The PS4 Won't Support DualShock 3 Controllers

Hairless Mammoth

New member
Jan 23, 2013
1,595
0
0
Five bucks says that most games in the years to come won't use the touch pad except to go back to the playstation menu, and the share button could be replaced by a menu option. Someone, if not Sony, could release a hack/dongle/update that let's you use the Dualshock 3 at least in games. When you got friends over to play Nazi, Commie, or Banana Republic Zombies why buy another $50 hunk of plastic that will get 3-8 hours of use a month when you have a functionally identical one sitting by the tv collecting dust. It's a waste of money and resources to do this. I use my original 360 controller for xbox and any pc games that don't work with a mouse. I love that concept. Why make us buy more junk? We don't need it, and the planet doesn't need it either. Is the new Dualshock using a different wireless protocol? I doubt it. Bluetooth should have bandwidth for Dualshock3 with a touchpad added on. Are you really gouging us with up marketing those controller prices, Sony? A little for sure, but that's standard business for any corporation today.

Sony just let us use a PS3 controller. It gives your new and unproven system brownie points with budget minded PS3 owners that play local mutliplayer who don't play Move junk.
 

dragongit

New member
Feb 22, 2011
1,075
0
0
Ummmm... not to be "that guy" but people do realize the system will come with it's own controller right?It isn't like we're going to have to buy it seperatly. We all claim social gaming is a redundant concept, so I assume many of us don't play with a lot of people locally anyway. So... whats the big issue? We won't be able to carry over our old controller. Heaven forbid we'll get 1 free one with the console.
 

Timmey

New member
May 29, 2010
297
0
0
dragongit said:
Ummmm... not to be "that guy" but people do realize the system will come with it's own controller right?It isn't like we're going to have to buy it seperatly. We all claim social gaming is a redundant concept, so I assume many of us don't play with a lot of people locally anyway. So... whats the big issue? We won't be able to carry over our old controller. Heaven forbid we'll get 1 free one with the console.
Couldn't agree more, talk about a bloody storm in a teacup.
 

Owyn_Merrilin

New member
May 22, 2010
7,370
0
0
Dangit, Sony, what happened? Now and then I think of when I used your products. Like the PS2 which made me glad enough to cry. I told myself that you were right for me. But started drifting from your company. But it was fun and it's a time I still remember. You can get addicted to a certain kind of madness. Like low cost systems with awesome software. But then you charged a huge amount. Destroyed a truly great cash cow. And I'll admit that I was sad that it was over. But you didn't have to go that way. Make out like graphics were the only thing that mattered. And I don't even need your stuff, but you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough. No you didn't have to drop so low, have your investors sell their shares and then say you're dying. I guess that I don't need you though, now you're just some company I used to know.

Yes, That was a Gotye parody. Their cheap headphones are still awesome, too. I'm not going to be sad to see the console division go at this point, since they can't seem to figure out why the PS1 and PS2 were successful, but not the PS3 (hint: Nintendo is doing exactly what they did back in the day, to great success). But I will be sad to see whatever division makes the headphones die, because their $10-$15 earbuds are better than any other company's products below about the $30 mark, and there are many things I would rather spend $30 on than a pair of earbuds.
 

PoolCleaningRobot

New member
Mar 18, 2012
1,237
0
0
A little dissapoint but honestly... I never use my second controller except as a replacement when one needs to be charged *tear of loneliness shed*. Besides, nobody ever has that many controllers anyway. I usually share if I have to, and same as I did with all my consoles. Hell, if you can't afford one $50 controller then you need to space out your purchases
 

eltonborges

New member
Apr 25, 2008
55
0
0
Wii can use the Gamecube's controller. Wii U uses Wii controller. So, someone did it before. But this is not the thing that clicked in my primate mind: The Vita is compatible with the PSOne/PSP games in the SEN/PSN, but this new console will not be compatible with anything? Sony was not capable to bring PSOne/PS2 or PSP compatibility for this new console? I understand if they said that my wonderful copy of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is not going to work, but they are telling me the same for my Twisted Metal Black, my Slap Happy Rhythm Busters. And this can't be possible. I can't believe that a machine like the one they said they have can't run my PsOne and PS2 games.
 

