The Perfect Saturday

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
6:00am: Wake up
7:00am: Get out of bed
7:01am: Try again
7:30am: Pull on filthy old clothes. Wake up dog. Avoid lingering doggy dreams of hunting rabbits. Keep fingers.
7:40am: Walk barefoot, because you are such a free spirit, out into the world with the dog.
7:45am: Go back for shoes.
8:15am: Arrive at café, order large and greasy meal for two. And a ginger beer.
8:16:30am: Complain to dog that this is taking a while, notice waitress is behind you with the drink. Say 'Just kidding' to your dog to cement your appearance as a total toss.
8:17am: Drink ginger beer. It is good.
8:25am: Eat large breakfast-for-two ravenously, like some kind of heathen beast. Feed half of it to Dog.
----- 8:25amA: Tell dog he is getting fat.
----------- 8:25amB: Make stupid faces at dog until he gets annoyed. Victory.

8:40am: Pay for delicious meal and buy a day old newspaper from the café. Walk back into the world. Do not read newspaper. All lies.
8:45am: Go back for shoes.
8:50am: Go back for Dog.
9:30am: Arrive at local co-op (Fish Market). Enter yon establishment. In current clothing, still the worst smelling thing in the building. Approach counter, fix yeowman with a steely gaze and lock wills to determine the greater mind. You are victorious. Such is your power. Place order with the defeated salesperson, claiming your nautical bounty.
9:40am: Collect bag of [OPERATION HAMMERTIME], look towards fridge.
9:40:00:00:01am: Notice they sell ginger beer.
9:45am: After going through the line again, drink ginger beer. It is good. Leave for home.
9:50am: Go back for [OPERATION HAMMERTIME]

10:30am: Arrive home. Place [OPERATION HAMMERTIME] in fridge next to all the ginger beer. Restrain yourself.
10:40am: Shower. Optional: Wash Hair.
10:50am: Get out of shower.
10:50:30am: Look at self in mirror.
11:00am: Look away.
11:10am: Turn on computer as you pass.
11:11am: Deliberate on what to wear. Select shorts and a T-shirt. There is nothing else in your wardrobe anyway.
11:15am: Sit at computer. Log on. Open up usual tabs. No Nerf to rogues, close that tab. No news on Norwegian sky-vortex, you want to believe but you close the tab anyway. Other 5 tabs are Escapist. Open up inspirational picture of Rorshach. Work begins. Begin clearing report queue.

12:30pm: Finish clearing report queue. Make snide comment in versus thread.
12:31pm: Read your comment aloud to the Dog. He'd like it if he could speak human. Laugh a bit.
12:40pm: It is almost lunch, time for [OPERATION HAMMERTIME]. Collect hammertime kit and a ginger beer. Get Dog. Leave house.
1:00pm: Race old lady for the best park bench near the river. Play dirty, she's lived long enough.
1:05pm: Lay out old Newspaper you bought from the cafe (See?), begin [OPERATION HAMMERTIME]

Ultrajoe sat upon the Bench, and dragged the massive weight of the Hammertime kit onto his lap. From inside he removed the Hammertime Hammer, a large and powerful hammer of justice, and the amber liquid known only as Ginger Beer, or 'Lathnavros' in the native elven tongue. Setting aside these great artifacts of many saturdays past, he delved yet deeper into the mass of Kit to withdraw [OPERATION HAMMERTIME] itself. A kilogram of pure and unadulterated Mud Crab AKA: Plated Heaven AKA: Six Legged Rapture AKA: The Salty Mouth-Orgasm.

He did untie legs of the cooked beastie, and gaze upon the armoured shell that holds the awesomeness within. He did look down upon himself, sensing irony but ignoring it in lieu of the many voices that were his stomach and tongue-brain. He Did Sieze The Hammertime Hammer, Raising It High With Potential Vengeance, Fixing His Eyes Upon The Shell That Hosted Earthly Ecstasy! HE DID STRIKE!

And he did eat the crab, as the Dog did cower under the rain of thunderous shell-shrapnel and flying crab-bits. The Dog knew better than to ask for a piece of the crab. All were envious of this meal.

