The Problem with Sonic

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Everyone knows it, I know it, you know it, Sonic the Hedgehog has been falling short as a successful franchise. Everyone still says however that the original 2D adventures of the blue hedgehog still remain classics to this day. Why is that?

Quite frankly it's because Sonic's games have gotten slower. Oh no Sonic has definately speeded up over the years to the point where you actually can't control him but that doesn't speed up the game. Sega's original plan was to have a speedy game where you got through the levels in fast-paced, high speed action. But now there's so much faffing about and features of the game that just break the flow and ultimately slow the game down.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 is deemed by far the WORST Sonic title ever to exist, that even Sega have removed it's events from the cannon plot. It was also the most cinematic game ever to exist in Sonic's franchise history too. Now cinematics aren't bad, so long as they're used in the right context and don't take up too much time. In 06 they drained the life out of the game, ultimately destroying the flow of the game and defacating on it's corpse.

And the other Sonic games have only further proven this. When Sonic the Hedgehog 4 came out, critics called it a return to the classics, a step in the right direction. There was minimal plot, the game just got on with it, it was an alright game. Nothing ground-breaking of course, but a step in the right direction. Sonic Colours also took it in that direction too. The level design was improved and ran easier, you didn't die every 5 seconds, it was again another step forward. Yes it did include cinematics but they only lasted up to a minute usually, thus not breaking the flow (plus the tone was a LOT less serious and had some funny moments). It wasn't the best game but it proved a 3D sonic game had the potential to be done well.

I'm not saying the over-focus on story is what ultimately made Sonic stagnate, but it doesn't help. In a perfect world, Sega would move on and try to reinvent the Sonic game with another genre, but it isn't that world. However if Sonic ever wants to have a chance of being good again, Sega need to stop breaking the flow of the game. Bad level design, heavy plot, anything slowing the game down needs to go. Instead of making Sonic faster Sega, you need to let the game catch up, you don't need a speedy Sonic to make the game faster.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I don't agree. 2d Sonic games were not actually "faster", they were just marketed that way along with blast processing, whatever that is. The only "fast" parts were when you ran down a loop or rolled through a tunnel, and those parts were pretty much out of your control. None of the actual platforming involved speed, and felt slower and less urgent than a Mario game.

I haven't played all of the modern Sonic games, but from the ones I know, the biggest issue I had is with the pacing of the gameplay, the unresponsiveness of the controls (one of the most important things that made the original Sonic games fun), shitty camera angles, and what I guess is a lack of playtesting to make sure it's fun. Plots aren't adding anything of value, either. I played some Gameboy game called Sonic Rush, and although fast, it was a terrible experience. The camera was so far in that it felt almost claustrophobic, and gave you no time to react to obstacles or enemies. It was really frustrating.

The Gatherer

Jul 7, 2011
Being of the correct generation to appreciate the original sonic games for what they were I am in complete agreement with you on this one and feel the need to draw attention to the upcoming sonic generations. The demo has recently been released upon us and I for one feel it is a triumphant return to form for the blue spikey one. Omitting the second act of the demo on the grounds that its just more of the same next gen sonic rubbish, my focus here is on the first act 're-Imagining' of green hill zone. This is what sonic team should have been gunning for since it became startlingly clear that the 'new' sonic was not what fans were expecting from them. In this case, simplicity reigns as the format returns to fast paced side scrolling but kept fresh with momentary perspective shifts and tastefully small new introductions such as the robotnik springs and hazard warning signs. Now, if they can keep this formula going without introducing any of the 'other' sonic elements, we might have something special on our hands

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
... You ever actually play Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Colors, mate?

Seems like everybody's perceptions of the Sonic franchise ends somewhere around 2006, after which folks stopped paying attention beyond dismissing the newer games due to silly gimmicks and cartoony tone.

If I'm being honest, Unleashed and Colors, werehog notwithstanding, are some of the best Sonic games I've played to date, Genesis and Sonic Adventure titles included. I could stand to see them take it a bit more seriously, skew it a little closer to SA1 and maybe cut one or two intentionally corny lines, but it seems like SEGA's found something they're focused on, are getting closer to giving the Sonic games a solid and unique sense of identity, and that they're having fun making these games again--which is all I could ever ask for.

I'm not sure what "problem" you're talking about in the title, specifically, but I'd be curious to know what perfect Sonic game you're imagining in your head.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
I agree, there. One more thing? Classic Sonic games don't have three things:
--un-skippable, pre-rendered anything between levels*
--Quick-time events of the "Light-speed" or "Survive the cut-scene" variety.
--More than three protagonists or antagonists.*
If everybody has to explain who--what they are, it gets messy, and the flow is broken.
*The cutscene at the beginning of Knuckles and Sonic was pre-rendered, but not between levels.