The Plight of the Masters

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Wait wait wait. You mean I could've been getting nVidia money for all that time I've spent pleasuring burly men in truck stops??

FML.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Good thing I enjoy tweaking. The only thing I don't really enjoy is freezing or crashing.

Some of those new Nvidia effects look better if they're turned off. Devs always seem to turn the bloom up too high. Still, you can turn them on or off so any visual problems you get are usually a result of your own meddling. It's kind of like making your own bed and shitting in it, if that's how the expression goes.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Good thing PC gamers dont actually freak out if one frame is lost.

I opened up a can of worms, didn't I?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Wait, what? You can actually get paid for pleasuring burly men at truck stops instead of doing it for free?

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Paradox SuXcess said:
Good thing PC gamers dont actually freak out if one frame is lost.

I opened up a can of worms, didn't I?
it's like the size of Alaska too.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Teoes said:
Wait wait wait. You mean I could've been getting nVidia money for all that time I've spent pleasuring burly men in truck stops??

FML.
J Tyran said:
Wait, what? You can actually get paid for pleasuring burly men at truck stops instead of doing it for free?
I thought y'all were some kinda charity.
Thanks all the same, though.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I guess I'm just less picky about frame rate than most. I can tolerate pretty abysmal rates. I used to play WoT at 14fps...

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
This actually hits close to home. Hardware monitors, FPS counters, input devices and their features, technologies of all kinds. Constantly tweaking to get it all to work at once for "the best experience".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, maybe it's because I'm a filthy console peasant, but when I'm playing league and it drops from 60 FPS to 30 FPS, I'm too busy focusing on the game to notice.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This is why I wait 5 years between hits. So it's like the first time, every time! Sure, 5 years is a long time but if the last console cycle taught us anything, it's that if PC game developers want to reach a wider market, they have to construct their games in such a way so that it can be ported over without too much of a dip in graphical fidelity. Hence, when new consoles come out, there's a sizeable shift in PC graphics as well and the hardware is already there, waiting to be used, at reasonable prices.

Oh and 120FPS? What are you using, one of those shitty TN panels with their dithering? Come on over to the IPS side, it's better here!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I decided to unlock my framerate on FF14 with all the settings maxed and found myself quite frustrated by the alternating frame rates jumping and dipping between 60 and 150. I prefer to have a solid 60fps that to have it changing all the time. I lock WoW at 100fps for the same reason.

Alternating framerates can be just as horrible as falling into the sub 30 zone.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
VanQ said:
I decided to unlock my framerate on FF14 with all the settings maxed and found myself quite frustrated by the alternating frame rates jumping and dipping between 60 and 150. I prefer to have a solid 60fps that to have it changing all the time. I lock WoW at 100fps for the same reason.

Alternating framerates can be just as horrible as falling into the sub 30 zone.
It's not just the alternation, a constant 70 fps is worse than 60 fps. The greater number of frames is fairly negligible, but the offset between the frame-rate and the screen refresh-rate is very noticeable.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Teoes said:

FML.
Don't lie to us. You did it cause it made you feel alive.

OT: Yeah, I turn those damn FPS counters off when I play on the PC. I play at 60 fps-ish, and only turn it on when the game is brand new and I'm optimizing for 60.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
You've got to remember that the alternative is a console that will never play some games at 60 fps. When my PC gets too old I spend a couple hundred bucks and slap them in the existing PC with the occasional MOBO/CPU replacement depending on demands which haven't increased that much lately.

So after the sunk cost the upkeep is generally quite low to keep the machine running better than a console whereas the only way to fix a console is to buy a new one for a lot more money. A $400 video card though? That's a lot of eye candy.

But I prefer my console for living room entertainment. I feel like there's give and take for both setups from initial cost and customizability to ease of use and multiplayer compatibility. I wouldn't want to slap my powerful PC in my living room but I also wouldn't want my console to be in my office. Very different atmospheres and purposes.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Remus said:
Oh and 120FPS? What are you using, one of those shitty TN labels with their dithering? Come on over to the IPS side, it's better here!
Got a 144Hz higher end TN panel myself with lighting fast response time and really low latency, after getting it calibrated the colours are almost as accurate as a mid range general purpose IPS monitor. I only use the PC for gaming so for me the experience is worth a slight loss in colour accuracy, an IPS panel with the same kind of latency and response time and capable of 144Hz is just over 4X the price.

It's a trade off.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
I really don't understand what's the big deal with Frames Per Second in video games nowadays.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Wait, you consider the ability to reduce graphics settings to extend the gaming-lifespan of your computer to be a bad thing?