The PC Version of Dark Souls 2 is lazy as hell

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
delta4062 said:
]But they did deliver. It may not be a perfect port, it's a poor port indeed but it still functions.
It doesn't, certain parts just don't.

Imagine my car, this time with wheels, but the breaks don't work. That car works, it does what a car is supposed to do, namely drive, but an important part doesn't work.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
By the way, there is a working fix- remapping your mouse buttons to keyboard keys. There are several different user-made control schemes around the net. There is no easy way for the modders to go into the already compiled code and remove the double-click check, because they have no access to the source.
I played this game for about an hour, saw the horrendous control and just stopped. I haven't played it again, even though I know how to fix it.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
DonTsetsi said:
By the way, there is a working fix- remapping your mouse buttons to keyboard keys. There are several different user-made control schemes around the net. There is no easy way for the modders to go into the already compiled code and remove the double-click check, because they have no access to the source.
I played this game for about an hour, saw the horrendous control and just stopped. I haven't played it again, even though I know how to fix it.
Thats actually pretty sad, because the game is really good for the most part. Hopefully there will be a fix soon that lets you enjoy it and lets me enjoy it even more.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Whilst I don't agree with the controls being bad I've got to say that From allowing 60fps and then tying the game's animations and even the durability to the FPS is incredibly lazy. It's basically putting PC players at a disadvantages unless they play at an inferior framerate. Don't believe me? Watch this:

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Chris Tian said:
DonTsetsi said:
Thats actually pretty sad, because the game is really good for the most part. Hopefully there will be a fix soon that lets you enjoy it and lets me enjoy it even more.
There is a fix, I just haven't bothered. The fix is downloading Autohotkey or a similar program, mapping your mouse buttons to unused keyboard keys and setting those keys to the desired actions in the game menu.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
DonTsetsi said:
Chris Tian said:
DonTsetsi said:
There is a fix, I just haven't bothered. The fix is downloading Autohotkey or a similar program, mapping your mouse buttons to unused keyboard keys and setting those keys to the desired actions in the game menu.
I'm not familiar with this Autohotkey programm. How does that work? The way I understand it, I could then not use my mouse buttons at all?

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
A-D. said:
on and and on it goes
My guess is that you are jumping in here without reading all the preceding comments, so in my boundless benevolence I shall oblige:
If it works for you and you love playing it like that - great! I am happy for you - I've said it before. Your enjoyment is yours, and I have no quarrel with you.
It is only when one, such as OP, begins to pour dirt all over a great title for not having what he craves is when I step in.

Does, on the whole, ignoring recommended input peripherals lessen the enjoyment of the game? Well... Probably. Playing something like MS Flight Simulator with just KBnM is counterproductive, for example. BUT that's not the point I am arguing, nor the point I care for defending right now.

History lesson: Why did FROM Software port Dark Souls to PC in the first place? Not because they planned it. But because thousands upon thousands of hardcore fans asked them to. Willing to bet OP was not one of those people, but I digress.

On the whole you, are not really disagreeing with me on any of the important points, as far as I can tell. Shall we stop here?

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Augustine said:
It is only when one, such as OP, begins to pour dirt all over a great title for not having what he craves is when I step in.
I can't belive it :D You are now literally admitting you are just here because someone dared to point out a flaw in a game you like and you just have to defend it.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Chris Tian said:
DonTsetsi said:
Chris Tian said:
DonTsetsi said:
I'm not familiar with this Autohotkey programm. How does that work? The way I understand it, I could then not use my mouse buttons at all?
You just map a button or a button combination to another button. It's on the OS level. So, when you click a mouse button, the system identifies it as you having pushed the 'n' key (or whatever key you chose), for example. The whole idea is that the game doesn't detect mouse button presses as such, but as keyboard key presses. You can even set it so that the system identifies both actions (so that you can still use the mouse for the game menus).

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
DonTsetsi said:
You just map a button or a button combination to another button. It's on the OS level. So, when you click a mouse button, the system identifies it as you having pushed the 'n' key (or whatever key you chose), for example. The whole idea is that the game doesn't detect mouse button presses as such, but as keyboard key presses. You can even set it so that the system identifies both actions (so that you can still use the mouse for the game menus).
Thats awesome, now if you would be so kind to go back in time and tell me that when I#m about 1-10 hours into DS2 and not around 100 that would be even more awesome. :D