CriticalMiss

New member
Jan 18, 2013
2,024
0
0
Next up, Sony announce the PS4 will not be compatible with electricity, HDTVs or Human eyes.

But this isn't THAT big of a deal. How many consoles have shipped without a controller? Certainly the last generation gave you at least one so it isn't like the PS4 will be unplayable without an extra purchase.
 

Madmanonfire

New member
Jul 24, 2009
301
0
0
IamQ said:
Why would it? No other console has supported the previous ones' controller
SonOfVoorhees said:
But isnt that the case with all consoles anyway? :)
I'm less concerned about not being able to use ps3 controllers and more about the apparent fact that people think this. It's like they never heard of the Wii or WiiU, and other examples others posted.
 

Atmos Duality

New member
Mar 3, 2010
8,473
0
0
So they ditch compatibility with the GOOD controller, but make it backwards compatible with the useless GIMMICK controller...
Jeez. From the elegant simplicity and value of the PS2 to THIS.

The fuck happened Sony?
 

piinyouri

New member
Mar 18, 2012
2,708
0
0
Strange, for everything they announce in the systems favor they announce something bad as well.
 

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
395
0
0
Timmey said:
dragongit said:
Ummmm... not to be "that guy" but people do realize the system will come with it's own controller right?It isn't like we're going to have to buy it seperatly. We all claim social gaming is a redundant concept, so I assume many of us don't play with a lot of people locally anyway. So... whats the big issue? We won't be able to carry over our old controller. Heaven forbid we'll get 1 free one with the console.
Couldn't agree more, talk about a bloody storm in a teacup.
Storm in a teacup, sounds like almost every gamer outrage ever.
 

Timmey

New member
May 29, 2010
297
0
0
Carsus Tyrell said:
Timmey said:
dragongit said:
Ummmm... not to be "that guy" but people do realize the system will come with it's own controller right?It isn't like we're going to have to buy it seperatly. We all claim social gaming is a redundant concept, so I assume many of us don't play with a lot of people locally anyway. So... whats the big issue? We won't be able to carry over our old controller. Heaven forbid we'll get 1 free one with the console.
Couldn't agree more, talk about a bloody storm in a teacup.
Storm in a teacup, sounds like almost every gamer outrage ever.
Haha true enough, still interesting to see what gets people going.
 
Jan 22, 2011
450
0
0
IamQ said:
Why would it? No other console has supported the previous ones' controller
Sega genesis supported Sega master controllers/light guns with the power base converter that made it backwards compatible.
ps1 original or dual shock and memory cards would work on a ps2
ps3 has a external adapters for memory cards and controllers that works to transfer saves and use controllers for backwards compatibly "when the system first launched"
the wii allowed you to use game-cube controllers/memory card slots built in
The Wiiu allows you to use all of your old wii controllers, accessories and plays Wii games and even transfer over all of your virtual console games via wifi from your old wii.

So in short sony goofed up by not letting their blue-tooth/sixaxs wireless controller work with their new system.

Atmos Duality said:
So they ditch compatibility with the GOOD controller, but make it backwards compatible with the useless GIMMICK controller...
Jeez. From the elegant simplicity and value of the PS2 to THIS.

The fuck happened Sony?
As a loyal sony fan with over combined 350 ps1/ps2/ps3/psp games I don't know, they lost a customer in me.
 

