The Other PS3 Hacker Is (Probably) Headed to Jail

zaver

Sep 6, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
"Hacker" isn't the right word to use in this situation. To be honest, I'm not sure what word works best, but it sure as hell ain't "hacker".
Actually it is the right word. The problem is that the media uses the word hacker for people like Lulzsec who are really crackers.

Shikua

Dec 7, 2010
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
"Hacker" isn't the right word to use in this situation. To be honest, I'm not sure what word works best, but it sure as hell ain't "hacker".
Hacker is the right word. Hacker is supposed to be someone who just does it for himself. A cracker is someone who cracks software or into websites to do damage.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Shikua said:
Echo136 said:
Actual said:
Wonderful how Sony doesn't even need to win the court case, they just need to throw so much money at it that a man can't afford to defend himself.

Love how money can buy the law.

This man fixed a broken product, the PS3, which Sony deliberately broke.

It's like if your car manufacturer turned off the stereo in your car because they were worried some people might use it to play pirated music and then sent you to prison for fixing it!
Thats a stupid example. Stereo's can be easily bought at a radioshack or best buy, and replace the old one LEGALLY. Why does everyone resort to using cars as an example for software piracy.
Because YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR!
Captcha: top drawer
LIKE HELL I WOULDNT. Given enough bandwidth and the technology, I'd try. LOL

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Baresark said:
I don't think he is facing criminal charges for it? Is he? I mean, I thought all that stuff was civil, meaning his credit and paychecks will forever be docked an amount of money a judge decides is fair. But if you are suing someone for money, if they can't pay, they don't go to jail.
Low Key said:
That's some bullshit. I hope he can raise enough money. He doesn't deserve to go to jail for modifying a device he bought.

Quiet Stranger said:
Good to hear? I guess? I can't wait till they arrest lulzsec or whatever they are called
No it's not. The guy didn't hack the network, he hacked his system to restore OtherOS. That's what fail0verflow is known for.
I couldn't agree more. I'm not for hackers and stealing, but I am for people being able to utilize a device they own as they see fit. I think it's funny how the slobbering uneducated masses always cry for blood in these situations, when if they got what they wanted, the masses position is no better than if it never happened.
I agree with you here, going to jail for hacking his console 0.0 (which he paid for and then had stuff taken off of) And this is corporate, not violent or aggressive, how is he going to jail for that?

I can never fathom how hacking gets the same jail-time and more in certain cases than manslaughter, it really does prove beyond doubt that corporations hold WAY too much power, governments I can handle, but if ever I had reason to flood the world with pure anarchism, it would be company greed and abuse of power.

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010

I HATE that cliche saying! Fact is: You couldn't download a car.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Echo136 said:
Actual said:
Wonderful how Sony doesn't even need to win the court case, they just need to throw so much money at it that a man can't afford to defend himself.

It's like if your car manufacturer turned off the stereo in your car because they were worried some people might use it to play pirated music and then sent you to prison for fixing it!
Thats a stupid example. Stereo's can be easily bought at a radioshack or best buy, and replace the old one LEGALLY. Why does everyone resort to using cars as an example for software piracy.
So he bought a replacement and they sued him, the analogy still works. It doesn't matter how he did it, he restored functionality to a broken product.

A closer to home analogy, Microsoft block internet access from every windows PC because of the fact that pirates use the internet. You bought a windows PC with the expectation that you'd be able to access the internet. You circumvent that you get sued.

Edited for something that just occurred to me. You highlighted 'legally' in your post. What he did wasn't illegal, that's the whole point of this court case, to decide if a corporation has the right to stop you fixing your and others products once they've sold them to you.

Unfortunately because of how much money Sony has they don't need to prove he was in the wrong legally, he won't be able to fight his case so they win by default of being considerably richer.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
This is a hard one for me. I believe sony is in the right trying to protect their system from piracy and this guy was a big help in the pirate market getting sony's system opened up for piracy. But I also understand the want to open up your own system and do what you please with it (even though I think all people who pirate should get a good swift kick wherever it would hurt the most or should have to work on something and spend thousands to millions of dollars on a product for 2-5 years and then have it pirated).

But there is definitely something wrong when it comes down to which entity has more money to win a legal battle which sadly is the way the world pretty much works now. This is a no win situation for either side sadly.

zaver

Sep 6, 2008
Echo136 said:
Actual said:

Because 1. No new PS3 being sold has other OS and 2. This wasn't because of software piracy. Sony uses that as a blanket term for anything that someone does to their systems. All of Graf's work went into bringing back Other OS to fat PS3 and also giving it to the slim models. In fact, someone continued Graf's work and now people can install Other OS on any of the PS3 models. You can't just lump all people who hack their systems to LOL THEY DOING IT FOR PIRACY.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Hmmm....i don't know, but shouldn't a legal protection insurance come up with most of the costs in Germany?
And if he doesn't have one, shouldn't he get court-appointed defence?

Just going to jail because you can't pay seems unlikely for Germany.

Btw taking away OtherOS was a freaking douche bag move, I liked linking some PS3's with buddies for scientific purposes and still being able to play regularly.

edit: and Sony even got around some taxes 'cause they could advertise the PS3 as computer and not as entertainment console - did they ever have to pay up the taxes since they took away OtherOS?