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
Chris Tian said:
I can't belive it :D You are now literally admitting you are just here because someone dared to point out a flaw in a game you like and you just have to defend it.
I am saddened that you cannot. That's probably the root of all your problems.
You merely "pointed out a flaw in the game I like" you say? Oh really?
Because your title, I quote, is: "The PC Version of Dark Souls 2 is lazy as hell". In it you describe it as "a freaking disaster" among many-many-many other things.
Does it surprise you that people are apt to call you out on it?
But let's be real here - you are not open for any criticism, or to change your mind. It is plain to me that this conversation leads nowhere - this is all about ego of yours, and not the actual merits of the game in question.
I rest my case - I'd rather be playing Dark Souls.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Augustine said:
I am saddened that you cannot. That's probably the root of all your problems.
You merely "pointed out a flaw in the game I like" you say? Oh really?
Because your title, I quote, is: "The PC Version of Dark Souls 2 is lazy as hell". In it you describe it as "a freaking disaster" among many-many-many other things.
Does it surprise you that people are apt to call you out on it?
But let's be real here - you are not open for any criticism, or to change your mind. It is plain to me that this conversation leads nowhere - this is all about ego of yours, and not the actual merits of the game in question.
I rest my case - I'd rather be playing Dark Souls.
Of course you wont change my mind, especially not since you made the most ridiculous argument in the whole thread.
It boiled down to:

"You should never have expected working KB+M controls, despite their promise they would deliver those, because they recommended a controller."

And then you topped that of with:

Augustine said:
And again, there's this strange underlying assumption that all PC games should run perfectly well on KB&M, in addition to other peripherals, which is outlandishly wrong.
That it is "outlandishly wrong" to expect a game to work with the main input device of my platform.

That is just so ridiculous, that I could no longer take you seariously after you postet that.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
You either don't understand, which is pitiable, or don't want to understand, which is ignoble.
Either way, I am done.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
glad to see im not the only one who see's dark souls as a money stealing waste of time, the game should never been released on PC without proper port controls and ill never be buying any dark souls games again. Even the worst games have better keyboard ports than this console loving game.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
Chris Tian said:
Childe said:
I play DS2 with keyboard and mouse and i do just fine. I mean I suck at the game, but that's because I'm bad. The one thing that pisses me off is that I can't rebind the lockon button from o to q......
Hm, you should be able to rebind that the way you want to, unless q is mapped otherwise.

Oh my god, sorry for all the double posting I keep overreading posts i want to quote.
I've tried to rebind. the changes keep reverting when i laeve the menu

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
RealRT said:
And people should really quit with "WELL, IT WAS DESIGNED TO PLAY WITH A CONTROLLER, SO EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE ON PC, YOU SHOULD PLAY IT WITH A CONTROLLER". It's never the game design, it's just the developers being lazy and putting no thought in control layouts. Which is jarring nowadays, when the layouts for such games are practically set in the stone.
The game wasn't designed with KB/M in mind. Everything about the way the game handles screams 'I was built around the assumption the play will have a controller in hand', cause, ya know It's a console port -.-

So while you can cry 'it's just an excuse for lazy porting' doesn't change which control scheme the game was built around, and which controller is BETTER for this game, or are you gonna try and say oh, Metal Gear Rising has a 'lazy port' to cause playing that with the KB/M is a good way to get your ass kicked to.

Besides, you all are gonna whine about the 'lazy KB/M' implementation? really? there are so many other things wrong with Dark Souls II that are for more worthy of attention then how well the secondary control scheme is set up.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
RealRT said:
lacktheknack said:
You're telling me that a game designed for controllers, developed by people who have almost no experience in porting, has poor keyboard/mouse controls using fewer buttons than expected?

I have never been more utterly shocked in my entire life, and I've been electrocuted before! D:

Seriously. No one with any knowledge of its history bought Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2 with realizing that the keyboard/mouse controls would be terrible without modding. Play it with a controller then get back to us on how bad it is.
The fact that they had no prior experience justifies the port being bad how? It's not a magic excuse that makes it okay. Either learn from GOOD PC ports or outsource it to a team who knows what they are bloody doing. And people should really quit with "WELL, IT WAS DESIGNED TO PLAY WITH A CONTROLLER, SO EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE ON PC, YOU SHOULD PLAY IT WITH A CONTROLLER". It's never the game design, it's just the developers being lazy and putting no thought in control layouts. Which is jarring nowadays, when the layouts for such games are practically set in the stone.

So much this, is it really so much to ask that a game I buy on PC has actually had some effort put into making it work on the standard control scheme for PC? This shit would never fly on consoles, imagine if any PC to console ports were terrible with a controller and the same excuse was used, there would be uproar.

As for the player fixes, its unacceptable that someone can make fixes for things like keybinds and proper aspect ratios and the like when the professional paid dev studio can't and claim they don't have enough experience. If a guy off the street could do my job better than me I would get fired.

Of course though if you ever dare to bring these things up you just get the usual stop being elitist pc masterrace rhetoric.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Lunar Templar said:
RealRT said:
And people should really quit with "WELL, IT WAS DESIGNED TO PLAY WITH A CONTROLLER, SO EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE ON PC, YOU SHOULD PLAY IT WITH A CONTROLLER". It's never the game design, it's just the developers being lazy and putting no thought in control layouts. Which is jarring nowadays, when the layouts for such games are practically set in the stone.
The game wasn't designed with KB/M in mind. Everything about the way the game handles screams 'I was built around the assumption the play will have a controller in hand', cause, ya know It's a console port -.-

So while you can cry 'it's just an excuse for lazy porting' doesn't change which control scheme the game was built around, and which controller is BETTER for this game, or are you gonna try and say oh, Metal Gear Rising has a 'lazy port' to cause playing that with the KB/M is a good way to get your ass kicked to.

