The popularity of Twilight and the disturbing implications herein

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
Nietzsche is fine, but not when I'm just looking for entertainment without the vast cerebreal committment that Nietzsche demands.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
ButtonedDownParadox post=18.71967.743100 said:
kelnadine post=18.71967.743060 said:
Razzle Bathbone post=18.71967.743029 said:
Dude, they patiently suffer through it when you drool over whoever the latest OMGHOT videogame blow-up doll is. I've never read Twilight, and I can't imagine it's all that good, but I seriously doubt the Twilight dream-boys can be any more vacuous and irritating than your typical videogame dream-girl.
Thank you. I was thinking it, and you said it.
Oh well how polite of you. To respond to my understanding with assuming I, "drool over the latest videogame blow-up doll". How about you make an actual defense of the Twilight series as I actually want to know what the deal is with this phenomena. I mean am I off-base by saying these characters are petty and illogical? Did I miss something? Is it damaging to aspire to the dysfunctional relationship Bella and Edward have like some fan boy/girls do?

As you may have noticed I haven't judged you like you have judged me and that's because I actually want to hear the other side of the issue.
So terribly sorry. I wrote that post under the assumption that you are a human being. All humans get attached to things from time to time, and some of those attachments end up seeming rather embarrassing in hindsight.

If you're actually some kinda robot, then my apologies for the presumption. If you are a human, and also claim not to have gotten attached to something really dumb at some point in your life, you are lying. We've all done it. My point was that it's hypocritical and silly to get all bent out of shape over someone else's wish-fulfillment fantasies, when yours (and mine and everyone else's) are ultimately no less ridiculous.

MarcusStrout

Sep 20, 2008
I believe it was a witty and original take on vampire folklore, taking into account many different myths and tales, making it a multi-faceted gem of today's

BAHAHAHAHAHAH ok sorry, but that's sort of what I hear from the more-intelligent-but-not-smart-enough-not-to-read-it ppl in my community. I mean, honestly, it belongs on the shelf next to the last 3 books of the Harry Potter series, the Inheritance Trilogy (got sucked into that one too, much to my chagrin) and probably the last made (first chronologically) 3 Star Wars movies.

And the shelves are in Hell.

On fire.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
I have a friend who is absolutely bat-shit-bonkers for this book series and who just wouldn't shut up about "Twilight-this" and "Edward Cullen-that." So I says to her "Listen, if I read the first book will you PLEASE stop talking about them? At least to me?" It'll be worth it so she'll shut up, right?

WRONG!

Reading this book is comparable to shutting your head in an oven door, but with more burning sensation.

The premise sucks. The characters suck. The "vampires" suck. The setting sucks. The villain sucks. The only good part is at the end when that Bella ***** gets the tar beat out of her. That was great.

It's really and truly a terrible book and makes me hope that the entire "romantic vampire" genre dies a long, slow, agonizing, wooden-stake induced death.

I want my three hours of life back, please.

ButtonedDownParadox

Aug 11, 2008
Razzle Bathbone post=18.71967.743790 said:
Dude, they patiently suffer through it when you drool over whoever the latest OMGHOT videogame blow-up doll is. I've never read Twilight, and I can't imagine it's all that good, but I seriously doubt the Twilight dream-boys can be any more vacuous and irritating than your typical videogame dream-girl.
Oh well how polite of you. To respond to my understanding with assuming I, "drool over the latest videogame blow-up doll". How about you make an actual defense of the Twilight series as I actually want to know what the deal is with this phenomena. I mean am I off-base by saying these characters are petty and illogical? Did I miss something? Is it damaging to aspire to the dysfunctional relationship Bella and Edward have like some fan boy/girls do?

As you may have noticed I haven't judged you like you have judged me and that's because I actually want to hear the other side of the issue.
So terribly sorry. I wrote that post under the assumption that you are a human being. All humans get attached to things from time to time, and some of those attachments end up seeming rather embarrassing in hindsight.

If you're actually some kinda robot, then my apologies for the presumption. If you are a human, and also claim not to have gotten attached to something really dumb at some point in your life, you are lying. We've all done it. My point was that it's hypocritical and silly to get all bent out of shape over someone else's wish-fulfillment fantasies, when yours (and mine and everyone else's) are ultimately no less ridiculous.
Ohhh! By videogame blow-up doll you actually meant ANYTHING. I must admit my assumption skills are a little under yours. Okay. Wellll. I do get somewhat devoted to a season of 24. But I can also admit the show does get really stupid and illogical at times. So much so I didn't even bother finishing season 6. Never have I went on to say it's the best thing ever filmed nor have I ever longed to be like Jack Bauer. I think snapping necks and generally getting betrayed would get to a man after a while.

Guess striving to be my own individual instead of a fictional character makes me a robot. What else would you like to tell me about me?