Shikua

Dec 7, 2010
ChillShark said:

I HATE that cliche saying! Fact is: You couldn't download a car.
wat
You realize that line is a joke right? From an edited picture from an anti-piracy commercial? And I said it to explain why people always use the car example when talking about hacking.
The original, for all to see!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Now the next question: How long will PSN be down for this time?
It would seem Sony hasn't lost enough money to learn their lesson.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Actual said:
Echo136 said:
Actual said:

So he bought a replacement and they sued him, the analogy still works. It doesn't matter how he did it, he restored functionality to a broken product.

A closer to home analogy, Microsoft block internet access from every windows PC because of the fact that pirates use the internet. You bought a windows PC with the expectation that you'd be able to access the internet. You circumvent that you get sued.
No in fact, in real life the example does NOT WORK! Nowadays you dont get in trouble for fixing your own engine. You dont get in trouble for changing your own tires, and you wouldnt get in trouble for replacing the radio and speakers with some nice subwoofers. None of that works. Unless there are roadblocks at every street corner where a company man from the manufacturer checks your car to make sure its still all authentic, its an unrealistic scenario.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Echo136 said:
Actual said:

He didn't commit any acts of software piracy. He modified a device he purchased to restore an advertised feature which was removed without notification or consent. Do you have any evidence that he ran, or even intended to run, pirated software? No? Then get off your high horse and start talking about the actual issue of this man's case instead of the larger situation of which you perceive it to be representative and for which you have decided to blame him (an action roughly as ridiculous as blaming a maker of wrenches because the tools they produced were used to commit a crime).

The idea that aftermarket modifications performed by an individual on a product they have payed for and legally own is inherently criminal is an inherently destructive one which serves no purpose other than to advance the cause of large corporations against private individuals who often lack the resources to defend themselves (as in this case).

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
zaver said:
Echo136 said:
Actual said:

Because 1. No new PS3 being sold has other OS and 2. This wasn't because of software piracy. Sony uses that as a blanket term for anything that someone does to their systems. All of Graf's work went into bringing back Other OS to fat PS3 and also giving it to the slim models. In fact, someone continued Graf's work and now people can install Other OS on any of the PS3 models. You can't just lump all people who hack their systems to LOL THEY DOING IT FOR PIRACY.
That has nothing to do with what I said. Besides, the guy did something illegal and deserved what he got. He's not some freedom fighter to be put on a pedestal. The other OS was taken away over a year ago. Get over it. And just because SOME people wont use it for piracy doesnt mean you can just ignore the fact that a majority of people probably will.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
My god Sony... did you not learn already?

I will say this again so there is no more confusion.

Sony, you are WRONG! You bait and switched with backwards compat, you bait and switched with alternative OS capability. You are harassing individuals for trying to legally repair what you intentionally broke. You have no right hiding behind laws so that you can erode ownership rights. It is painfully obvious that is what this issue is, a way to use governments to turn your platform from being a product into being a service you can charge more money for and uses the shield of Piracy to defend these garbage customer raping actions.

I have had enough. I Like linux and all, but I never had an intention to install custom firmware to a PS3. However Sonys malicious tactics that are being incorrectly publicly supported leave me with little recourse than to stop buying Sony products all together.

I had hoped that dealing with "the hack" Sony would have learned their lesson, but it seems that was incorrect.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
OtherSideofSky said:
Echo136 said:
Actual said:

He didn't commit any acts of software piracy. He modified a device he purchased to restore an advertised feature which was removed without notification or consent. Do you have any evidence that he ran, or even intended to run, pirated software? No? Then get off your high horse and start talking about the actual issue of this man's case instead of the larger situation of which you perceive it to be representative and for which you have decided to blame him (an action roughly as ridiculous as blaming a maker of wrenches because the tools they produced were used to commit a crime).

The idea that aftermarket modifications performed by an individual on a product they have payed for and legally own is inherently criminal is an inherently destructive one which serves no purpose other than to advance the cause of large corporations against private individuals who often lack the resources to defend themselves (as in this case).
YOu want me to talk about the issue? No. I almost refuse to at this point. Its a stupid issue and I cant believe people even defend this guy. There. Happy? Im so tired of this subject. These people are not freedom fighters. They are just whining that they cant run linux on their consoles and play hacked games, and other people defend them saying that illegal games isnt the main purpose when that is blatant lies. Thats all I have to say about that.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Echo136 said:
snip

YOu want me to talk about the issue? No. I almost refuse to at this point. Its a stupid issue and I cant believe people even defend this guy. There. Happy? Im so tired of this subject. These people are not freedom fighters. They are just whining that they cant run linux on their consoles and play hacked games, and other people defend them saying that illegal games isnt the main purpose when that is blatant lies. Thats all I have to say about that.
And I can't believe people like you who defend the big corporations like little sheep (probably buying every little mappack for the newest shooter? )
Sony did make a good amount of money by selling the PS3 as PC, because PC's have lower tax rates and they never had to pay anything back when they took away OtherOS and just made it an entertainment device.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
bakan said:
Echo136 said:
snip

And I can't believe people like you who defend the big corporations like little sheep (probably buying every little mappack for the newest shooter? )
Sony did make a good amount of money for selling the PS3 as PC, because PC's have lower tax rates and they never had to pay anything back when they took away OtherOS and just made it an entertainment device.
And I certainly get a laugh out of people like you who think you know my spending habits and loyalties.

Thanks, I needed the cheering up.