1:40pm: Clear away Debris. Throw crab bits in river, watch fish fight over them. Laugh.
1:45pm: Have clever idea to wash hands in river.
2:00pm: Manage to scrabble out of the river.
2:10pm: Drink ginger beer. It is good.
2:30pm: Arrive home, stow away Hammertime kit. Turn on computer.
2:35pm: Log into WoW

11:00pm: Go to sleep.
11:05pm: Wake up again, log out of WoW and go to bed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was musing on my monthly crab feast when it occured to me that most everyone I know has a weekend addiction, a habitual zen they cannot escape nor one they wish to escape. I was going to just ask somebody in a PM about theirs, when I realized that I am really an interesting person and that everyone would love to read about me. And so I decided to break down, play-by-play, what makes a weekend grand for the Joe. I invite anyone to join me in sharing stories about their perfect weekend. Not their dream weekend, but their perfect weekend (which actually happens).

For the record, everything on the above list has happened at least once, not necessarily at those times. Especially the Ginger Beer parts.

What do you do every weekend (Or month, in my case) that you could not go without? It doesn't need to be anything special or anything even fun, just something that defines the day and lets you know that it's sure as hell a Saturday.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
Sleep in till at least two in the arvo. IF I can't do that, then people get the Grumpy McSlightStab all weekend long.

Mr. Blond

Mar 4, 2009
wow...i got maybe a 1/4 of the way through that

i feel guilty for posting on a thread i didn't read the OP on but whatever

on my day-off i'm do as little as i can to fulfill my duties as a good fiance then i kidnap a cop and slice his ear off...that or i play as many video games as i can after doing enough around the house so i won't feel guilty

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Here's my perfect Saturday:

11:00 AM- Wake Up
11:30 AM- Breakfast
12:00 PM- Start Drinking
8:00 PM- Stop Drinking
8:30 PM- Play Video Games
9:00 PM- Resume Drinking
11:00 PM- Play Video Games (whilst Drinking)
1:00 AM- Pass Out
1:01 AM- Wake up and Vomit in Toilet
1:01 AM- Fall Asleep in Bathroom

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Insert Comedy Here said:
Sleep in till at least two in the arvo. IF I can't do that, then people get the Grumpy McSlightStab all weekend long.
Agreed. I'm still hoping Ultrajoe was kidding when he wrote that he wakes up at 6AM... Saturdays are for waking up late and stuffing one's face with junk food.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Oh Joe, that sounds like a truly ultra day. My saturdays usually go as such...
9:45am: Wake up to turn off the alarm I forgot to switch off the night before.
9:46am: Lie in bed trying to figure out when to wake up/what I need to do for the day.
9:47am: Slowly lose consciousness, not realizing so, but having it seem totally reasonable that teaching 5 year-olds figure drawing is what I'll be doing with my day.
10:45am: Wake up again. This time for real, actually wake up.
10:45-11am: Lie in bed and enjoy the heat of the sun shining in my window.
11am: Oatmeal or pancakes (depends how lazy I am)
12pm: Open laptop. Briefly check facebook, email, May Contain Dragons and the artist thread on the escapist.
12:20pm: Open Photoshop Elements and commence digital painting.
12:30pm: Realize silence and put on some music.
12:45pm: Get frustrated, stop for a while and dick around on the net.
1:20pm: Realize I have D&D in 10 min. Unsuccessfully attempt to wake roommate.
1:30pm: Wake roommate. Call other members of the group to say we'll be late.
1:45pm: Arrive at D&D, commence playing.
5:50pm: Arrive home from D&D. Eat food. Play video games.
9:00pm: Head to a friends house. Drink a beer or two with my friends.
1:30am: Head home. Check facebook, email, May Contain Dragons and the escapist.
1:59am: Read the new Married to the Sea and Toothpaste for Dinner.
2:00am: Go to bed.

My Saturdays are generally centered around my weekly D&D sessions. I usually don't have a lot of time to do digital paintings on Saturdays, which I would like to do more of in that time. I often find myself wishing I was more productive with my day...

