea of shared "monocultural" events for the comforts and clan and kin - an insularity that breeds anti-intellectualism and stifles vision."

That second-to-last paragraph is rather insightful - even when considering recent cultural changes that have nothing to do with movie-making/watching. It puts into words something that's been nagging at the back of my mind ever since the word "television" stopped being synonymous with three channels (perhaps twenty-five years ago or so?). The internet, for all its myriad wonders, has simply exacerbated the problem.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
MacNille said:
I think The Artist will win not beacuse it is a shallow movie or something like that, but for trying something diffrent. You sound like a star wars fan when you are going on and on for The Tree of Life to win (which i have not seen, but have heard that is fucking boring and pompus). Maybe The Artist is just a better movie. I'm still pissed of that Drive was not nominade for best pic or Tintin wasen't either. Fuck you Hollywood.
I do not know if I would call the Artist different instead of Nostalgic to the Oscar voters. Which I guess is half the point for Bob in that they are outdated. Gotta say though, I agree with you about Drive, I loved that movie.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
I'm used to be one of those people who get exited to watch a Hollywood movie because well it's an American movie and as Filipino(yes, we are still stereotyped as America's most faithful slave) it's kinda of a big deal if a Hollywood movie is shot here. Want an example? How about The Bourne Legacy minus Matt Damon and Starring Jeremy Renner which is shot mostly here in the Philippines and I am pretty sure it will be another bland, cliched, generic, action movie. Will it be a blockbuster like its predecessors is anyone's guess at this point.

But now after joining the Escapist and watching some Escape to the Movies and other movie reviews from other sites, I finally realized(most of you already know this) that most of them are crap. And I used to think that being nominated to the Oscars is big thing and I think that the movies there are the best ever made, what a naive and idiotic boy I have been.

Nowadays it seems that whenever I see a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of a movie with the Best Picture of (insert year here) I still watch it to see what made it won that award and most of of the time it's set on WWII or older. So yeah the Oscars are for me no longer relevant on how judging how good a movie is.

Like my late grandmother said who just died last Sunday and still in being in the wake as of this writing (may she rest in peace). "Award doesn't matter, It's what you do that counts" or something like that. And it is.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Why are we so worried? If we ever lose the Oscars ceremony, at least we have the intellectual and culturally relevant likes of the MTV movie awards.........right? On a related note, I am all about making a statement but I am reminded of a certain character actor having an "altercation" with another refined celebrity of our times. It may have been a possibly wise decision someone was banned from the ceremony. Though, I honestly don't see why they said no to Muppets; maybe since they have Billy Crystal they are afraid of over doing the comedy?

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
MacNille said:
I think The Artist will win not beacuse it is a shallow movie or something like that, but for trying something diffrent. You sound like a star wars fan when you are going on and on for The Tree of Life to win (which i have not seen, but have heard that is fucking boring and pompus). Maybe The Artist is just a better movie. I'm still pissed of that Drive was not nominade for best pic or Tintin wasen't either. Fuck you Hollywood.
Tin Tin has no business being nominated for best picture. It's not even the best animated movie (Rango).

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Because I exist in a constant state of mind that is slightly out of synch with the rest of the world, I have to ask exactly what was unforgivable about the clip you linked to at the end?

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
shiajun said:
I'm a third on the why is Dances with Wolves clip unforgivable?
Many people are upset that Goodfellas didn't win that Oscar.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
shiajun said:
Goodfellas.

The thing is the Oscars can still retain most of their relevance as long as there's no real rival awards, until somebody comes up with a viable alternative then winning an oscar is still the best thing a movie can do, even if the awards themselves are frequently wrong especially in retrospect it's still the biggest and there's not much to indicate that this will ever change, no matter how many times cross like Crash wins or how dull the actual ceremony gets.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
shiajun said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Ummm Why was Dances with Wolves winning the Oscar unforgivable?
The fact that Goodfellas lost to Dances With the Wolves is often considered one of the most stupid moments in Oscar award history...for a very good reason.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
MacNille said:
moviedork said:
MacNille said:
Tin Tin has no business being nominated for best picture. It's not even the best animated movie (Rango).
Ok now, that is a lie. Tintin was a great film.
That's an even bigger lie. Tintin was a fantastic film.

Flutterbrave

Dec 10, 2009
The annoying thing is, although I agree with almost all of what Bob says, he always manages to make one sideways comment which I find completely ridiculous, even though it's said in the same "well of course I'm right" tone as the rest of the article - in this case, the writing off of Slumdog Millinaire as "immediately forgotten". I think you'd be hard pressed to find a significant number of people who genuinely forgot about it completely.

coogs42

Oct 10, 2010
This is why I think the Kermode Awards are the best awards. For those who don't know, the rule of the Kermodes is that you cannot win a Kermode for a category in which you have been nominated for an Oscar. Here are some of the films which won Kermodes over the past few years:
Pan's Labyrinth
Moon
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Let The Right One In
Senna
We Need To Talk About Kevin
A Scanner Darkly
Son of Rambow

Bit different to Oscar fare isn't it.
Also, of all the sources to use for a news article, why the hell was an article from the Daily Mail included. I mean, every other story from them is either racist or saying that say blinking will give you cancer. No-one should mention the Daily Mail at all if they want to be taken seriously unless it's in mocking it.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Ummm Why was Dances with Wolves winning the Oscar unforgivable? (Unless you're referring to the fact that Godfather 3 was even considered)
<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9a10PK54g>This was a far greater travesty.
I agree with your first point. I disagree with the second.
Shakespeare with Love was a good movie, and deserved the victory in a year of uninspiring movie releases. Are you suggesting Saving Private Ryan should have won instead? That film attempted half an hour of plotless, shockless, gore factor, and still somehow scooped a nomination. Few movies force me to turn them off, but I can honestly say that was one of the least interesting films I've watched half of.