The -r at the end of norse names?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I've had a fascination with Norse myth for a little while, and, I need to know, can anyone explain what the r suffix is for?

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
To my knowledge, it's just short for "er", "ur" or "ar"(that wasn't weird to type at all). Baldr = Balder.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I've no background in the subject, but I don't think it's a suffix, just a vowel contraction, like Tayh said.

Maybe it's got something to do with the alphabet?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Tayh said:
To my knowledge, it's just short for "er", "ur" or "ar"(that wasn't weird to type at all). Baldr = Balder.
Really?, because I saw Heimdall's name spelled as Heimdallr in a book once.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I may be wrong on this, but I believe that's a transliteration choice.

Often, when things weren't originally written in Latin script, there are multiple ways to represent them in Latin script, it's going to depend on the translator's prefered transliteration practice.

For example, the Tao Te Ching or Dao De Jing was written by Laozi or Lao-Tzu or Lao-Tze.

The Joseon or Choson or Chosun dynasty ruled Korea for five centuries.

It's basically caused by the fact that some words don't really lend themselves perfectly to the phonetic sounds of the Latin alphabet because they were orginally written or spoken with a different set of phonetic sounds.

It could also be due to cultural and linguistic differences between different sources themselves, but I'm less sure on that.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/old-norse-suffix-r.2574726/ was the only thing i managed to find using my google-fu.
although its worth pointing out that the modern pronunciation (or at least the one i grew up with) of the norse gods doesn't use the R at the end meaning Ullr becomes Ull and Baldr becomes Balder etc.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's probably because Tho the God of Thunde and Ty the God of Wa sounded too silly to be taken seriously.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I would take a guess that it's one of those "this letter is there in the original language, but is silent in the translation" So if the person writing the name is staying true to the source material, you will get extra letters that, in English, don't really serve any purpose, but in the original, have some meaning in pronunciation.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Happyninja42 said:
I would take a guess that it's one of those "this letter is there in the original language, but is silent in the translation" So if the person writing the name is staying true to the source material, you will get extra letters that, in English, don't really serve any purpose, but in the original, have some meaning in pronunciation.
As a modern-day Norwegian, I'm pretty sure this is the explanation.