IamQ

New member
Mar 29, 2009
5,226
0
0
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
IamQ said:
Why would it? No other console has supported the previous ones' controller
Sega genesis supported Sega master controllers/light guns with the power base converter that made it backwards compatible.
ps1 original or dual shock and memory cards would work on a ps2
ps3 has a external adapters for memory cards and controllers that works to transfer saves and use controllers for backwards compatibly "when the system first launched"
the wii allowed you to use game-cube controllers/memory card slots built in
The Wiiu allows you to use all of your old wii controllers, accessories and plays Wii games and even transfer over all of your virtual console games via wifi from your old wii.

So in short sony goofed up by not letting their blue-tooth/sixaxs wireless controller work with their new system.
I meant, no previous playstation console has supported the previous controller
 

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
6,092
0
0
dragongit said:
Ummmm... not to be "that guy" but people do realize the system will come with it's own controller right?It isn't like we're going to have to buy it seperatly. We all claim social gaming is a redundant concept, so I assume many of us don't play with a lot of people locally anyway. So... whats the big issue? We won't be able to carry over our old controller. Heaven forbid we'll get 1 free one with the console.
You have mixed social gaming and multiplayer here.

Social gaming is mostly used about games on Facebook or games where you spend more time sharing your accomplishments than playing the game. Multiplayer is a feature people still like. However I am not going to get angry with Sony because of lack of compatibility. They make a new controller which works in a different way than the old one Of course the old one which lacks this feature wont be compatible with the new one.

At least these arguments back and forth prior to its release is great entertainment.
 

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
11,597
0
0
Again, this is why I game on a PC. Providing you have the OS and hardware, you can play anything. Silly Sony.

I can't wait to see what hackers do to the PS4, the hardware is just itching for Linux.
 

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
2,800
269
88
I wonder sometimes how old some of these PC dudes are. The quarter inch curly cable keyboards and parralel port mice (or heck, trackballs) all got phased out. Even now getting a new PC board that has the purple/green connectors and not just USB ports for keys/mouse is becoming a rarity. Printers have jumped from the parallel port to usb. A gameport hasn't existed in years (if you're wondering, that was a port your gamepad/joystick went into). Graphics cards have hopped between AGP and PCI. Memory has gone through 3 or 4 format changes. Good luck finding a 5.25 inch floppy drive to play your original Zork game on. Even a 3.5 inch to install the original Duke Nukem trilogy is pretty rare and generally a cusotm option.

Theres a lot of workarounds for software, but thats what they are, is workarounds. Equivalent to hacking up an emulator on your PS3 to read PS1 discs. Depending how old you want to go, you can vary from "Compatibiity Mode", having to roll back drivers, running Dosbox, outright having a boot disk to load some weird managers, using a emulation engine (Like Exult for Ultima 7). I like GoG as much as the next guy, but they do have to go through a significant process to verify they're releasing each title in some workable state.
 

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
4,742
0
41
Country
USA
IamQ said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
IamQ said:
Why would it? No other console has supported the previous ones' controller
Sega genesis supported Sega master controllers/light guns with the power base converter that made it backwards compatible.
ps1 original or dual shock and memory cards would work on a ps2
ps3 has a external adapters for memory cards and controllers that works to transfer saves and use controllers for backwards compatibly "when the system first launched"
the wii allowed you to use game-cube controllers/memory card slots built in
The Wiiu allows you to use all of your old wii controllers, accessories and plays Wii games and even transfer over all of your virtual console games via wifi from your old wii.

So in short sony goofed up by not letting their blue-tooth/sixaxs wireless controller work with their new system.
I meant, no previous playstation console has supported the previous controller
That's still not true. You can use PS1 controllers on the PS2, but you lose the pressure sensitive button functionality. Not every game used it, so it was an acceptable loss. As others have stated, you could also get a USB adapter to work on the PS3 with your older controllers. The PS4 is the first Sony console to fully abandon previous generation controllers.

To be fair, between the NES and N64, Nintendo always made you upgrade with the system. To be more fair, each console was a significant leap ahead that there was barely any crossover for the controller's functionality to even work in later generations. No one would have complained that they couldn't use their NES controller for Zelda: Ocarina of Time.