ButtonedDownParadox

Aug 11, 2008
kelnadine post=18.71967.743355 said:

Sorry, I left for a while so I'm responding to this late. I didn't mean you in particular when I said that. In the same way guys get mad at girls for wanting a guy as perfect as Edward Cullen, girls have to deal with guys wanting perfect girls. I was thinking about that, somebody made a post about it, so I responded. Honestly, it wasn't personal. I know that it's far from all guys who are like that.
Ahh. I should probably expand this to include guys who try and get in a fight after seeing a Bruce Lee movie or whatever and the dangerous implications of FANTASY. Whether it be being horribly mauled in a bar fight or disappointing yourself when you seek a man who sparkles in sunlight and generally can do no wrong (And that's because you're not allowed to have independent thoughts).

But out of curiosity...what makes Edward Cullen perfect? And also what do you mean guys seek a perfect girl? Physically? Because from what I know they can be pretty simple-minded in what they want in the opposite sex... (Not that I mean to generalize but if you ask a drunken fratboy what he wants in a girl it's not going to be whether she's a fan of Descarte or what have you)

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
I was thinking about reading these books. This thread has saved me from what appears to be what could only be described as taking an interesting idea and ripping its guts out in such a terrible way that it makes you want to avoid anything remotely like it. So, I understand that this series is apparantly so awful that it is the definition of terrible, but could somebody explain to me what makes it so horrible in more detail?

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
I read the first book, and I really hated the girl's obsession with the vampire.

Also what's with all the vampire stuff these days?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
After reading this thread, I did a bit of research and even talked to some fans about the contents of this series.

The Vampires sparkle, and eat endangered wild animals.

Somehow she gets pregnant, and having the baby snaps her spine, so they have to make her into a vampire. That Sparkles.

I had to sit down and cry for a while.

kelnadine

May 18, 2008
ButtonedDownParadox post=18.71967.744088 said:
kelnadine post=18.71967.743355 said:

Sorry, I left for a while so I'm responding to this late. I didn't mean you in particular when I said that. In the same way guys get mad at girls for wanting a guy as perfect as Edward Cullen, girls have to deal with guys wanting perfect girls. I was thinking about that, somebody made a post about it, so I responded. Honestly, it wasn't personal. I know that it's far from all guys who are like that.
Ahh. I should probably expand this to include guys who try and get in a fight after seeing a Bruce Lee movie or whatever and the dangerous implications of FANTASY. Whether it be being horribly mauled in a bar fight or disappointing yourself when you seek a man who sparkles in sunlight and generally can do no wrong (And that's because you're not allowed to have independent thoughts).

But out of curiosity...what makes Edward Cullen perfect? And also what do you mean guys seek a perfect girl? Physically? Because from what I know they can be pretty simple-minded in what they want in the opposite sex... (Not that I mean to generalize but if you ask a drunken fratboy what he wants in a girl it's not going to be whether she's a fan of Descarte or what have you)
From what I've seen in my experience...yeah, physical perfection is a big part of it, but more than that, too. A lot of them want a girl who looks perfect and has just the right personality, with no flaws, when in reality, that just doesn't exist and girls feel bad that they can't be that way.

As for Edward Cullen's perfection...eh, it's sort of like that, actually. Sure, he's described like a god...unable to die, physically beautiful...but more than that, he's a big contrast from the guys girls interact with every day. He's got an old soul, and old fashioned view on things. He isn't very interested in sex, for one thing. He's interested in -her-, her personality, her soul. He also chose a girl who isn't necessarily beautiful, when he could have had the prettiest girl on earth. It's a fantasy for girls that they'll never have in real life, so they enjoy it in the story by living through Bella.

So yeah. Basically it's girls having unrealistic expectations, but it's harmless. They (at least the sane ones) know it's just a story.

Hybrid_Element

Sep 20, 2008
(This might be the result of slighty worry and pure bitterness as I am also an aspiring writer)

As a girl, I have to say that I do not dare touch the Twilight series. Since it has come out, I've had many people 'demand' I read it but I only stick out my tounge at them. I'm into fantasy, not romance and yes, it's nice that Edward sparkles, I kinda think that's neat, and I do enjoy gore, but not romance. (Perhaps if it was fantastic gay, lezzie, or even well done girlxguy romance I'd be singing a diffrent tune...)

I respect those that like Twilght while still happily screaming in terror in my head whenever I see the book (which my grandmother has all of them so it is quite horrorfying to live here ^.^;)

I'll probably attempt to read them later (perhaps after I publish my own book) but after attempting to read Host, another book by the same author, I can't promise much...

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Hmm...

I was vaguely intrigued at the concept of this series at first, but I believe the constant shrill praises of it have driven me away. Next person that tells me about "Sparkling" will get The Wheel of Time upside the face. ALL OF THEM.