Besides, you all are gonna whine about the 'lazy KB/M' implementation? really? there are so many other things wrong with Dark Souls II that are for more worthy of attention then how well the secondary control scheme is set up.
Again, the control layouts for such games are set in stone by now. Look at the Batman series. Clearly designed for gamepads... but plays real smooth and natural and convenient on keyboard and mouse. Look at The Witcher 2. That one did some platform bending and it's all real playable. Yes, I am going to call the port lazy and will be right for doing that because all they needed is to put a little lick of thought into the control layout. Again, let's return to our old pal Batman. In Arkham Asylum on the controller, all the gadgets are set to the D-Pad. PC port, instead of trying to imitate it like lazy ports do, instead set them all up on number keys, which is very natural and intuitive. This is a prime example of developers being clever and putting thought into the controls instead of being dipshits and allowing other people to make up excuses like "hurr-durr, it wasn't designed for keyboard". And really, the only game that has any right to require a controller that's not included with the system by default is the game that's bundled with said controller.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
RealRT said:
Lunar Templar said:
RealRT said:

Again, the control layouts for such games are set in stone by now. Look at the Batman series. Clearly designed for gamepads... but plays real smooth and natural and convenient on keyboard and mouse. Look at The Witcher 2. That one did some platform bending and it's all real playable. Yes, I am going to call the port lazy and will be right for doing that because all they needed is to put a little lick of thought into the control layout. Again, let's return to our old pal Batman. In Arkham Asylum on the controller, all the gadgets are set to the D-Pad. PC port, instead of trying to imitate it like lazy ports do, instead set them all up on number keys, which is very natural and intuitive. This is a prime example of developers being clever and putting thought into the controls instead of being dipshits and allowing other people to make up excuses like "hurr-durr, it wasn't designed for keyboard". And really, the only game that has any right to require a controller that's not included with the system by default is the game that's bundled with said controller.
Batman: Played both with a controller.
Witcher: Not interesting enough of a concept for me to give a second glance.

I knew you where going to bring up the number keys :) Shame that if they had let you bind things like spells and items to those it would have made Dark Souls II even easier then it already was, and make no mistake about it, allowing for the binding of spells/items to the number keys would have a substantial effect on a game like Dark Souls.

Using Batman as an example, cause I actually played those, when where you using the gadgets? Outside of combat, since the vast majority of them are non combat items to begin with. So binding those to the number keys really doesn't change anything.

A Souls game on the other hand, I would call that more deliberate in its 'restrictions', so only have one item or spell at the ready at any given time makes you choose only what your going to need most to survive. Now change that from 2 to 10 items/spells ready at the press of a button and see what that does to the difficulty. The game would need to be rebalanced to keep its trade mark difficulty as to compensate for the player having more active items/spells at a time.

Lemme guess, you never considered that the way the active inventory is handled in Dark Souls was a deliberate design choice in regards to difficultly, Cause it is, and giving the player more active options at a time unbalances what they have set up sine its not built around more then one spell and one item being used at a time.

Would have finished this sooner, but I have an important Gundam related discussion going on else where that has far greater priority.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Lunar Templar said:
RealRT said:
Lunar Templar said:
RealRT said:

Batman: Played both with a controller.
Witcher: Not interesting enough of a concept for me to give a second glance.

I knew you where going to bring up the number keys :) Shame that if they had let you bind things like spells and items to those it would have made Dark Souls II even easier then it already was, and make no mistake about it, allowing for the binding of spells/items to the number keys would have a substantial effect on a game like Dark Souls.

Using Batman as an example, cause I actually played those, when where you using the gadgets? Outside of combat, since the vast majority of them are non combat items to begin with. So binding those to the number keys really doesn't change anything.

A Souls game on the other hand, I would call that more deliberate in its 'restrictions', so only have one item or spell at the ready at any given time makes you choose only what your going to need most to survive. Now change that from 2 to 10 items/spells ready at the press of a button and see what that does to the difficulty. The game would need to be rebalanced to keep its trade mark difficulty as to compensate for the player having more active items/spells at a time.

Lemme guess, you never considered that the way the active inventory is handled in Dark Souls was a deliberate design choice in regards to difficultly, Cause it is, and giving the player more active options at a time unbalances what they have set up sine its not built around more then one spell and one item being used at a time.

Would have finished this sooner, but I have an important Gundam related discussion going on else where that has far greater priority.
Yes it does change a lot in Batman, especially in Arkham City and Origins' combat. Quick using gadgets is double tapping the number keys, so it's easy-peasy to use batarangs, or the claw or the ice/glue grenade and all that jazz right when you need it. That's useful as all hell.
Number keys were just an example of a clever developer replacing a gamepad-specific interface with a keyboard-specific interface. I'm not saying Dark Souls should have had those.