The Real Robot Uprising Begins, Then Ends

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Real Robot Uprising Begins, Then Ends

The US military put down a rogue robot last week when a deadly unmanned aerial vehicle went out of control, forcing the Air Force to shoot it down.

The world had a close call with the inevitable robot uprising last Sunday. Things were going smoothly on a combat mission in Afghanistan when an American Reaper MQ-9 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-9_Reaper] - an autonomously controlled unmanned aerial vehicle (yes, a UAV just like in Call of Duty 4) capable of destroying tanks and buildings - suddenly went out of control.

"The aircraft was flying a combat mission when positive control of the MQ-9 was lost," USAFCENT Public Affairs reported. "When the aircraft remained on a course that would depart Afghanistan's airspace, a US Air Force manned aircraft took proactive measures to down the Reaper in a remote area of northern Afghanistan."

The Reaper was taken down and crashed into the side of a mountain. Nobody was injured.

A simple malfunction, perhaps, or possibly evidence of something more sinister? Details are scarce, though it seems like the Reaper was controlling itself and wasn't being piloted remotely when it started to veer off course. In any case, that's one fewer Reaper for the Air Force (they only have 27 now) and some $10.5 million down the drain. That's quite a bit of money to lose, but no price is too high when it comes to staving off the cyber-apocalypse.

[Via The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/15/killer_robot_killed_by_fighter_jet/]]

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Oh. Your. God.

That is terrifying.

Seriously, thats why making robots who can think for themselves is a bad idea.

sallene

Dec 11, 2008
I for one welcome the eventual rise of our robot masters and I am more than willing to oversee a human labor camp.......

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Well if it was just being used for Air-recon it probably didnt have any weapons on it, so the only real danger would have been it crash landing on something. Either way, the Airforce had to take care of it ASAP they really dont need another bad PR move.
Two words: combat mission.

This thing was ready to end us.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Damn, I knew I should of waited before telling it to move away... I really should hire better robo-minions.
That's it, I'm firing that Reaper. oh. too late...

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
They should have built in a self-destruct-mechanism...
Actually, we don't have to worry about a robot uprising, not as long as we have something called E.M.P..

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Cue dramatic music!
How about if it was secretly hacked... ?!

Cyberwarfare suddenly becoming not to virtual and a load of rockets under the control of someone other than the military. Frightening stuff imho :S

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Speaking as someone who knows how these things work, it's more likely that that the remote satellite connection to the Reaper was cut off after it's last order was given. Or maybe i'm just a member of the government cover-up trying to convince you that everything is okay. Who knows.
ae86gamer said:
Seriously, thats why making robots who can think for themselves is a bad idea.
They don't think for themselves. A pilot on the ground controls the vehicle via a satellite uplink that then sends order to the vehicle. It's more complicated that but it's a general outline.

Peanut Butter

May 19, 2009
Keane Ng said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Well if it was just being used for Air-recon it probably didnt have any weapons on it, so the only real danger would have been it crash landing on something. Either way, the Airforce had to take care of it ASAP they really dont need another bad PR move.
Two words: combat mission.

This thing was ready to end us.
Hardly ready to end us, it was in afghanistand i doubt it had the fuel capacity for long range flight. Also limited ammunition

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
We all know somebody probably just spilled Coke on there keyboard when they were piloting one of these things, it sure as hell wasnt actually controlling itself.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Son of *****, it's only a matter of time before we're fighting them in the streets and office buildings!

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
oshin said:
We all know somebody probably just spilled Coke on there keyboard when they were piloting one of these things, it sure as hell wasnt actually controlling itself.
That's what it WANTS you to think...