The Phantom Pain confirmed to be Metal Gear Solid 5! (trailer inside)

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
As if there was any doubt on your mind, now we know that the mysterious Phantom Pain was indeed MGS5.

Also, Ground Zeroes = Metal Gear Solid 5 = The Phantom Pain.

So rather than being 2 seperate games, like some people believed, Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are one in the same. It will be released on both PS3, and 360.

http://www.destructoid.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-an-open-world-game-for-360-ps3-249805.phtml

As a huge fan of the franchise, I'm obviously excited as all fuck for this. The trailer seems to have given lots of hints as to what the story will entail, and it should be of no surprise: it seems batshit insane.

No release date as of yet. But I do have some curious concerns about this. Mainly the surprising fact that this game will be a current gen title, and here was thinking (Back when I thought that MGS5 and Ground Zeroes were 2 different games) that MGS5 would for-sure be a next-gen title.

And then there's the FOX engine. That trailer, and the FOX engine, was apparently running on a PC (Which also begs the questions if this will be coming out on PC? It's running on one already, so why not?) - That leaves me wondering how much of that visual awesomeness is going to translate to these old consoles? Unless the FOX engine is made of magic.

Anyway. Escapists. How do you feel about this?

captcha: spicy!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
As an MGS fan myself, I'm definitely excited as hell for it.

Disappointed that it looks like David Hayter might not be starring as Snake any more though D=

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816]

He was Snake.

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
Interesting, very interesting. Looks kinda cool, but I can't make an informed judgement without more content.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Now that I know what happens to Mother Base, I don't think 'Ill continue building it up. And if this is set 9 years after Peace Walker, Grey Fox should be in FOXHOUND. If FOXHOUND is in this game, Grey Fox will be in this game and if Grey Fox is in this game, this game will be excellent.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Andy Shandy said:

Disappointed that it looks like David Hayter might not be starring as Snake any more though D=

He was Snake.
Ah shit, I'm not sure how to feel about that.

According to more recent posts on his Twitter, he wasn't even asked to do it? That's... strange... Hayter's voice WAS Snake. Can they really be that ignorant? I wonder what the hell is going on.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Tohuvabohu said:
Andy Shandy said:

He was Snake.
Ah shit, I'm not sure how to feel about that.

According to more recent posts on his Twitter, he wasn't even asked to do it? That's... strange... Hayter's voice WAS Snake. Can they really be that ignorant? I wonder what the hell is going on.
Seems they can. IO/Square Enix were going to be getting someone else to voice Hitman in Absolution until they later hired him on again. And Ubisoft have done the same getting rid of Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher. Seems like no protagonists are going to have a distinctive voice any more, and will all become some mush. Probably voiced by Nolan North or Troy Baker (not that I don't enjoy some of their work, but they're everywhere!)

Although it also wouldn't surprise me if this was Kojima trolling everyone as per usual too.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
It's interesting to notice Zadornov's mechanical hand being used by Snake at the end of the trailer.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Ever since I saw the trailers months ago this is the only game I care about coming out. I am sooooooooooooooooo excited. This game will most likely bring together a lot of the story between big boss and solid snake.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Kind of on a tangent; but I love Metal Gear for all it's hubris and completely loony mythology; it's absolutely fascinating. Remains to be seen if it'll reach the lofty highs of the gameplay in MGS3 though.

Nice to see that we're finally going cross-platform as well; innaresting that Konami and Kojima aren't taking a bite into the next-gen consoles as well, proves that there's still a lot of potential in this generation, I'm all for that mindset.

Also, I'm not at all concerned about David Hayter not being in the cast; it's not like they're replacing Solid Snake's VA, I reckon it's a great opportunity to age Big Boss, aids his character growth into the villain from the original Metal Gear. I know it seems to be the guy's big gig, so to speak, but I'm sure even he wouldn't want to remain typecast as Solid Snake forever.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Andy Shandy said:

He was Snake.
What? No... No... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fuck you Konami! Bring back David Hayter!

OT: Um... So this is set after Peacewalker? I need to play some Peacewalker then.
Well, he will be voiced by Richard Doyle, which is the same guy who voiced him in MGS4. As much as I love David Hayter, I feel like this is the better direction to go. He is getting older, after all, and as much as David Hayter "is" Snake, Big Boss isn't. Well, not anymore.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Two guys, one whose ripped and half naked, riding on horse shooting a flaming unicorn and rider...

Rejoice: for the gayest and manliness things have come together as one, and it was awesome.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
Also, I'm not at all concerned about David Hayter not being in the cast; it's not like they're replacing Solid Snake's VA, I reckon it's a great opportunity to age Big Boss, aids his character growth into the villain from the original Metal Gear. I know it seems to be the guy's big gig, so to speak, but I'm sure even he wouldn't want to remain typecast as Solid Snake forever.
Well, to be fair David Hayter has done work as a scriptwriter for things like X-men and X2 and is working directing his first movie. I think him and other VAs tend to get around and do many things regardless. It just bothers me because it seems like Hayter himself was unaware he wasn't getting hired, and seemed upset that he thinks he's not going to be doing voice work for MGSV or anymore after that.

King Aragorn said:
I'm confused. Badly.
Anybody mind explaining this entire thing?
Well, there are going to be people analyzing the trailer in the next couple days I imagine, but I can try explaining since I've played every canon Metal Gear game. Also, if you go back and watch the Ground Zeroes trailer it helps explain things.

Sometime after Peace Walker, Chico is captured and Paz is revealed to be alive. The group who has them has the patch with XOF on it (and the reversed FOX logo). A scarred man who seems to be a leader of XOF makes it seem as if Chico is going to be a Trojan horse for when Big Boss comes rescue him.

Later, Mother Base is attacked and we see BB, Kaz, and an unnamed soldier escape via helicopter. At a hospital, BB goes into a coma and Kaz asks about the third person (who we seem to be seeing from first person at the beginning of the trailer).

9 years later, BB wakes up from his coma with his left arm missing only for the hospital to be attacked (possibly by XOF). During his escape, BB either hallucinates a ton due to his mental state, drugs, and just coming out of a coma, or because the girl we see later on has similar mental powers like Psycho Mantis. During his escape, his car crashes and the bandaged soldier we saw help BB escape is not shown.

At some point a guy who appears to be Ocelot shows up riding a horse (much like his mother, The Boss, did) and we see them riding away until a bridge collapses. Presumably at some point, BB reunites with Kaz and they form Diamond Dogs. Snake has something embedded in his forehead, and replaced his land hand with Zadornov's prosthetic one.

The Five Freedoms

Jan 16, 2013
Tohuvabohu said:
As if there was any doubt on your mind, now we know that the mysterious Phantom Pain was indeed MGS5.

Also, Ground Zeroes = Metal Gear Solid 5 = The Phantom Pain.

So rather than being 2 seperate games, like some people believed, Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are one in the same. It will be released on both PS3, and 360.
Actually that's not entirely accurate.

Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate entities. Ground Zeroes is a prologue to The Phantom Pain and bridges the gap between Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain. The Phantom Pain takes place 9 years after Ground Zeroes and is the main game.

Together, Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain make up Metal Gear Solid V. Think of them as being like the Tanker Chapter and Plant Chapter of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. They're two parts that make up a whole game and one of them is a prologue while the other is the main game.