the REAL way to make a silent kill

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
archont said:
let said:
Twist their neck really fast to the side, snap their brain stem. Then the body is even made easy to thief style hide if nesecary due to no blood (pulling their shoulders in the other direction will help to) This is the real silent kill
I assume you've practiced this technique and can name the instructor who taught it to you?
He was taught by the best...

For the truely silent kill just make sure you knife this guy:

He won't say a word. I promise.

Kebabas McSauce

Mar 23, 2010
...I find this thread highly disturbing,despite the fact that more than half of people here are pulling stuff out of their asses.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
If you've got time, don't use a weapon. Blood choke and pin them until the heart stops.

If you don't have time, gag them, cut the throat and then pin them. Thrashing about and gurgling are cut off that way. If that's too risky, pin and gag first, then stab for the armpit and bleed 'em through there. There are more main arteries than just the carotid.

Trying to force a knife through bone, even thin bone, isn't a reliable method. Thin bone can redirect a blade, even if it doesn't stop it. You're pretty likely to miss.

...I enjoy being disturbing... and sharing little bits of my training with the world...

Morbissus

Jun 9, 2011
Clasp a hand over the mouth. Stab downward between the shoulder muscle & collar bone. Dead before they hit the ground.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Sorry, I don't really see the point of this thread. FYI, the knife through the lower torso into the kidney is the tactic they taught soldiers in WW2. The pain is so incredibly intense that you can't actually make a sound...so I've heard.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
When training knifing techniques note that clasping the hand over the opponent's mouth has to be very firm. If there's no bruising it's not firm enough.

You kids go off and practice and I'll stop giving advice for now before I get into an NSA watchlist.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
Lt_Bromhead said:
My dad was a commando, and I seem to remember him mentioning clapping a hand over the victim's mouth and just stabbing him in the throat as much as possible.

He may have been telling me tall tales, however...
I was only about ten at the time...
Your dad told you this when you were ten... F*cking rad!

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
Eddo36 said:
I've read some of Marine Mike Reviews here, and thought to add one of my own like his.

There is a myth going on about slitting somebody's throat with a knife is a silent kill. It is anything but silent. The enemy will gurgle and thrash around until his brains run out of oxygen, creating a lot of noise in the process.

No, if you want a silent kill, you gotta put your blade at the indent at the base of your enemy's skull (bone is thin there) and slam upward at a 45-degree angle. You'll scramble his medulla oblongata and the motor senses are cut off immediately.

I think they did that in one of the later CoD games, like Black Ops.
if you slit some ones throat correctly it is silent.
the blade must be pushed in deep enough to damage the carotid artery as well as the larynx. such method will cause the individual to pass out from blood loss in little less then 2 seconds and make them incapable of making any noise what so ever.

the only problem with such a technique isn't that it is loud.. it's that it is messy... just like every other knife attack out there. you'll often create massive amounts of blood which you will get on the weapon, the target, yourself, as well as two or 3 surrounding areas.

as for your suggestion...
doesn't work 4 out of 5 times.

it requires a high degree of precision, strength, and one hell of a sharp blade. Most of the time the attackers blade will catch the skull and slide off target leaving mostly superficial wounds at best.

the best silent attack is to cup the mouth, lean back with your body (pulling them), then inserting the knife into their kidney/liver. although it is not the quickest it gives you the most control over the situation, which is why the military often teaches that as the primary silent kill method.

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
Why is the majority of people posting to this thread acting like they know what they're talking about? Unless you're posting this from a jail cell, I doubt anyone actually does.

The military don't even go into this stuff that much anymore. Fighting with knives/bayonets is so last century. Hell, nowadays soldiers don't even kill people with guns, believe it or not. It's all about holding position until you can get in artillery or a gunship to blow up whoever's shooting at you. They say in Iraq, for every 250,000 rounds fired, only one combatant is actually killed by small arms fire.
Ha ha a slightly better ratio than the one assessed for WWI... I'm no soldier, never been in a war, but have had a few moments with guns (shotguns and a rifle once) which were kinda hairy and been in enough fights in my youth to know a few things:-

Movies lie. Guys don't go limp with a single punch, knocking someone out with a straight punch to the head is pretty darned hard and certainly not guaranteed. I've done it a couple of times but each time it's been more luck than anything.

The silent kill is a myth. Death is ugly and loud in almost every form. Whether it's the gurgles of a throat cut (from the cut in the throat not the mouth itself, so clamping the mouth would be ultimately pointless), the sound made from a silencer (which is never truly silent), to the sleeper hold which still allows for grunting, gurgling and thrashing all of which make noise.

The neck break... Dear god every guy I know thinks this is the best silent kill ever and it's total Hollywood BS. As soon as you put your hand on someone's face their instinct is to pull away, meaning you not only have to break the bone but also the force the strong neck muscles pulling the other way. I've heard of techniques that counter this, but they take skill, practice and not a small amount of luck.

If you had a non-proficient combatant who panicked while attacked you MIGHT be able to get off a pretty quiet kill, but any soldier worth their salt, when attacked, would do considerably more than thrash about and go limp.