ButtonedDownParadox

Aug 11, 2008
kelnadine post=18.71967.744526 said:
ButtonedDownParadox post=18.71967.744088 said:

From what I've seen in my experience...yeah, physical perfection is a big part of it, but more than that, too. A lot of them want a girl who looks perfect and has just the right personality, with no flaws, when in reality, that just doesn't exist and girls feel bad that they can't be that way.

As for Edward Cullen's perfection...eh, it's sort of like that, actually. Sure, he's described like a god...unable to die, physically beautiful...but more than that, he's a big contrast from the guys girls interact with every day. He's got an old soul, and old fashioned view on things. He isn't very interested in sex, for one thing. He's interested in -her-, her personality, her soul. He also chose a girl who isn't necessarily beautiful, when he could have had the prettiest girl on earth. It's a fantasy for girls that they'll never have in real life, so they enjoy it in the story by living through Bella.

So yeah. Basically it's girls having unrealistic expectations, but it's harmless. They (at least the sane ones) know it's just a story.
I don't know if I agree with you on that point. A guy doesn't usually know what he wants. I mean they'll ogle at a pretty girl. No two ways about that. But in my experience when it comes down to it guys just don't care really. I find the perceptions a gender has about the other fascinating. I'll read some article about the best hundred ways to please your significant other and it usually amounts to some bullshit like, "Notice when they have a new haircut" or, "spontaneously hug them from behind when passing by".

It's this vapid con game of romance that I see in use in books like Twilight and people buying into it that just...I don't know. Makes me downright cynical.

I also don't buy into Edward and Bella's relationship being love. You say how he "loves" HER as in her personality or whatever. I would argue Bella doesn't have a personality. According to a friend of mine Stephanie Meyers even wrote Bella as a blank slate so the reader could insert themselves. So if that's true this, as you said, is just some harmless escapism and not any serious work of fiction like many Twilight fans claim it to be.

So again I have to say I find it disturbing when young people read this book and see this escapism and build their conceptions of what love is based on it. I would never suggest it be banned from libraries or burned or whatever. In the end I'm just bitching. There's no need to take it to heart though. You seem on the level.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
ButtonedDownParadox post=18.71967.744066 said:
Guess striving to be my own individual instead of a fictional character makes me a robot. What else would you like to tell me about me?
Well, since you asked.
You're a bit hypersensitive, you worry too much about other people's fantasy lives, and you take yourself too seriously for your own good. By overcoming these things, you will become happier and healthier and more fun to be around.

Any other questions?

ButtonedDownParadox

Aug 11, 2008
Razzle Bathbone post=18.71967.744749 said:
ButtonedDownParadox post=18.71967.744066 said:
Well, since you asked.
You're a bit hypersensitive, you worry too much about other people's fantasy lives, and you take yourself too seriously for your own good. By overcoming these things, you will become happier and healthier and more fun to be around.

Any other questions?
Drooling over pixels, then a robot, and now hypersensitive. *Shrugs* No I don't see why I would have any questions. I will say I loved The Princess Bride as well though.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
LewsTherin post=18.71967.744766 said:
Razzle Bathbone post=18.71967.744749 said:
Any other questions?
Where did you get your avatar pic?

I mean, really?
I wish I could take credit for it, but it's one of those images that has been floating around the internet for years and years. I just swiped it as have so many others before me.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
ButtonedDownParadox post=18.71967.744855 said:
Drooling over pixels, then a robot, and now hypersensitive. *Shrugs* No I don't see why I would have any questions.
Since I assumed you were a human, not a robot, I'd say I was at least two-for-three, and probably better.

All right, look. My first post on this thread wasn't directed exclusively at you, but at everyone who's foolish enough to get upset about some silly vampire books for girls. I came on too aggressively, and I'm sorry. I was annoyed at the obvious double standard ("it's okay for boys to have messed-up fantasies, but when girls do it, that's icky"), but that's no excuse. It was the wrong way to go about it.

Everyone's fantasy life looks bizarre to others. Yours and mine included. I don't need to know anything about you (other than the fact that you're not a robot) to know this. We've all had crushes on fictional characters from books, games, TV, movies, comics or other places. If you haven't actually drooled over Lara or Ivy or whoever, you've had fantasies that are just as repulsive to someone.

We all live in the same glass house. I'm just saying that it's a dumb idea to throw stones. Though I did say it rather more obnoxiously than was strictly necessary.

ButtonedDownParadox post=18.71967.744855 said:
I will say I loved The Princess Bride as well though.
Well, at least we can agree on something. :)

I really don't feel good about upsetting you. I get worked up about dumb stuff sometimes too, and I count on my friends to call bullshit on me when I do. I hope there are no hard feelings.