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Jannycats said:
Agreed. I'm still hoping Ultrajoe was kidding when he wrote that he wakes up at 6AM... Saturdays are for waking up late and stuffing one's face with junk food.
Breakfast menu closes at 10:30 and the fisherdude puts his prices up almost 100% around 10:00, being the smart cookie that he is. Logic states that I need to be up and sentient in time to make both of these times in order to enjoy the rest of the day, and so I need to be at breakfast around 8-8:30. The plan is (and always has been) to go for a bike ride at 6:00 and stop over at breakfast and crab-seller on the way home... but I'm lazy and 'I'll walk the Dog!' is an ever-present excuse. Also, I get up at 6 for work. If I don't on weekends, it makes Mondays into a living hell.

Fightgarr said:
My Saturdays are generally centered around my weekly D&D sessions. I usually don't have a lot of time to do digital paintings on Saturdays, which I would like to do more of in that time. I often find myself wishing I was more productive with my day...
Man, DnD, I miss it and 40K so damn much. I should get off my butt and find a local place that plays, would make for a great Sunday activity rather than moping about killing Alliance lowbies in WoW. It might bt fun to whip out the 'Nids and kill marines for a day.

Pararaptor said:
3.00am: Awaken.
3.15am: DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN.
9.00pm: Sleep.
I laughed, heartily. For some reason the sight of Tim Curry's leering smile is like a tazer to my pleasure centers. Your comment only adds to this.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
Also, I get up at 6 for work. If I don't on weekends, it makes Mondays into a living hell.
Finally someone else who gets it. It's so incredibly easy to avoid broken mondays, just stick to your regular waking up routine. Plus, when you do that on your Saturday off, you'll have a massively long day of doing whatever the hell you like. Isn't that just awesome?

Hence, I wake up early, that is about 8:30 for me, and after that I just do whatever I feel like doing. Usually that is watching Invader Zim, talking to my favourite person in the universe, playing some game, reading a book (that is, if Dune would finally friggin' arrive) and try to avoid my parents moaning of me doing nothing. Whiners, I've got my weekend too you know.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm going to be so glad when I've got this house to myself again in a couple weeks. My ex-wife's sleep habits are so thoroughly unhealthy that it was having a vile effect on me. Used to be I could reliably count upon myself to go to bed at 23:30 every night and wake up at 07:30 every morning.

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
0600 Wake up.
0630 Work out.
0900-1200 Study/do shit that needs to be done.
1200-1900 Video games or more of the previous.
1900-2300 Depart for drinking or more video games(and drinking).
2300-0100 Troll the internet(and drinking).
0200 Recharge my fleshy human batteries.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Saturday for me is generally something like this:

Some time around 6am: go to bed.
Some time in the afternoon: get up.
After that: play video games, piss around on the internet, maybe eat at some point.

...by which time it's Sunday and it's all over. Not exactly what I'd call a perfect Saturday, but I don't seem to be making much effort to change it so it's obviously not too bad.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Saturdays? Not being stuck at home is enough for me. Mooping around town with the girlfriend or sitting in the library is joyous.

Smokeydubbs

Mar 18, 2009
11AM: Turn off alarm
12PM-3PM: Wake up sometime in this time frame
-Shower
-Eat
-Game
3AM: Pass out with TV on
5AM: Wake up, turn TV off, fall back asleep

Saturdays are very unproductive for me.

A perfect Saturday would entail this:

8AM: Wake
8AM: Shower
8:15AM: Eat
8:30AM: Game
Noon: Eat while gaming
7PM: Eat while gaming
2AM: Sleep

Khedive Rex

Jun 1, 2008
My saturdays typically consist of waking up in the late afternoon when my persistent friends decide that just cause I didn't pick up on the first call doesn't mean I won't on the sixth. After groggily answering my cell and discovering that I'm attending a party in an hour I stand up, yawn, scratch, and then go attend to affairs of hygene.

Depending on how much time I have, I typically make a quick breakfast. Inevitably my ride knocks on my door just as I finish cooking but before I can eat. I grumble, stare longingly at whatever I had planned to consume and answer the door. It turns out there are two people waiting at the door. They both attack me with foam swords. I retrieve my plastic lightsaber from the living room and fend them off. Much merriment is had by all.

