The PlayStation 4 Will Allow Real-Name User IDs at Launch

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Maybe it's just me, but I NEVER feel comfortable with having my real name on any of my accounts.

Ever.

The last thing I need are people having one additional piece of information that they can use to locate me in real life.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
rasputin0009 said:
Imagine if taking away anonymity helps people become less assholish. I think it will. It's not too often somebody puts racial slurs on Facebook, and when they do, they're usually called out on it.
But the fact that you said people still do that on Facebook with their real names attached signifies that they don't and won't give a shit either way.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
I'm among the people that really don't care either way. I feel there's places I'd rather not be known by my actual name, but the PSN isn't really one of those. Facebook I've never had problems with, but then again I rarely used it. Places like Youtube and 4Chan however are filled with the dredge of humanity, and I'd rather not give them anything to harass me with.

So I might actually use it, as long as the username is still shown... which is how it's shown on the image in the article. I really have nothing to hide, and letting people know my real name I don't find particularly harmful. Also whether you like it or not, the system will start teaching users to simply not trust those that don't use their real name. Whether you do it because you'd rather be an anonymous ass or just because you're paranoid... doesn't matter, because people will see you hiding your real name and instantly be wary of you.

It's a lot like caller ID. If the number's blocked or hidden, I doubt many of you actually answer it... because you know it signifies illicit behavior.