The Oval Office Gets a Wii

SnurreFisk

Jul 29, 2008
haha, ye.
Would've been kick-ass to see a Obama vs McCaine-fight in Tf2

Obama: " .. not just economical problems, but eviremental problems aswell! "
McCaine: ".. we must FIGHT for our lands, FIGHT for out liberty, FIGHT for our rights, FIGHT for our future and our children's future!"

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Really, because I'd prefer a President who actually read. But thats just me.
So you're saying you'd prefer John (Gamez R Evil) Howard over Barak Obama because Obama bought a Wii for his kids?

Sheesh, blue puppy, that's pretty sad reasoning.

-- Steve
Just saying that if his leisure time is scrace, I'd personally prefer if he spent it doing something thats going to be a bit better for his personal development than Wii Sports.
Translation: You'd rather he'd be playing Little Big Planet.

Come on, just say it, we know you want to :p

Or you just want to say "Wii's for tards hurr hurr" like you imply every waking moment.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
So you're saying you'd prefer John (Gamez R Evil) Howard over Barak Obama because Obama bought a Wii for his kids?

-- Steve
Just saying that if his leisure time is scrace, I'd personally prefer if he spent it doing something thats going to be a bit better for his personal development than Wii Sports.
Again, sheesh. See that article on games and doctors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_183/5630-Steady-Hands-Save-Lives] running currently, whose authour said he was getting tired of justifying his leisure time? Think on that for a bit. Also think on which would be better; a chief executive who plays casual games, or a chief executive who wants to ban games other than those suited for children.

I know which one I'd pick, even if said CEO was playing Vectrex.

-- Steve

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
You people are worrying about the wrong thing here - I mean, am I the only one worried about a possible presidential addiction to Animal Crossing: City Folk?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Are we really arguing over what console he should've bought? Really?

We, as gamers, have complained for so long about those in authority (or just the mainstream media) demonizing our favorite pastime, and now we finally have someone - not just someone, the leader of our country - saying "hey, gaming is OK," and we're still bitching?
You were expecting a rational response from fanboys? :p

-edit-
That said, I think this is a great thing. If we can get a Wii in the Kremlin, we can resolve all disputes between NATO and Russia with a game of Smash between Obama and Putin.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Jumpman said:
You realize of course that there is probably someone who's entire job consists of monitoring which games he'll play and how it will affect his PR.
I'm waiting for the headline "Daughter kicks president's ass in Mario Kart" and the spin of "Well the president made a poor choice in Wario, however there are high hopes that he will improve his game by choosing Yoshi in the future."

Arcaite

Jan 8, 2009
BudZer said:
thatstheguy said:
Odd, I could of swore Obama called gamers underachievers. Oh well, go figure.

BudZer said:
President Elect Obama, what's wrong with you? YOU are the leader of AMERICA, YOU are trying to boost AMERICA's economy, YOU should buy an AMERICAn console.
Yeah, but could you really imagine him pwning n00bs on Halo 3 on XBox Live?
I've never been able to imagine something any more clearly.
yeah, he'd give a victory speech after each kill. =D

'UberGamer221 fought long and hard in this campaign...'

... i'm surprised people have been saying in this thread that he should buy American-made consoles. It's been said a couple of times. I guess I personally have more respect for a president who buys the most appropriate console for his needs, regardless of its nationality?

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Susan Arendt said:

We, as gamers, have complained for so long about those in authority (or just the mainstream media) demonizing our favorite pastime, and now we finally have someone - not just someone, the leader of our country - saying "hey, gaming is OK," and we're still bitching?
I don't know if it's about which platform he should have bought, or if people are just jumping at the chance to perpetuate the console war. I mean, let's be honest, here; he's bought it for his daughters. He's only going to touch the thing to appease his kids, or for a photo op.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

-- Steve
Just a question; do you get as offended when Bush goes out to golf? Not every single moment of every single day needs to have the President saying "GRARR ECONOMIC ISSUES BE RESOOOLLLLLVED"

It's ridiculous to expect a man to do nothing but things that are perfectly awesome for him. Let the man enjoy his life; he may be president, but that doesn't mean his personal life has to end.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Flying-Emu said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Just a question; do you get as offended when Bush goes out to golf? Not every single moment of every single day needs to have the President saying "GRARR ECONOMIC ISSUES BE RESOOOLLLLLVED"

It's ridiculous to expect a man to do nothing but things that are perfectly awesome for him. Let the man enjoy his life; he may be president, but that doesn't mean his personal life has to end.
Personally, I'd want the man who has access to the big red button to have as many outlets for stress and rage as he can get ;)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
SilentHunter7 said:
Personally, I'd want the man who has access to the big red button to have as many outlets for stress and rage as he can get ;)
Then he'd better be careful picking his games...

*urk* "Alright, you've ganked me for the last time, Horde-boy!" *turns The Key*

-- Steve

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
SnurreFisk said:
Would've been kick-ass to see a Obama vs McCaine-fight in Tf2
Obama would be the Demoman, and McCain would be the Spy.
...and Palin would be the Heavy.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Oh boy, just what Nintendo needs: More free publicity. Seriously, they're freakin' geniuses... market the Wii to everyone for a few months, everyone famous buys one, every writer writes it into a script, and never have to pay for marketing again.

Jul 9, 2008
Syphonz said:
Putin does not play Pikachu, He's all about the Captain Falcon.
I'd have thought Mario. You know, 'cause he's red...
CantFaketheFunk said:
If the man wants to read in his spare time, I have no doubt that he'll certainly find time to actually, y'know, read a book. Bush even had competitions with Cheney over who could read more.
Really? I never heard that. What was the record, 1/2 a book per term?
Duol said:
I mean it would hardly appear very well if he told the press he bought GTA4 for his kids or if he started talking about how he was using the NSA's super computers to run Crysis... Baby steps people, baby steps is all.
Wouldn't it be funny if those Supercomputers still couldn't play Crysis at the top settings?

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

Behold, The sound of reason.

I mean, come on, it's a Wii. He bought it for his kids, and plays Wii Sports with them. That's cool, and the sign of a kick-ass parent. Yeah, maybe we don't like the Wii because it doesn't play Blu-rays or Rainbow Six: Vegas, but it's a step forward and I'd put money down that videogames get portrayed in a more favourable light now that a politician has bothered to find out what one is instead of decrying them all as murder sims.

EDIT: For clarity, I think the Wii is a great idea, but the idea could be executed a lot better.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Duol said:
... or if he started talking about how he was using the NSA's super computers to run Crysis... Baby steps people, baby steps is all.
NASA already play crysis on a supercomputer :D http://blog.videosift.com/MarineGunrock/NASA-comes-close-to-running-Crysis-at-maximum-settings