With regards to the OP, really you're down to poison or gas. If in a sealed room CO would be great because it starves the body of oxygen slowly and puts the person to sleep. The same would be true of a sedative, but it would need to be a contact sedative or the person targetted would feel the pinprick of a dart or needle. A contact paralytic would similarly be good, something on a coin dropped near their sight (if on a grassy plain) would work, or a note if somewhere more audible as long as there is a slight breeze and you're upwind. Still, not very easy to target an individual and not foolproof, depending on individual resistances to the paralytic and time taken for full effect.

Oh, I just remembered, there's the British Army guy who killed someone from several kilometres away. While silenced and in mountains the noise was supposed to be dispersed enough that the guy got hit without ever seeing a muzzle flash or hearing the sound of the shot. Got two guys that way, although under exceptional weather conditions and using tremendous skill. I doubt anyone reading or contributing to this would manage the same shot!

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
Bonelord said:
Warlord Timmy said:
And the point of this thread is....?
To provide the police with suspects apparently.
Nah, they have enough on their hands with the suspects running about in London to bother with us reprobates. :)

Theoretically killing someone is kind of a guy thing like debating the best tactics once the zombie apocalypse starts (shotgun, lotsa shells and sword for me), it's harmless fun really. I remember debating the guy-ness of a female friend who reckoned she was one of the blokes so I asked her about her zombie apocalypse plan. She looked at me like I was insane and I said text your husband the same question. He came back with an answer inside of five minutes from sending the text...

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
Blablahb said:
Good luck trying to stick a knife through the entire spine at the base of the skull.

45 degree angle would mean you're aiming roughly at the nose or upper mouth by the way.
No, he's actually right. My human anatomy and physiology professor also happened to be an expert in medieval swordsmanship... go figure that one out... but he taught us fighting techniques in the classroom as well as biology stuff - this was one of them.

In reality though, according to him, you don't even need to technically aim at any angle. the entire base of the neck is weak, and odds are you'll SERIOUSLY fuck shit up if you hit anywhere around there.
Thing is the thread was about a silent kill not a guaranteed one. I agree, any serious injury to the spine would put someone down super fast, but silently? Quietly is quite likely by many of the suggestions given, but since the guillotine was banned in many countries because it had a habit of NOT severing the head and was considerably heavier than most blades, I don't think the practicalities of a spinal severing are a good way to go. Besides, if you don't sever the cords then you end up with twitching and thrashing = noise.

I guess we need the OP to be more specific about the conditions? Is the victim within ten metres of someone else? Twenty? Thirty? Seperate room, outside, weather, background noise?

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
Lt_Bromhead said:
Redratson said:
Lt_Bromhead said:
My dad was a commando, and I seem to remember him mentioning clapping a hand over the victim's mouth and just stabbing him in the throat as much as possible.

He may have been telling me tall tales, however...
I was only about ten at the time...
Thats the way I always knew how to make a silent kill work, or all of the old war movies with commandos and or criminal-to-commandos movies were lying to me since I was 8.

Wait, does this make my dad....*shudders*....RIGHT?! o_O

Oh god. :/
.....no..................yea

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
archont said:
You are correct, OP.

Reference material:
Warning: violent subject matter.
http://www.bestgore.com/beheading/dagestan-massacre-1999-video-worst-beheading/

[small]Note to mods: this isn't intended as a shock site, a warning about graphic content was provided.[/small]

All in all I don't recommend learning those techniques from games.

The perfect knife for performing this technique would be something like the Cold Steel AK-47. However I still would choose the versatility of a longer knife for overt use.
archont said:
Tax_Document said:
Huh? Slicing the jugular is one of the most efficient types of killing available, just clamp your hand over their mouth to muffle the gurglin' and off you pop to another slaughter.
What? No.

The gurgling sound actually comes from the neck. Hitting the jugular without severing the windpipe is hard on a incapacitated subject as it is (see video). It's not really possible to do reliably in the field.

Besides chances are you won't completely transect the jugular in one move. Sure it'll EVENTUALLY result in a kill but it will take longer than movies make you think and won't be nowhere near as clean.
archont said:
Comando96 said:
...if your fast you can breat their spine... by twisting their neck to a 120 Degree angle, which would do the same as the knife to the back of the skull... but without the need for a knife.
Have you actually practiced the technique you're describing or are you pulling it out of your arse?

If the former who was your instructor.
Not questioning you or anything, but how do you know so much about killing people? O_e

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
otakon17 said:
What about a trench spike through the skull or temple?
or a railway spike... though that might not do anything except change your entire personality...

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Silent kill? Easy. You just insert a mind probe deep enough into their mind so that you can take control of their vital functions, then just shut then down all at once. Easy, clean, and silent as can be.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
Eddo36 said:
I've read some of Marine Mike Reviews here, and thought to add one of my own like his.

There is a myth going on about slitting somebody's throat with a knife is a silent kill. It is anything but silent. The enemy will gurgle and thrash around until his brains run out of oxygen, creating a lot of noise in the process.

No, if you want a silent kill, you gotta put your blade at the indent at the base of your enemy's skull (bone is thin there) and slam upward at a 45-degree angle. You'll scramble his medulla oblongata and the motor senses are cut off immediately.

I think they did that in one of the later CoD games, like Black Ops.
This is why people blame video games on mass murders.

PancakesSUCKTHEYDO

Mar 9, 2011
The best way is to choke them. Takes longer, but they cannot cry out. (not with your hands of course, a Garrot or something similar.