We leave and head for the car. A third friend jumps out from behind a bush. The sword fighting recommences. (God's damn I love being in theater. I can act twice as eccentric as any other video-gaming nerd and somehow still keep a reputation as being cool, smooth and metropolitan. I'm pretty sure I hacked society.)

We eventually reach the party. After a quick introductory sword fight with all those in attendance we file in to play Super Smash Bros. I destroy most in attendance as Yoshi. There is much consternation as to how this is possible. I then proceed to fight as Ice Climbers. Heads explode. Cameron begins to play. I and him fight. It is glorious to behold.

I lose multiple times at pool while having a conversation about poke'mon. The knowledge that I have only a passing understanding of the game remains uncommon. I smile on the inside.

The latest movies are discussed. There is much pointing and accusation.

A game of chess starts in the corner. A larger game of Apples To Apples drowns it out. I complain that we never play Diplomacy even though we have enough people to do it and it's probably the most perfect theater game out there that isn't charades. People agree. the notion is forgotten about.

If there are new people I endear myself to them by asking what play they're in. If the play sounds good I find out when it's showing.

Come around midnight people start clearing. I and my ride leave at one. I get home at like 1:30. I decide that since I'm not tired I'm going to write a chapter of a book I've had floating in my head. Hours pass unproductively. Just before sunrise I fall asleep.

... Yep, thats my saturday routine.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Ultrajoe, that was hysterically funny. Thank you.

For myself Saturdays are a mixed affair. Here's a general timeline.

0630 Partially wake up. Panic, thinking it's another school day.
0635 After scrambling around for phone realise it's Saturday and collapse back into bed.
0700 Get back to sleep.
1300 Stumble out of bed, switch on computer and stumble to kitchen for sustenance and stamina potions.
1320 Realise that 3 doubleshot ristrettos is a potentially deadly way to start the morning. Feel accomplished that I have survived it again. +2 badassery.
1337 Activate IRC, Skype and Escapist.
1345 Do battle with mod queue.
1420 Do battle with trolls.
1450 Do battle with everything on Deus Ex.
1600 Attain more sustenance. Narrate consumption to who ever is on the Skype call.
1620 Laugh at Ultrajoe.
1625 Laugh with Ultrajoe.
1630 Apply self to internet for study.
1900 Realise that StumbleUpon and IRC have sucked another few hours away.
2000 CONSUME.
2030 Re-activate Internet.
2100 Activate study.
2120 De-activate study. Token effort for day achieved.
2200 Commence Operation Shower.
2203 Swear the walls blue at the lack of shower product X.
2207 Muse that a visit outside to the pool first would have been a smarter move.
2215 Return to computer.
0300 Check watch, return to bed.

The perfect Saturday would probably not see me leave the bed aside from food, for varying reasons. There would be coffee and pancakes involved at some point. Or it'd be an Escapism, hey. I'll tell you next Sunday on that count.

I think there are a few primary ingredients to a good Saturday. First, Badassery. Essential ingredient, disobedient donkeys and all. Can be generated by a number of quests. Second is relaxation which grows in the dark caverns of potential boredom for many people. For the rest it's doing something other than the daily grind. Not a clue what it is for MMO addicts.

Third is coffee. It is always coffee.

Fourth is Pancake/s.

Fifth is procrastination. The "I'll do it tomorrow" syndrome well known to all students that is generated when the mind perceives that there is at least 24 hours between now and when x-work is due. It also applies to house work and volunteer work.

Sixth is the self delusional nature of the weekend. Monday is just so far away after all. We don't need to care...

Also, I get up late on weekends because it's my recovery. I like my screwed up schedule because it means I have even more reason to pop a ***** fit and stab everyone on Mondays. They look better in red.

Downfall89

Aug 26, 2009
Mr. Blond said:
wow...i got maybe a 1/4 of the way through that

i feel guilty for posting on a thread i didn't read the OP on but whatever

on my day-off i'm do as little as i can to fulfill my duties as a good fiance then i kidnap a cop and slice his ear off...that or i play as many video games as i can after doing enough around the house so i won't feel guilty
Bahaha- are you referring to Reservoir Dogs?