The Rarest Game You Ever Owned...EVAR1

wookiee777

Mar 5, 2012
Simple question: what is the rarest game you have ever owned in your whole life?

Mine is a fun little game for the Playstation 1 called "Norse by Norsewest" which was developed by Blizzard of all companies. Apparently it's pretty rare; I only found five copies on Ebay, but they weren't too expensive. I got mine from a local game store. I just wish the game had a proper case, I bought it in a cheap-o case the store put it in and moved it to a stronger jewel case.

EDIT: When I say "Rare" I'm referring to whatever this site says

http://www.rarityguide.com/priceguides.html

or things that have very few listing on sites like Ebay or Amazon (and games you made yourself don't count.)

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Probably a few of the games I made myself whilst a kid on an Amiga.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
There is an old external hard drive gathering dust in a box under my desk. On that drive, among other things, is a copy of a game that one of my old friends made in a high school computer programming class. (It's basically a bullet hell type game.)

It's the only copy in existence.

I'm pretty sure that's as rare as something can get.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for the PS2. At least I hope it was rare, because it was expensive as hell

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Not counting games I or my friends have made :p I believe that would be Team Buddies for the PS1. I have Soleil (aka Crusader of Centy) on the Megadrive which I believe is quite rare, too.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Well before the MGS HD collection came out, which totally destroyed this game.

I have MGS3 subsistence, which I saw go for as much as £140 on ebay/amazon, and I saw a lot £40 -£80. I bought mine for £14, so I got a bit of a bargain.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I've got a signed and sealed copy of The Witcher 2 on 360. Not sure if that counts as "rare", but I guess it's unusual and has some value to it.

I have some other games which may or may not be considered rare for various reasons. I have some games which may not exactly be uncommon, but you can't really get hold of them so easily now since they're out of print, but still in high demand. I also have games which aren't seen around much, or at least not mentioned, because they weren't well received/didn't sell very well.

Just as a random assortment of the kind of stuff I'm talking about, I have Jade Empire Limited Edition, Wind Waker Limited Edition, a first production run of Shadow of the Colossus with the card sleeve case, the Game Boy Player for GC, some random obscure racing games on PS2, and Muramasa on Wii. Apart from The Witcher 2, that's the kind of "rare" games I usually have. I don't have any priceless treasures from a past age, but I think at least some of what I have may become that in the future.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
I had Intelligent Qube back on the original psx. When Funcoland was big I traded it in for some shit game like Contra: Legacy of War. I had the blue disc MvC 2 as well I still have that one though.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I have DOOM on the Playstation somewhere, along with Resident Evil 1 and 3. The Resident Evils barely work at all.

I also have around 30 SNES games from when mine still worked 15 years ago. I even have Turtles in Time and RoboCop vs Terminator.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
I'd have to say my copy of Legend of Dragoon, though I don't really know how "rare" it is. I also have original copies of FF VII-IX.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
Rarest thing I ever had was a copy of Gunstar Heroes for the Sega Genesis. I don't even really think it's that rare.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I have the box, game and instruction manuals for FF3 (6) in near-mint condition.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Not counting games I or my friends have made :p I believe that would be Team Buddies for the PS1.
I also have Team Buddies for the PS1. What a brilliant game; my friends and I had so much fun with that back in the day!

I don't know if the PS1 and PC versions of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds count as rare but I have both of those too. As well as a copy of the Doctor Who game Destiny of the Doctors.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Well of my games the most rare one I still own would probably be ET for the 2600 (most of them have been dumped in a landfill in New Mexico). This game is responsible for the downfall of Atari.

A few other rare games I own;
I have the gold cart versions of every Zelda up to Majora's Mask.
2 unopened copies of Deus Ex (one original run and one game of the year)
Black case FF7
Black Case Parasite Eve
Black Case Vagrant Story
Black Case Xenogears
Crystalis
Fantasy Empires with Manual

I am sure I have a few others that are considered rare, but I don't really go out of my way to collect them.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
I still own a factory sealed copy of the special edition of Earthbound. The one that came with the strategy guide. Its sitting comfortably in a safety deposit box at my bank.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
I do not know what really counts as rare. Rare as in low production numbers or rare as in rarely heard about?

Ogre Battle 64 I think is a decent piece, at least in concern to his retail copy. Both desirable and rare.

I also managed to get that special edition Guilty Gear Accent Core PLUS for the Wii. Its not worth the money though, sadly. I have a couple rare Wii games I guess, like the Data East Arcade Collection, and that SNK one. The Data East Arcade collection is a must have for any Wii owner. I think its rare because I only new copy I saw was at Toys R' us in a discount bin.

I have all sorts of things I consider to be rare, but quite honestly they are really terrible horrible things I would not want to wish on anyone. I have quite a few really bad PC games that are rarely ever mentioned on the internet. Sadly they are not worth talking about because they are bad in the fashion that they are just plain boring and or have terrible gameplay. Not like Big Rigs so bad its hilarious, but a sort of functional yet ugly kind of boring bad that is not funny.

Also I have the PC version of Norse by Norsewest. However, it won't work on modern hardware correctly.