The power is out...

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well if the power doesn't come back on within a minute or two so that I can just go back to using my Xbox/laptop I usually just use my phone for accessing the internet until the power comes back on. If my phone dies before the power comes back on then I read. If it's been about two or so hours since I started reading then I'm just going to stop and go to bed and nap/sleep because there's fuck all else I can do after that point.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Hooray for me and my laptop. :) Once that runs out of power i guess i would become feral and start attacking strangers.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Play my 3DS :D

Honestly it tends to go out at night. Though it did cut for an hour or two when I was at work the other day and that was a complete nightmare.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Kinitawowi said:
1) Curse. The power goes out regularly at my house - the electricity is on a meter and it means somebody didn't top it up, again.

2) Curse some more. Every time my PC cuts out because of a power cut, it nukes all the internet cookies and I have to go round manually logging back into everything again.

3) If the power is still out at this point (usually by now somebody's put the emergency electric in), grab my DS.
For that PC issue you need one of those external power supplies with a battery in it so you get a good hour out of it even if the power blacks out.

Cannot remember what they're called.... -google-

UPS that's it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
Yup. Around day three I was already going nuts and cursing whoever was doing the "repairs", and thinking they were incompetent, not even stopping to realize that it's something that rarely happens in my area of the state, especially the southern tip where my university was.

At least my food kept cold in refrigerator with the power out, since it was so cold. So, it kept my cheap frozen food cold(staple of a university student's diet) but I couldn't cook said food, I was stuck eating really cold sandwiches and snacks that I wouldn't count as meals.
Yeah, keeping your food cool is nice. Two years ago I got flooded in Irene, and the fact was it was warm as HELL out. They were estimating power returning in anywhere between four days and a week, so as soon as the water level was down enough for me to leave I jumped ship. Thankfully, I have family nearby, and they still had power.

Unfortunately, I could only save the food I could carry.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
So Escapists, when the unthinkable happens and your power goes out, what do you do? Are you ill-prepared like myself so you can't even read or anything due to no light? Do you have everything you need and can function like normal? Did you accidentally kill Aunt Gladis 50 minutes into the power outage because you assumed she turned into a zombie?

TLDR? (I don't blame you): What do you do when the power goes out?
I cant remember the last power cut. Its so rare in the UK. I thought that was a perk of living in civilisation. I have candles, plenty of books and board games. With a 5 year old there are plenty of toys too. I think Id survive.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Call the power company and complain til it gets fixed or I get a credit on my bill. Why? Because around here it happens a lot when it rains and the company is too cheap to fix the infrastructure. I don't think its right to pay the exorbitant fees when they can't even fix the lines properly and demanding a credit is justified.
I swear with what they charge they should have the flow to put in some decent work.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I am very ill-prepared. I have a flashlight in my drawer next to my bed, and my phone should be able to light my way there.

I have a few lighters laying around, but other than that, I am doomed if something happens (actually no, I would probably give me more than enough reason to kill one of those pesky deers who are eating all of our flower-garden!).

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Handhelds mostly.

I hate it when the power's out. The lack of humming from electronics and fans makes me uncomfortable, to the point of making it hard to sleep.

My flashlight is one of the motion rotary powered ones so I never have to worry about light at least.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I have candles and my cellphone usually have a reasonable ammount of energy left for me to hear the radio so I'm pretty much set.

I do, however, like to stay at the window and watch the movement outside, mainly the cars passing by. If it is night, it's even better as I check the sky to spot some stars.
It kinda sucks as we pretty much need electricity for everything nowadays but I welcome the (hopefully) quick break to slow the pace of life.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
The internet is so hard-wired (EDIT: OH GODS THE ACCIDENTAL PUNS) into my spare time I think I'd spend the first fifteen minutes of my life going through the "I'll look up my internet problems on Google!" logic-loop. Christ knows what would happen if the whole power went out too.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'll listen to music. And probably sleep.

If I couldn't do anything with an electronic device involved? Read.

Yeah.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
spend 5 minutes being confused, spend 1 hour finishing the rubix cube as many times as possible during this period, finish my bottle of whiskey once finished with the cube and when all else fails go to sleep...

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Well ... there is a few things I can do if it does go out.

My top priority would be my 3DS ... until it runs out of battery.
My second option would probably be reading ... until I run out of candles or light source. (or books)
Third option ... ugh sleep, unless I just had an energy for some weird reason.
... then screwing around I guess?

And then eventually madness.
... until I find out that my large movie collection requires organisation.

Cat Cloud

Aug 12, 2010
You must be from the Twin Cities.

I always keep my laptop, phone, and 3DS charged, so there's always gaming to be done. If those fail me, I still have flashlights and books.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
I'd go out, get liquor, and get hammered. The last time however, was Hurricane Irene and that meant I could do fuck all. So I dug out an old book light and read like two books.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Play a game, read a book/comic or haunt the neighbourhood until the power comes on and then begin a witch hunt for myself so they never suspect it was me.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Depending on the lighting, light some candles. Then try to read by candlelight without setting the books on fire.

Hope my iPod is charged enough to outlast the blackout.

Maybe play cards if there's enough people around.